First time cable sleeving... How?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by birdie, Sep 9, 2018.

1. birdie

birdie Member

I’ve ordered a modular psu for my “new” pc i’m building (along with my first custom loop (hard tube)).

I want to sleeve the cables, what’s the best way to do this? Do you sleeve the cables that come with the PSU or is it better to start from scratch and make brand new cables?

What is required? Sleeving obviously, and in a few different sizes i assume, what else? Any tools required?

Also where is some good places to buy the bits and pieces? A work colleague mentioned Singularity Computers.

2. fanpeople

fanpeople Member

G'day

I made cables from scratch for my last PC mainly to custom fit them so that there would be no excess hanging around. I got a connector kit from ModDIY mainly because they had all the required connectors for my Seasonic PSU (this was for the connectors at the PSU end).

Maybe check out ModDIY if you go the custom route www.moddiy.com/categories/Connectors

3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

All you really need is 2 staples, bend 1 leg straight and flatten it out a bit with some pliers/hammer. Jam them into the connectors to push the metal flaps down and pull the cable. That will get off pretty much any connector that's not soldered/glued on. Then just slide the sleeve on + heat shrink and you are good to go.

Not the easiest way but its cheap and it works.

Otherwise , get some wire+connectors and DIY it. I made my own SATA connectors which look sweet and cut down on clutter no end.

4. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

If you have a PSU shroud, just grab some cablemod extensions and shove the excess into the "basement" and behind the mobo plate

Defyant likes this.
  5. Defyant

Defyant Member

They prolly mentioned Singularity Computers cause he has a few really good how to cable guides. on his YT channel

birdie likes this.
  6. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Singularity have a good website with all the parts you need.

My experience is that it was better to just go all out and grab an excess of everything:
    - You need a pin remover
    - A crimper (I prefer Engineer PA-21)
    - Spare molex connectors
    - ATX pins to suit

It's easiest to use the set you currently have. Just do a single wire at a time so you don't mess up the pinout.
    Print out a copy of the pinout just in case BEFORE you start however.

This is a pinout for the Corsair SF600 for example:
    upload_2018-10-22_14-6-54.png

And this is how you read it:
    upload_2018-10-22_14-5-20.png

Just match the colours up and you're good.

As for why:
    - Pin remover tool: You need this to remove easy wire form the connector. You'll definately be glad to have one over a DIY solution.
    - Crimper: To attach the new ATX pin to the cable. You can't do it without this.
    - Spare connectors: I guarantee you that a few cable you crimp will be imperfect and most likely pull out. You'll then need to remove just the pin without the cable from the connector. Much sweating will ensue.. Sometimes it's quicker to just use a new connector.
    - ATX pins: For each stock wire, you cut the old pin off, shorten to length and sleeve before crimping on a new pin.

Attached Files:

7. CMH

CMH Member

I'm going to be trying to make my own cables soon and stumbled on this.

Does Jaycar or other electronics store around sell crimpers for this?