Fixed my 8800gts in my oven

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Moarkill, Oct 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Hey guys , just wanted to say that tonight i fixed my 8800gts by baking it in my oven on 200c for 12 minutes. The card failed today, displaying blue lined up and down the screen and only booting into safe mode...I stripped it down as much as i could, and stood it up on a tray using coins in my oven. I cant believe this actually worked for me. I wonder how many cards have been tossed in the past without anyone trying this.....(note, i only tried this as it was an old card with no warranty, obviously this wont fix every card, and if you still have warranty this will void it as you need to remove stickers etc from the pcb)

2. rickoles

rickoles Member

This is a well known fix. Worked on mine.

3. phonik

phonik Member

lol thank you I had totally forgotten about reading about baking cards, 8800gts in the kids PC started displaying lines across the display, guess I'm going to cook it tomorrow, see if it fixes it :)

Though my new build marches forward regardless lol

4. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Been meaning to try this with an old 8800GTS G80 card, had 2 in SLI and one died about 18 months ago... I ended up building a new machine instead! :lol:

5. Little Man

Little Man Member

What setting did you use on the oven? And what rack/position in the oven?

I tried fan forced and it didnt work, now fan forced is broken :(

6. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

I put it in a old oven so no fan, preheated it to 200c and put it in the middle rack for about 12 mins. Keep in mind tho, this will only fix a card that has failed due to micro-fissures in the solder, so maybe yours has failed due to other reasons.worth a try tho, i wouldnt go for more than 10 mins in a fan forced oven. My card was displaying blue linesover the screen and only booting in safe mode. Remember to strip the card down to the pcp as much as you can and remove stickers

7. lamcdonald

lamcdonald Member

Nice work! :thumbup:

I'm planning to try this with my 8800GT; the case panel fell off while I was carrying the case and the CPU fan duct hit the card and broke it. It still works if I put a weight on the corner of the card, otherwise it freezes up with green artifacting. I bought a $25 toaster oven especially for fixing damaged PCBs etc, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet... Hopefully soon! :D

8. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Let us know how long it holds...

I have heard of many card that got revived, just to fail again after a few weeks.

9. whowalks

whowalks Member

what spices did you use, is it a rosmary and garlic solution.:)

10. phonik

phonik Member

garlic and thyme here, worked a treat and my son is happy :)

I used same settings as moarkill and 10mins. Masterchef lol

11. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

I tried baking a dead mobo, forgot to take out the battery and it 'sploded. Didn't fix the board either.

12. lamcdonald

lamcdonald Member

My MX440 just came out of the oven :D Got to let it cool for a few mins, then put the HS back on. I'll be surprised if it has made any difference though...

edit: :( The artifacting was slightly reduced, but it's still totally unusable. I've put it in again at a slightly higher temp...

edit2: Oooopsss... I overheated it a bit and one of the RAM chips fell off :lol: :o Oh well, it was dead anyway :upset:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  13. auApex

auApex Member

^
    and an MX440.

14. lamcdonald

lamcdonald Member

True. But it was a dual-head MX440 :( As you can probably guess, it's totally dead now :upset: Won't even POST. But the re-attached RAM chip has a lot of pins that aren't connected properly, so maybe if I solder them individually... Don't have time to do that tonight, but I'll try it another day.

15. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

hahahahahahaha... made my night little man

16. Hive

Hive Member

Doesn't your oven have "Artifacting Videocard" setting?

Anyway how does this fix the cards?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i always thought you should use someone elses oven? because baking releases all sorts of hazerdous gases which linger just waiting for your next bit of food to go in :)

18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

So tempted to roast my artifacting geforce 8800 gts! It's been boxed ever since it spat the dummy a few months ago.

19. Little Man

Little Man Member

Yeah it does, doesn't work though.

It can fix them sometimes if the artifact is caused by micro-fissures in the solder (cracking, parting, separating etc) which just fucks everything up as it would with any electronic. The melting point of solder is about 200C give or take, so putting it in the oven face down does sometimes reflow the solder back to its original state. Sounds great, but its never a permanent fix as the solder just cracks/parts again.

Sometimes you can get a few months out them, sometimes a few days, some just keep working forever but most don't.

20. Little Man

Little Man Member

Now everything we cook has to be 'turbo grilled' which doesnt always work :(
    I dont know if the fan forced dying is directly related to me baking cards as the bakefail to fanforcefail was a month apart at least :/

I wonder if using a heatgun would be better, i picked up a cheap ozito one from bunnings for like $30 but the only thing is theres no temp reading so would need a temp probe too.