Fish Paprikash, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Carp

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Bastard Child, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

If you're a pussy squeamish, look away now...

After catching your fish, stun it with a decent knock on the head with something like a hammer.

You can now scale it - use plenty of water to keep the slime at bay.
    [​IMG]

Bleed the fish by making a 'slicing cut' between the front fins. This will let you insert the point of a sharp knife so you can continue the cut down to the anus. Be careful not to cut into the gut and release digestive enzymes.

Carefully scoop the guts out and leave the fish out of water while you drink a beer (5 - 10 mins) so it can bleed.
    [​IMG]

Give it a good wash
    [​IMG]

You can now pack it on ice for the trip home. These little bastidges were caught near Kerang, Victoria
    [​IMG]

Remove the swim bladder and the gills (the red thing in pic 1 is the bottom set of teeth. I shit you not)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set aside any eggs
    [​IMG]

Chop the head and rinse well. You can cut into haves to stop the old people from fighting over the brains and stuff
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the top set of teeth on the roof of its mouth
    [​IMG]

The head, eggs and first third of the body (from neck to the top fin) are good for soup, the rest is for shallow fry. By scoring the tail you can eat the bones without choking (pic later)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Done
    [​IMG]

Part 2 coming...

2. OP
    OP
    Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

If you're not up to the task, go to the fish market and have them do it for you. And you'll probably not want the head...

For the soup:

Pot of water
    Fish bits
    2x packets of fish paprikash spice (or one packet + heaped spoon of Hoyts sweet paprika)
    Large onion
    Large potato
    4-5 Chillies in vinegar (you might want to try 6-7)
    Spoonful tomato paste (or three)
    Salt
    Pasta

Cooking time 1.5 hrs

These are the two brands of spice packet found in my area - they taste pretty much the same. Mix them with a bit of cold water and set aside for later
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Start by killing a large onion, and large peeled potato, thusly
    [​IMG]

Put the onion/potato pulp (and juice) into a pot of cold water and set to a gentle simmer
    [​IMG]

Squeeze the guts of 4-5 chillies in at this point. The skin + vinegar don't digest well and can fuck you up if you have a girl's stomach (go to a wog delicatessen. My coles/wollies has this)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 hour mark - add the spice mix and stir in
    [​IMG]

1h 10m - add the fish pieces and eggs for the final 20 minutes

1h 25min - stir in tomato paste, and salt to taste

After an hour and a half, serve with large flat (egg?) spaghetti. Again, a delicatessen will have this (maybe even coles/wollies' wog section)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH CARP BONES. YOU'RE POTENTIALLY LOOKING AT A TRIP TO EMERGENCY

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  3. OP
    OP
    Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Fried fish: - this is eaten at the same meal, but after the soup

Fish pieces
    Salt
    Flour
    Shallow pan with oil

Start by rubbing a generous portion of salt into the fish - the fresher the fish, the more salt you need.

How does this work? Who knows, but you don't really notice the salt when you eat it.

This defrosted tail piece, the size of your hand, was caught a week ago and got 1.5tsp PER SIDE!
    [​IMG]

Set them aside for the length of a beer, then roll around a freezer bag of plain flour to coat

Shallow fry until done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, watch for bones. Most noobs eat this by mulching up the flesh between their their fingers to remove all bones.

You know how some people can eat pumpkin seeds and automatically spit out the husk? What you want to do is park yourself within peripheral sight of an old wog and watch them eat like a machine... spitting out bones as they go :Paranoid:

FIN.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. pugsley

pugsley Member

Thats the main thing that turned me off carp. Was just the sheer amount of bones in the fish. The one i tried was not nearly as muddy tasting as everyone makes them out to be. It was quite nice tbh.

Whats Carp roe like?

5. OP
    OP
    Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

It's not really a distinct flavour, it's as inoffensive as the noodles there

6. Kindros

Kindros Member

Hahaha Loving the colourful descriptions for the method. I have always wanted to eat carp, and this doesn't look like a bad start.

7. GozzaK

GozzaK Member

As a kid, I ate Fish Paprikash regularly. We had a few family friends who regularly made it. It's one of the BEST foods you will ever eat.

Ater reading this recipe I found the courage to make it this weekend, and it turned out fantastic!! The moment I tasted it, I had a mental flash back to 30 years ago when the old wogs would make it.

One question - in one of the pictures you had egg shells (chicken eggs) with the left over fefferoni and onions ? Did you add egg into the soup ? I never remember egg being added ?

What a weekend, I made Fish Paprikash, and I just bough the new Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard with USB3 and SATA3 to make my new beast!

Does it get any better !

8. OP
    OP
    Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

9. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

carp in asia is pretty good.

they're bottom feeders, and in australia most of the waters are muddy

10. GozzaK

GozzaK Member

The old wogs used to keep the carp alive (which is really easy, just throw it in an esky with a bit of water - they are very hardy). Then put them in the bath tub for 2 or 3 days. Change the water once a day, feed them a bit of corn or bread. Over 2 or 3 days they pass all the mud, and they taste excellent.

The Paprikas I made over the weekend was from Carp from the Murray (Echuca), we didnt keep it alive - just bled it straight away. Bleeding it is the most important step of all. Tasted fantastic. Finnished the left overs tonight.

PS Bastard Child - I love Chevaps - we usually buy them, but I`ll try your recipe. Also, I make KILLER Sarma. I took ages to learn coz it`s the most complex of all our foods. Mum gets really upset when I make it coz everyone says my Sarma is way better than hers. I'll post recipe and pics the next time I make it....

11. zfind

zfind Member

Is Paprikash specifically for old wogs?

12. OP
    OP
    Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

The older generation grew up with it back in the old country.

Dad says they used to export carps from Yugoslavia to places like Austria and Germany because they over fished their own rivers.