Firewall recommendation for small business

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by matt85, Aug 31, 2020.

1. matt85

matt85 Member

Hi

I am wanting to get some recommendations on Firewalls people use in Small to Medium Businesses as I have a friend that I am rebuilding their network for their business as they are moving to NBN and Hosted VOIP Phone System

Normally I use and recommend Sophos XG Firewalls, sometimes Mikrotik and using a decent antivirus on the workstations and servers.

But wanting to know what other people put into small businesses for Firewalls that are cost affective

Matthew

2. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

darknebula likes this.
  3. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Mikrotik is fine, hell any linux box would be fine, no need for these marketing hyped devices that do the same thing at 5 plus times the price

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Not sure if the deal is still running but if you buy a 3 year sub for sophos xg you get the appliance free (and you own it, it isn't leased)

5. bcann

bcann Member

we use watchguard, a little exxy but good quality.

mesaoz likes this.
  6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Can also vouch for a good firebox... interface is a bit weird but once you learn it, it all makes sense.

bcann likes this.
  7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The vast majority of smaller places I stumble across these days are either running pfSense or Ubiquiti USG. The latter particularly if they use UniFi wireless gear.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

all firewalls are cancer. without exception.

None of them are consistent in approach. All of them have different idiosyncrasies. Even within the same vendor (e.g ASA vs Firepower vs Meraki, SG vs XG, etc).

Pick your poison, drown and move on with life.

Nobby6 likes this.
  9. bym007

bym007 Member

With one of my previous employers, I used to design and deploy Sophos XG appliances in similar situations as yours.
    Sophos XG productline has its issues, but overall, its a half decent box, which caters well to the SMB market.
    This depends on the number of concurrent users, but my advise would be dont go for anything below XG125.