First Mod. Project Airbus A330QQQ - 56K? Bahahah...NO!!!

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by the Fan-Man, Jul 7, 2009.

1. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

Here is my first ever mod *other than the Bodgy car radiator mod*, i properly did this one! got a dremel and everything!

My design was to use an old sh!tty ATX compliant case (from a PIII or equiv) and turn it into some sort of novelty computer case, with actual functionality.

I decided to turn my simple case into *similar to* an aircraft!

after serious issues (which will be discussed) i managed to finish in an amazing two weeks. vs the 6 i had set aside for it!

enjoy!!!!!!11!!11one1!!1
    --------------------------------------------

Click to view full size!

this is the case i started with. An Edsys ATX with a pentium 3, 1.41GHz unit in. scrapped and gutted, the computer case resembled any old ATX with poor cooling. 80mm exhaust and intake only. But when im done, no need for any fans!

this is the interiour of the case:

Click to view full size!

, took off the sides and fumegated it in the backyard with primer :D
    then spray painted it with Glossy black paint. looks fantastic!
    note i didnt use primer on the top of the case, you will see why later!

Click to view full size!

next was to take off the front bezel plate and paint it better colours than its stock crap beige and blue. Black and blue and silver for me thanks!

Click to view full size!

i took out the buttons and spray painted the power and reset switches silver, not seen in pics tho

both the case and the front got triple coating over the course of 36 hours!

2. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

next was for the major novelty item!

I have planned to get two engines on the top of the case, sucking in cool air and exhausting hot air. these engines will consist of super high speed computer fans with PWM speed controlling units.

i decided to use 92MM Nidec computer fans. Making the housing will be Tre' hard! so i got some 100mm PVC pipe from bunnings, 90mm pipe, 2mm too small, blades scrape it.

Click to view full size!

so the pipe was cut into 2 18.5CM lengths. to make the larger cowling of the engine casing

Click to view full size!

the pipe was to be spray painted to it had to be sanded down and primed, i found this sander in dad's collection of tools... no matter looks easy to use!

Click to view full size!

sooo......one sander later:

Click to view full size!

i got all pipes sanded, and i drew the cutting lines in it
    2 holes were to be cut in it, one for the intake duct, and the other for the exhaust, Next i bought the best investment of my life! not a BMW, that comes later! a Dremel 400 series! life made easier, i cut out the 2 holes in each *engine* using the cutting piece. after previoisly never using a dremel, i had no clue what a 'mandril' was... so after 40 mins of googling the cutting got under way!

Click to view full size!

and the cutting went very smoothly :D kudos for dirst dremel usage!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

this is the front cowling lip being painted silver, as most engines have that!

Click to view full size!

>> this is completely flukey> i found this pipe adaptor, and it looks just like the bearing cone from the rear of a jet engine! so i sanded it down and got it ready for painting

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

the bearing caps were painted silver on the inside and grey on the outside, the grey manipulated carbon exhaust burn on the engine.

Click to view full size!

the next thing i wanted to do, was to work on the control unit for the fans - as the rest of the gear was under going super coating and drying.

there will be four fans in total, 4 x Nidec TA350DC computer fans, 92mm x 38mm super huge/heavy and high speed. each fan was drawing 2.4A each @ 12v

i wanted the controller to look like engine throttles, so i purchased a kit box from Altronics and ordered 2 x K6008 PWM fan controlling units. the kits were out of stock but altronics offered to ship them free of charge! so i waited!

in the below pic - there is the beige kit box, 2 aluminium knobs, will go on the potentiometres, 2 black plastic stick... believe it or not came from CD roms (front bezel part). and some heat compound + some 3mm screws and bolts. now as the two controllers (1 for each fan, 1 controlles 2 motors). are rated at 5A continuous, the controllers will be pretty much on max load, and incased in a box, so i went and raided some intel northbridge cooling heatsinks to be used on the mossfets and quick recovery diodes of the kit

Click to view full size!

>> these are the super duper fans! i wrecked two dell P4 servers just for these babies!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

this next part was the most conflicting part ever!

how do mount the 92mm fans IN the 100mm pipe? not very easy!
    i went thru several processes, one was to shave down the corners of the fan so it could be slid into the pipe:

this took about 1 hour per fans and kept scratching the PVC pipe

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

For this i tested on an MEC (totally rubish) 92mm Computer fan!

Click to view full size!

another idea was to use a PCI bracket, but that would have caused too much obstruction of air flow

the next idea occured to me 24 hours later, make my own bracket and cut it out of sheet metal using my dremel (the sheet metal used here is old computer case sides).

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

after cutting out the arm, i decided to try it with a propper wight and dimension 92mm fan, i used a spare NMB 5910PL series fan *afaik*,

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

drilled holes for mounting

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

and success!

Click to view full size!

in order to bold them to the fan housing, i needed to make the screws shorter so they wouldnt obstruct the fans

Click to view full size!

tried the rear fan aswell, and wallah!!!!

Click to view full size!

4. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

so now it was the cutting of the fans!

the real ones too, so i had to get it right! no second chances! the cutting went overall well:

Click to view full size!

spray painted the fans Grey, as engine turbines are grey

Click to view full size!

then attached the bearing housing to the rear fan to see what it would look like, and furthemore look into mounting options

Click to view full size!

in the time being, (12 days till completion) i decided i want the computer ready for RFLAN 27, so the crunch was on! waiting for the paint to dry became tedious so i got some fans together and made a makeshit fan station

Click to view full size!

i dont recomend the following, but i bought these fans in thailand (sunon 120mm 240v AC fans), and they were wired to a thai plug.... so DONT DO THIS AT HOME!!! but time was aginst me!

Click to view full size!

worked quiet well tbh, and cut alot of time.

Click to view full size!

5. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

now was for one side panel, this would be the novelty side and would appear on the right side of the computer (facing it).

Click to view full size!

i decided to put the Qantas logo on it... i like kangaroos!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

good old cup of tea :D

Click to view full size!

got me dremel cutting equip and got cracking!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

decided to try the bearing holsts with the real fans, attached with epoxy glue and cable ties FTWWW!

Click to view full size!

all was going well!

Click to view full size!

got moar supplies from bunnings!

Click to view full size!

and decided to finish skippy off when i got back! it was extremely hard to do, esp on my first propper dremel use!

Click to view full size!

Job well done!!

Click to view full size!
    !!

the engines were starting to take shape!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

i like this in particular! as this is pretty much what the rear of a jet engine looks like!!>>

Click to view full size!

and looky looky what just arrived in the mail!

Click to view full size!

6. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

okie dokie! with the PWM fan controlling units arriving i was able to start the throttle controls. So i went through the tools draw, and found a DSE25W soldering iron, with rust on it! hasn't been used for 4 or so years.

Click to view full size!

Ah! but i have a dremel! so i got out the sanding and sharpening tool and worked on the soldering iron until it was shiny and silver again!

So i got to work on the PCB:

Click to view full size!

>> I encountered two problems with Kit K6008. 6 Words into the introduction of the Kit there was a typo. Didnt make me feel very comfy with it!
    1) there is a revision to the kit, they have removed the seated pot and put a 100K linear potentiometre. So they supplied the new pot, but no was to show how to connect it to the motherboard. which possibly because im not too fancy with micro electronics is the cause of me not knowing
    2) there is a mossfet and a quick-recovery diode. both look like those mosfet thingies. I couldnt tell the difference between them! the parts list, nor the instructions nor the schematics could help, because these were newer parts. so with moth problems i took the kit to Altronics. the gentleman there couldnt help, so they called up headquaters and got help there!

Click to view full size!

You can see in the below pic, the stock heatsinks (small black ones) vs the Intel Chipset heatsinks i want to use!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

second lot of investments!

Click to view full size!

in the mean time, i got back to work on Skippy, yes part of the tail is missing, as the foot, head and tail are holding skippy in, so i had do cut his tail a little short :) sure he doesnt mind :rolleyes:
    just did some basic filing, then planned the QQQ bit. you'll see it a little later!

anywho, back to the soldering!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

it was mounted in the box, with heatsink clan 1, then dual PCB's then heatsink clan 2.

while i wait for the upload cluster to go, thought id explain the fan controllers, these are PWM controlling units, pulse width modulation, This is a miniature version of what is controlling the speed on the new trains in perth, also the oscar sets in sydney - not sure about the tangara tho - never actually been on one :thumbdn: . anywho it doesnt reduce the power going to the motors, just the wavelength, which results in the whining noises in the trains, for the perth trains and oscars, the constant whining noise when the train leaves, then the whining noise ascends. its not the motors, its the controllers Generating the sounds.

Click to view full size!

so none of my kits tend to work, so before finalising instalation i wanted to test the unit. plugged into a 12V battery *borrowed* from the wind turbine battery bank. and used an 80mm Global Win an to test!!

Click to view full size!

AND SUCCESS!!!!

Click to view full size!

so i got to work on the second one!

7. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

Next was to work on the other side case, the main one that will appear (facing) on the left

just a simple design would do, and i decided to use the model of a car radiator fan (in the context of my first ever modification)

using the same method for skippy -

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

i went to mainline plastics and got some acrylic for the windows:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

It was then primed and given 3 coats of glossy black then placed on the cooling rack

Click to view full size!

Special plastic to metal glue was used, along with 4 3mm screws in the corners

Click to view full size!

It was left to dry with a Gel Cell battery on top for weight

Click to view full size!

While that was happening the throttle box was painted black

Click to view full size!

As for the throttle arms, i used 2 aluminium knobs and 2 CD rom bezels to make the throttle handles

Click to view full size!

while that was drying i was finalising the wiring on the throttle controller,

Click to view full size!

then i took a train trip

Click to view full size!

and got some LEDs from another forum user

Click to view full size!

then i made the LED sets to be used inside the engines:
    this is one of the exhaust light sets

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

then i made some Blue lights, for the induction

Click to view full size!

This is how the LEDs were fitted to each engine

Click to view full size!

This was the test of the intake fan:

Click to view full size!

This was the test of the exhaust fan:

Click to view full size!

i ended up putting 2 sets of RED LEDs in the exhaust, giving the awesome effect of:

Click to view full size!

I did that to both engines, with a mass of wires to deal with later:

Click to view full size!

Back to skippy i decided to add some novelty to it, instead of dremeling out "QANTAS" i decided to put QQQ

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

which lead to the priming and spray painting of the side window

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

i had a few RED LEDs remaining so i made a 6 LED DIY fan

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

anywho, back to the case chassis, before if you read previous parts of the mod i said i didnt use primer on the top of the case, this is so i could engrave designs on it it without permanently marking the case

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

so then i decided to remove the rest of the paint and start cutting the roof vent holes

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

just checking to see that it lines up:

Click to view full size!

i ran out of primer :( so i raced to bunnings asap about 8:30pm and got some... i didnt see the fuel guage untill half way home... lucky :)

Click to view full size!

anyway, so i didnt have any black CD RW, so because im stingy i decided to paint a beige one:

Click to view full size!

removing the Bezel for painting:

Click to view full size!

i put a black FDD drive in and some blue LEDs at the front for decoration,

Click to view full size!

with the front case panel on:

Click to view full size!

** so i decided to get to work on the QQQ side panel, putting the RED acrylic on it

the RED acrylic is tinted and see through and was cut to size at mainline plastics.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

then the top engines were attached: im going to confess i used some cardboard, this was only because it was fairly strong and flexible. however the engines are bolted on with 2 x 3mm bolts each on either end

Click to view full size!

which left me with a B!ach of wires to molex :(

Click to view full size!

the mod was starting to take shape :p

Click to view full size!

i decided to fit some LEDs and test the engines once more with the new wiring and mounting

Click to view full size!

i got some COLD cathodes 2 kits from JAYCAR in perth, one blue set and one clear set

the blue set was for the front and bottom of the case, clear set, one will be made red and the other will remain clear to illuminate skippy

Click to view full size!

red Celofame from the reject shop in perth ($1).

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

however i know that the celo wont make it red it will make it novel pink, which is okay because the other CC isnt a serious or deep blue, they will work out perfectly :)

Click to view full size!

even more wires to deal with :(

Click to view full size!

check out with wiring: thats without any disks or motherboard XD

Click to view full size!

Cold Cathode test - powered by a 12V Gel Cell battery:

Click to view full size!

so now i took it into the house and decided to operate : put the computery stuffs inside

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  8. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

So i decided to use the guts from a file server-

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

so i decided to plug her in and...!!!!

-nothing happens..........................worst feeling ever

Click to view full size!

so, 40 mins later i had made a barebone system on the table, replacing the 8800GTS with a 3870HD. later discovered the ANTEC PSU wasnt working at all.... so i used a thermaltake 550W trupower

Click to view full size!

the serious issue with the thermaltake 550 was that it was a modular power supply, and i could only find 1 12V rail and 1 PCIE power rail. so i spent 2 hours cutting away at the molex of the antec PSU to immitate the modular plug of the EPS connection. absolute fluke i found a right combination and jammed it into the TT power supply, this rail was for the two jet fans only. (18A rails)

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

WALAH!!!!! working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!11!11one11!1

final product:

[​IMG]

TO:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an image to show how the engines affect the computer, using a direct heat exchange system:
    [​IMG]

Here is a graph to represent the motor acceleration, as the two fans accelerate at different rates, you will also hear it in the video.

[​IMG]

for those who want to know how loud the engines are - here's one small vid of me testing ENGINE 2 with LEDs and PWM controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qY4aGHtiU

And remember...ITS GOT 2 OF THEM! - a friend said it sounded like the F18's engines

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  9. mojododo

mojododo Member

oooh very nice mate! i love what your doing to get the turbines looking realistic :thumbup:

is skippy's tail missing a bit of its original length/height?

10. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

ahh, looks alright ey :lol:

With that bracket holding the fans from top and bottom, is it strong enough to hold the fans rigid? Looks like it would flex fairly easy ey.

11. timsarg

timsarg Member

that second last pic is actually more like what the front of a jet engine looks like . Is the objective of this mod to turn a computer case into an airbus ?

12. Sir Hermit

Sir Hermit Member

oooh very interesting :)

Keep going dont lag :p

13. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

yep, the airbus A330 - the engines on the 330 take similar shape to the ones im making, vs engines on the 747, 737 100 to 800 are all smoother in shape. + after my trip to thailand on the Airbus A330, it was amazing! acceleration was mad! and landing was even madder! the deacceleration almost made me feel sick!

14. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

This mod is awesome the jet engines look realistic and really cool.:cool:

15. Smashedcrab

Smashedcrab Member

Looking good can't wait to see more.:thumbup:

16. LowProfile

LowProfile Member

Nice so far :thumbup:

17. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

grats on originality.. hard to find nower days. Keep up the good work, and log !

18. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

I wish to correct you on this. You are incorrect.
    Solid state drive electronics, bar badly designed inductors, create ZERO noise.

The whine IS the motors. The are really badly designed speakers, that happen to rotate.

The drive to them is chopped DC, being pulse width modulated, or variable frequency 3 phase AC drive. Either way, the noise comes from the motors.

Other then that, awesome fan mod. Ducted fans look great.

19. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

i used to have one of those cases, with a old p3 in it. ah the memories, hehe.

looking good so far, keep it up :)

20. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

So are you going for some stupidly high overclocks with sub-par reliability and infrequent crashes?