first custom water loop - need your help :)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by riccoo, Jun 18, 2019.

1. riccoo

riccoo Member

Hey all so i am looking at doing my first custom water loop and been susing out parts for weeks and think ive gotten it together, i only be doing the cpu block for now and add in the gpu later

Cpu i9 9900k
    case core p5 tempered glass edition

here is the parts im looking at,
    [​IMG]

my few questions are below:
    1. Has anyone used byski parts before?
    2. Has anyone purchased from aliexpress before?
    3. Is there hacks on aliexpress page to get max return on the coupon system they have?
    as usual much love and xoxo

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

3. dasa2

dasa2 Member

I would avoid 90 bends where possible if you care about flow rates.
    Haven't used those blocks myself but they seem to be making some of the best performance and value blocks for Radeon VII although there does seem to be a little variance in the quality of the finish on the base plate and how flat it is.

Looks like a 3000RPM model of the pump vs 4000RPM

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

what about the pump and res thats where im really stuck atm prices go from $80 to $200

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I've had a lot of experience with Barrow and a little with Bykski mate - no issues to report. Mostly fittings, but I've got Barrow reservoirs, pump heads and flow indicators and things too.

I'm interested in how their blocks and radiators go - make sure you report back! You should be able to find that radiator with free shipping somewhere, that seems excessive.

Don't sweat 90 Degree bends - if you like the look just do it, the sum of all the bends in a little loop doesn't make much difference to flow rates.

The DDC coupled to that Barrow reservoir may be a bit noisy (the older models were), but it gets good reviews. Steer clear of Bykski pumps for now - their D5 at least, although it looks cool, uses Aluminium in the build - you don't want to mix too many metals together. If you're going copper for a radiator (the part with the most coolant contact), stick with copper/nickel/brass throughout. Corrosion will take longer to set in. Put something in your water to prolong it further - automoive coolant works if you want a colour, otherwise distilled water and a biocide will do.

I buy from AliExpress all the time - apart from not accepting PayPal, their order process is simple, there's often little seller-specific coupons you can add, and I like their feedback/receipt acknowledgement process better than eBay's.

Don't forget your tube!

6. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

<3 <3 <3 <3 thanks i will prob dump the byski pump res i got and get this barrow 240mm ddc pwm res and pump bundle not only cheaper but better parts, but does load speed matter, this is a 3k version?

7. trevor68

trevor68 Member

I've had a Barrow 90 degree swivel start to leak after a few years service, but I replaced it with another one :)

8. juzz86

juzz86 Member

You're welcome. Load speed refers to the RPM of the pump at full-tilt - that one looks good, 5+m head (in marketing) at 3000RPM means a pretty strong impeller setup. All DDCs pump well, the early ones just had a whine rather than a hum :thumbup:

Specs on that Barrow one look pretty close to the DDC 3.2 - if true, it means it should run quieter than the older ones.

riccoo likes this.
  9. dasa2

dasa2 Member

I am running a 4400RPM DDC PWM (Swiftech Apogee drive II)
    Up to 34% 2500RPM it is fairly quiet
    At 3000RPM it develops a deep hum
    50% 4000RPM it is getting annoyingly loud and winy but does drop my Radeon VII junction temp ~5c vs 2500RPM

10. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

noise isnt really and issue, i run 3 pcs in one room