1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

First time giving product photography a try

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by mute, Apr 13, 2020.

1. mute

mute Member

So my wife is working for a local business and they needed someone to take photos of their new products.

This is my first time doing product photography and I've already got one of those cheap eBay studio kits for doing portraits. I was going to go down the lightbox route but thought I'd give this a try.

Setup is 2 x softboxes, left at full power, right at 50% power. A blank A0 80gsm piece of paper from Officeworks is the background. Taken on a 5D MkIII with a 135/2 at f8, ISO200, 1/40sec.

Any tips or tricks with this kinda stuff? I think they turned out alright with some minor tweaks in Lightroom (white balance, levels).

More: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S_-E4uxNQv8OoD7VCT_VbNxAn2GL7-ZV

0R5A4631.jpg 0R5A4641.jpg

2. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Lighting looks fine and quite appropriate for what look to be sort of 'natural' type products.

My only criticisms would be around staging - the crooked-but-not-so-much-that-it-looks-intentional arrangement of the bottles in the first one. And the placement of the spray nozzles within the caps - my taste would be for them to be aligned (or all facing backwards, so invisible). Kinda bugs me that you can see the text wrapping around the label on the single one but that's just the reality of the label I suppose.

My only other tip would be to focus on getting the colours consistent for all the shots, particularly for the background. Nothing takes the shine off product photos like small differences in that sort of stuff when clicking between images IMO.

mute likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mute

mute Member

Thanks - I agree and yeah I only realized once we got them in Lightroom. I'll pass that onto the "creative director" (wife) :lol:

4. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

I used to do product photography a lot and one of the things that was always requested along side the more "artsy" shots was well lit cutout shots of individual products for use in catalogues and online shops. I used to shoot all of the products on a seamless blown out white background and send them all off to India for paths to be done, used to work out less than 5c a product and some were quite complex paths.

Also take out any small imperfections in the product out in post, I can see a couple of tiny imperfections on the the bottles (maybe bubbles?) and the cap on the middle bottle looks like it has liquid or condensation in it. I would have shot it without the cap altogether.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  5. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

Im No expert, so I would clip all the white background, so the 'product' can go on white background websites. if it is clipping in white it will match seamlessly.
    I use a big monolight (SK400II) to blast the background (sheet) and a small speedlight (TT350) for the product. All godox cheapies (below $300 total w/X-1T trigger).
    in the meantime you could play with the curves in Lr to make these shots whiter (and clone out any problematic areas)

otherwise, this tutorial guy is good, and does some honest product shoots too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  6. havabeer

havabeer Member

any chance of getting a photo of the setup its self?

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I’d just want less defined shadows if it were me, that’s achievable with larger light source (moving them closer works for that too)

Pbx_Jnr likes this.