First time at street/portrait photography

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Zzapped, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Hi All.

Im mostly used to landscape shooter and a very amateur one at that, Ive just returned from another trip to Cambodia and ive done the temples to death so i tried stepping our of my comfort zone and had a go at some street/portrait type stuff in a couple of the outer small villages. Can I get some honest constructive feedback from you guys, these are mostly unedited except for a crop here and there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm not a photographer, just an observer*, so I can't tell you anything about the photographic aspects. I like them, the subjects have interesting faces. I would consider how you frame the shots. How much background compared to person, where the person is and how much of them is in it, that type of thing. For example, my feeling is with the girl that I'd have less of the shelf above her head and more of the counter in it, and with the young kids the platform to the right of them distracts attention from them, when they should be the "stars" of the piece.

(*I draw pictures, not take photographs)

I've gone back and looked at them again (and again), you've captured the subjects so that they look interesting and you want to look at them.

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

certainly no expert in street photography but my thoughts

I like #1, 2 and 4 the best.
    They have context in the background and are showing some character (I like the lighting too).
    I imagine it hard to get anything other than a boring expression or fake smile

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice Zapped, lovely set of photos, well done.

5. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Expressions are all good, should try for some eye contact if you can (I know not always possible). For this type of work I would normally shoot a little wider. Show a little more of the surroundings so the viewer has more a sense of time and place. Think to yourself: 'What is the story of my subject? What is the story I am trying to tell? How best do I tell it?' If this sounds like you might need to engage more with your subject, well you would be correct!

None of the photos you posted are bad, in fact they are all pretty good, but then there is always that next level to strive for. Of the ones you posted the second one is the best.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I also am just a weak amateur, but I do like to do portraits. I'm not personally a fan of sticking the subject directly in the middle of the photo, even for portraits.

I don't know why, but for me it works better if the subject is off centre on the photo. I usually take a wider shot, and experiment with crops until I get the subject somewhere I'd like them to be.

The second shot is great, I love the perfect depth with both foreground and background out of focus. Just to the left of her head on one of the shelves is a box that, out of focus, could even be imagined as having a photo of her on it..

She kinda has that Mona Lisa enigmatic smile thing happening too. Great shot in particular but all nice shots.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

No.5 is my pick :thumbup:

Agree with the comments about the subjects being off centre and the shot a little wider. I think it gives you more room to show the person in a place, rather than just the person themselves, you know, let the photo take the viewer to Cambodia with you so to speak.

Also not sure what's happening in the last one, but seems something has gone wrong with the skin tones, he has a green tinge in the centre of his face and a not so nice transition from highlights to shadow around that.

8. MichaelRitter

MichaelRitter Member

Number 5 is also my pick and I find a lot of shadowing on the faces.

9. OP
    OP
    Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Thanks for all the feedback.........very helpful. Im not sure what went on with the last one, It looks a lot different on my work screen to my home screen, may need to readdress that one. again, thanks for the tips and feedback

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Having another look at the last one myself now on my work 4K screen, at full res the colours and shadowing look fine. I'm thinking it's just a combination of lousy compression from flickr when it presents the image at smaller sizes and my monitor at home not being up to scratch.

Thinking about it I've noticed similar effects on my own images, eg this one where I've had terrible blocky effects around the moon, but it looks fine here.

11. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I think they're all really great portraits but they don't feel like street photography to me.

Maybe it's just me but what I enjoy about street photography is interpreting a story from the scene. I like to be able to look at a shot and think, I wonder how that scenario came about to end up captured in that photograph.

#2 and #5 just left me wanting to know more about their surroundings.