First experience of my HT and DTS! Wow!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Morgues, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Morgues

Morgues Member

Hi guys,

Been a LONG time since I have posted in here. I posted a couple of years ago in regards to purchasing some gear for my 21st, and the result, after some advice and help from people here, was I got a Marantz 5200 and a pair of Dali Blue 6006 speakers. YUM YUM! At the start of this year I bought a Yamaha subby, and I forget the model number and I'm too lazy to go check :) This has added an AMAZING feel to the sound coming through!!! But I guess most people would already assume that ;)

Anyhoo, I just had an idea of using some of my dad's older speakers as rears, and the TV as a centre, to see if I could get some surround sound action happening...and by god did I get it going.

Was watching Return of the King (imo the best move and DVD ever), and thought 'hmmm might switch it to DTS' because I had it on Dolby, what I assumed to be the better sound format...as far as this DVD goes, I was wrong! The DTS soundtrack is FUCKING AMAZING! (sorry had to emphasise that). I mean goddamn, the stereo soundtrack is great, the subby adds a whole new dimension. The Dolby soundtrack was another step up as it seemed to handle the dispersion of frequencies to all the speakers really well, and the surround was great. But when I switched to DTS, I was overwhelmed.

Perhaps its the way they mixed the DVD. Perhaps the DTS mix was the master mix. I really dont know, but it raised a few questions, so I thought I might shoot em off to you guys :)

With DVDs, is DTS a better quality sound? Is it more enhanced or something?

I thought I might have been hearing things, but when the sound goes from being great to AMAZING, surely theres a reason behind it. I guess I always assumed Dolby was the best. I guess in terms of my DIY HT setup, DTS wins hands down. :)

Anyone else have any similar experiences in terms of one format shitting all over another? At the moment I am thinking of naming my first born (when I have one) DTS...dont worry I'm sure I will come to my senses ;)

2. The King

The King Member

DTS shits on Dolby.

3. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

amen to that... I dont like the THX certified shit either... just plain DTS is better than THXultra, THX optimised dolby and THX optimised DTS imo

4. iNeLuKi

iNeLuKi (Banned or Deleted)

If you haven't already check out FOTR and TTT with DTS. Some amazing stuff that'll send chills down your spine. I love the cave troll scene when it swings the chain around its head you can hear the tinkle go around the room. There are heaps of subtle things like a bird tweeting as it flies through the soundstage from back right to front left.

5. B1n0ry

B1n0ry Member

DTS is encoded at a higher bit-rate.
    I believe the LFE channel is encoded at a +10 level (or something like that), meaning better fidelity on the low frequency rumble.

But basically, some movies concentrate on the DTS mix, some on the DD mix. So which one sounds best will vary from movie to movie.

6. uforia

uforia Member

Some DVDs were originally encoded with Dolby and a dodgy job done with DTS, so even though the bitrate of DTS is higher it can sound worse. But generally speaking DTS seems to win out :)

7. The King

The King Member

Is the default generally the way to go?

8. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

I wouldnt say so... Molin Rouge is default in Dolby Digital to start off with(if i remember correctly).. But the DTS setting really sets it off :)

9. iNeLuKi

iNeLuKi (Banned or Deleted)

I've never had a movie default to DTS, always had to pick it.

10. OP
    OP
    Morgues

Morgues Member

Yeah it does seem odd that you have to manually select DTS. But we can live with that ;)

I have had a look through my DVD collection and I would say only 10% have DTS:

-LOTR Trilogy
    -Gladiator
    -Top Gun SE
    -Pirates of the Caribean
    -Finding Nemo (WTF?)
    -Terminator 2 UE
    -Seven (i guess this makes sense, as Fincher is a perfectionist)
    -Predator SE
    -Die Hard 1 + 2

There are a lot of special editions in that list of movies that are old. Funny how some of them must go to the effort ot make a DTS soundtrack...hell I aint gonna complain ;)

11. The King

The King Member

Bloody Top Gun, I bought the DVD a while ago, but the SE wasn't available, so I don't think I got DTS :~(

12. OP
    OP
    Morgues

Morgues Member

The SE is definitely worth getting, as I too bought the original crappy edition on DVD.

The extras are an added bonus to the DTS as well :)

13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I have both the normal version and the region 1 SE version of Top Gun and I have to say that the SE version absoultely rocks, for it's age it's one of the best sounding movies i've heard in a long time in DTS and the sound mix walks all over the standard version of the movie.

The sound when they shut off the afterburners after leaving the aircraft carrier is just awesome - Shakes the house.

14. The King

The King Member

Godamnit it.
    I'll buy it tommorow you bastards ;)

15. SugarFreeGum

SugarFreeGum Member

Just bought DTS special edition Top Gun for $14 from Big W!

16. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Recommend me a DTS movie that will show me the capabilities of my HT system

Cheers

Z

17. The King

The King Member

Collateral or Swordfish?

18. OP
    OP
    Morgues

Morgues Member

Top Gun is great for pure balls and action :) Also its the hella coolest movie.

Um...so far Return of the King Extended Edition has been the most impressive film so far. The differences I have heard between the DD and DTS soundtrack are immense. Plus I love that movie so maybe I am biased.

Try Top Gun, Black Hawk Down (the SE has DTS) or something with a BIG soundtrack.

Oh and King - you will NOT regret the purchase. Its pure class that DVD. Awesome film. Awesome extras. Awesome sound. Awesome to the max!

19. OP
    OP
    Morgues

Morgues Member

Predictable Hollywood machine's action flick. Only two redeeming features:

1 - The explosion.
    2 - Those two lovely mammary glands of a Ms Halle Berry :leet:

Oh and add another one cause Hugh Jackman is in it, and Wolverine is the mad note!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  20. proffesso

proffesso Member

Superbit Fifth Element
    Zatoiichi (takeshi kitano)

both have excellent DTS tracks.

most japanese films i have contain DTS soundtracks, dont know why most US releases are usually DD only