Fixed Thunderbird "Not Responding" hanging issue

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Agg, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

For months my Thunderbird install on two PCs has been an absolute dog, with it constantly freezing and the titlebar becoming (Not Responding) whenever I do anything. I mean anything, from simply clicking an email window, to selecting an email and it trying to load the preview pane. Selecting 10 emails and hitting delete would provoke a delay of about 20 seconds. Moving an email from one folder to another was pretty much impossible. Very disruptive and frustrating given how much time I spend in email every day.

Anyway, as I said, months have gone by. There's a big FAQ on Mozilla's site with various things to try, which I worked through. Many other people have this issue in Google but nothing seemed to work. Also, it's happening on two PCs, one Windows 10, one Windows 7 Pro, so I figured it must be something to do with gmail's innards or something off-PC. So I just kinda dealt with it, given I have zillions of emails going back decades, shit's gonna be slow.

Today I found yet another thing, but this actually worked: adding the Thunderbird profile directory to the excluded list in Windows Security Essentials. I'm back to snappy now, on the Windows 7 Pro PC anyway. I haven't made the change on the Windows 10 PC yet. But on this PC everything is instant again, as soon as I made that config change. Didn't even restart Thunderbird. Select 10 emails, delete, instant. Move 3 emails to another folder, instant. Click away and back to Tbird, responsive. Fookin' yay.

Anyway, hopefully this is of use, just had to get it off my chest and share my joy. :)

ThE_BiG_O, callan and sammy_b0i like this.
  2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Interesting, my Thunderbird hasnt had the issue, but good to know i can do this tweak to the av if it ever does.

3. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Made the same change on my Win10 PC and wifey's W10 laptop. It's like night and day. Coupled with the upload speed improvements from moving to the NBN, IMAP in Thunderbird feels buttery smooth now.

4. callan

callan Member

I'll file that one away. I've had another couple of programs where MSE has caused sluggish and unstable behaviour: the excellent music media player XMplay for one. Good to know the profile directory exclude trick, though, as although I don't use MSE much now (NOD32 all the way) some of our machines still have it. It's worth noting that on WIN10 MSE still runs when using third party antivirus unless you manually disable it.
    A monoculture of antivirus solutions is not good.

Callan

5. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

My dad was complaining about his computer being "slow and freezing momentarily" for the last few weeks. I had a look at his computer and it was fine, everything was running smoothly and loading fast. Upon asking what was slow and freezing he said Thunderbird and it made me recall this thread. Sure enough, adding an exclusion in Windows Defender to the Thunderbird profile folder appears to have fixed it.

My only concern is that adding the exclusion will compromise the security of that computer. He's been using Thunderbird for years and it has been fine, it's only been in the last month or so that this issue has arisen. Makes me think it's possibly a recent Windows or Thunderbird update that's caused it.