REVIEW First AM4 APU Review on Youtube

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by shanetsh, Sep 4, 2017.

1. shanetsh

shanetsh Member

So... I guess we're finally first at something

Thinking about switching over to AMD's AM4 Platform but your momma won't let you? Have no fear, the new APUs are here.

Priced even lower than the previous low end king, the Ryzen 3 1200, these APUs are made for users who do not wish to get a dedicated graphics card (for home theater PCs or eSports gaming). They were launched along with the other Bristol Ridge chips; 8 APUs and 3 CPUs in total.

We see these APUs as a gateway into the AM4 platform since AMD has released a plethora of options as far as processors are concerned. So you can map out your upgrade path however you like.

Test setup:
    MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
    2x8GB Galax HOF 3600Mhz DDR4
    AMD Wraith Spire Cooler
    Aigo G-T500 500w 80Plus Bronze
    WD Blue 250GB Sata III SSD

Test subjects:
    A8-9600
    A10-9700E

Synthetic Benchmarks:
    1. Cinebench R15
    2. 7zip
    3. 3D Mark - Cloudgate & Firestrike

Realworld Benchmarks:
    1. Photoshop CC 2017 - Radial Blur Filter Test
    2. Premiere Pro CC 2017 - 1080p H264 Export

Gaming Benchmarks:
    1. CSGO - 1080p Low & Medium
    2. DOTA 2 - 1080p Low & Medium
    3. PUBG - 1080p Low

PS: I wonder if you guys would actually buy something like this considering the almost minuscule price difference to the Ryzen 3 1200? Do let me know. =)

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

4C/4T? Bitterly disappointed, I was hoping for something like a megacore Ryzen with onboard graphics. I wouldn't be in the market for either personally.

I want the productivity gains of a 1700 with the convenience of basic onboard graphics. I was hoping it wouldn't be an either/or situation.

Damn. Oh well, Ryzen 1700 with discrete GPU it is then...

However.... an A320 mobo with the A8-9600 would make an insanely cheap and capable facebook machine for Joe Average and his significant other. A low end AMD chip that's actually worth buying for the average user.. that hasn't happened since early this century.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

Zen based APUs are only coming out Q1 or Q2 next year.
    I think this is a great option for either:

1. Someone who wants the cheapest option possible for a processor for an AM4 build but are looking to upgrade in the future.

2. A Hometheatre PC or more Casual gaming. Maybe for their kids to play Minecraft on.

4. TaroT

TaroT Member

yes they are not worth much if you wanted one i would go the lower end with the fastest ram you can spare then drop in a zen2 or the new apu when they drop.
    these boards and sockets will be around for a very long time.

5. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

these APUs have RAM speed limitations. I doubt the newer Zen based APUs would support higher than 2800Mhz RAM Speeds.