Fisher Price || My First Watercooler

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by petfoodonly, Oct 11, 2004.

1. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Well i finally went watercooled, and i would love to hear what you guys think!

For more pics you can head to my PCDB entry:
    http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?name=petfoodONLY&page=pics

But i'll include one incase you are lazy :p

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

This is my very first attempt at doing anything with my computer. I've never used anything but stock cooling before. I thought i would jump right in the deep end and go for a dual block water cooled computer with a pelt for added difficulty.

I've been reading you guys for a while and posting here a little, so i did have a small idea what i was doing. All parts are seccond hand off these forums (thanks guys). Tubing is bunnings cr*p, my budget ran out, bunnings hose clamps as well. Nulon ultra cool. Since these photos where taken i filled up the rest of the T line with more Nulon and a little bit of metho.

Things i have learnt so far:

T lines are good and easy. But getting that T line plug out is near impossible. Solution: Pour boiling water over it, then go nuts with a pair of pliars.

250watt yumcha PSUs really are not up to task. It ran the system for 3 days and even got me to SGL and back, but when i tried for 2volts on the cpu it was all over.

Leak testing is for panzies. I built it stright into the system and leak tested by lobbing it in my mates ute and drving to sydney and back (from canberra).

120mm sunnon fans are LOUD.

speedfan is a great app.

Looks are not important.

It you have a kink putting on cabel ties to make the tube round again is a great idea.

Please ask questions or point out problems.

2. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

nice for 1st time :) but dam boy clean that case up! :D hahaha but yeah its nice :) howd u find filling the t line?

3. Etacovda

Etacovda Member

lol, replace those books with cinderblocks and you'll have the ultimate ghetto - oh, and make a turbo scoop for the rad out of cardboard :p

4. OP
    OP
    petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

T line was filling was okay. I kind of cheated beacause i was building stright into the case.

My method was to pull the tube off the top barb of my BA rad, hold it up as high as i could, put my thumb over the T line and pour in water. let is settle. Pour again, let it settle, pour again.

Once mose of the computer was full that way i flicked on and off my pump. This sucked air bubbles all over the place and forced a lot of water into the rad. I filled again. flicked again. Filled again. By this time 90% of the system was water.

I connected the rad back up. Filled the T line to the top and turned the pump on. Once water was flowing around the loop the T line worked a treat. I had top top it up a fair bit. Beacause i had to leave for SGL in a couple of hours and i needed to sleep, i got small air bubbles out my sucking hard on the T line. When you suck a bunch of water rushed up into the T line, and drags lots of bubbles with it, wait for them to float to the top. Release suction. Wait a momment, and suck again. That got bubbles out pretty quick. But my brother still thinks i'm a fag...

Maybe 3 tap IS easier to fill with. But T line is easier to make, and filling was not really that hard. (Took less then half an hour)

Then i added my coolant to the

5. OP
    OP
    petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

hahaha, embrace the ghetto :D

The ghettoness of the RAD kinda just happened. I meant to have it mounted like that, but with the tubes facing in. However the tubes just could not bend the radius. So i had to flip the rad around in the shroud. I knew it was a didgy solution but time was running out and i didn't want to go back to stock air for the lan after i had come so far. Unfortunatly i had broken all my drill bits drilling through the side of the case to mount the rad on in the first place. So i had to re-drill the fan shroud with broken drill bits. It was a classy momment. [Note to bravo: Include holes in your shrouds that match up so you can have the fans on either side of the rad!!!]

6. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

god damn thats messy :p
    lol @ ur filling technique, but whatever is effective i guess :p
    what are the temps compared to ur old cooling?

7. OP
    OP
    petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

i'm actaully quite unhappy with temps.

I can't measure GPU temp under the pelt beacuse my 9800pro is 350core. So i dont know. But my CPU is still quite hot.

Under stock cooling i was running it at about .1v above stock voltage and my temps where getting up to 57-58 under load. Now with water my load temp has crept up towards 49degrees, on about 1.95v. iirc when i first installed at ran at that voltage tempts where more like 46.

Maybe ambient as increased a lot over the last couple of weeks. which is possible. Maybe my block is corroding and is now full of crap. It is probably noteworthy that my case temp is up 4 degrees from when i was using stock air.

Mr rad setup uses air at room temp and stops the cpu and gpu heat entering the case.

I think my new Antec PSU shifts a lot less air out of the system then my old yum cha 250watt did.

8. Etacovda

Etacovda Member

Looks like an NF7-S there, eh?

Remember these read the temps from a thermistor, not the cpu diode- removing the fan stops the air from moving away from the socket, resulting in higher temps.

Id suggest mounting an 80mm fan above your mosfet section, which will cool your mosfets and remove the hot air from around the socket. Sure, the temps wont be technically any different, but its nice to be able to see that load temp of 35-40, eh?

9. OP
    OP
    petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Modding an old CPU heat sink onto my MOSFET do dats is on my to-do list. But i'm not installing another fan in my case just so my temps read lower :D

noise = bad.

dual 120mm sunons outside the case is loud enough allready!!

anyone else go any suggestions for me?

My plan for upgrading this system is:

Storm
    mobile XP
    new gfx card

How much better temps wise will a storm be compared to a swiftech5000. Best block v crappy cheap block. Am i looking at ~8 degrees? Or will it be more like ~4?

10. OP
    OP
    petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Ok, i finally got around to remounting my block, and now that things have settled a little i'm getting temps that are a lot better then before. I still have some more testing to do (and i'm in exams at the momment :tongue: ). Idle temp looks to have dropped about 5 degrees (it's hard to tell with ambient being to random in this room).

I still havent got around to fixing up some mosfet heatsinks or case fans yet.

My pressing problem is still water temps. My water is just so fricking warm at the momment. I'm trying to get my hands on a seccond BA and some real fans at the momment.

Also my xp-m is on the way which may put out a little less heat.