1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fizzy milk maker takes on Coca-Cola"

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 14, 2010.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This is interesting.....doesn't sound like something I'd like, but who knows....

"Fizzy milk maker takes on Coca-Cola"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/13/2925765.htm

2. miicah

miicah Member

Gross, what does it taste like?

3. TheChemist

TheChemist R.I.P

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/07/19/cola-cola-launches-fizzy-milk-115875-21530840/

19/07/2009 -- Coke was planning on releasing a fizzy milk drink on the European market, and they had the patents etc before then.

Dude is just pissy because he came up with an idea that someone had already come up with and patented first.

EDIT: It appears their grounds for banning it aren't even the patents.. it's that Coca-Cola have the rights to provide drinks for the event... Coke spend tens of millions of dollars a year buying rights for events like this, so whywouldn't they stand up for themselves?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

wouldn't you?

monopoly over ideas is only great where you are the monopoly, every one suffers because of monopoly's.

5. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

if you shake it up and leave it in the back of a hot car for a few days you get canned cheese :)

6. TheChemist

TheChemist R.I.P

Disagree. If you take away patents, then people will stop doing R&D. Why would a company spend $1bn on R&D for <product/drug/whatever> if some company can then come in and make the same product using stolen intellectual property?

7. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

But he didn't steal it? :confused:
    At worst he heard of the idea and decide to try and do it.
    At best it was parelle invention.

A company would spend $1billion on R&D if it can get it's product to market first and grab and hold market share. If you can't hold market share with your product you should have invented a better one.

8. Reaper

Reaper Member

Other side:

These companies get all these patents then don't do anything with them and don't announce anything.

Someone comes along with the idea unaware of the patent, they then get sued for it. Monopolies hurt.

They've sure got their fingers in everything. Goulburn valley was their foray into the milk drink field.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I'm guessing it would simply be like fizzy milk, although that sounds kinda silly. But if you change it by adding some other flavour then it becomes just another flavoured drink I would think.

Meh, who knows.

10. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

You can get fizzy milk drinks in Japanese & Korean take aways & grocery stores

I love the taste of them. Can't remember all the brand names, but one is 'Milkis'

There's a plain flavour, and a strawberry which i like. Can't remember what else. Fizzy, sweet, and a little creamy.

I think they're generally fruity flavours, I'm not sure what a chocolate or a cola would be like.

I think they're fermented milk drinks, so they have a bit of a sour taste to them as well.

11. Delator

Delator Member

Will they now. Because everyone doing a PHD at the moment is doing it for the big bucks arent they?

I think passion and working for the greater good trumps financial gain for a lot of people. And money corrupts and restrict information. One basic example is freeware software..

here is some bed time reading too:
    http://www.piratpartiet.se/an_alternative_to_pharmaceutical_patents

basically there are most possibilities than the ones you are only aware of.

12. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

if you are spending 1$billion on a product, more then likely it is something that is not "easy" to copy with in a good period of time, you will still have a monopoly, and time to improve on your invention to keep ahead of your competition this is good for all, without setting up monopolys

99% of the "drug" company's costs in R&D are regulation costs, which can be eliminated by removing prohibition on what a person can put into there body.

13. Orphan

Orphan Member

Like space frog said there are already fizzy milk drinks available - while quite different I find a number of them quite nice. I don't know what all the fuss is about, the farmer can still launch his own drink it just can't use coke's trademarts/copyrights/patents. There are any number of cola brands out today, he is just getting shitty because his launch idea didn't work out how he wanted because someone already had the rights to drink supply. It is not even a new idea, he gets to play by the same rules as everyone else, he just has less money and you can be damn sure if he was as big as coke he would monopolise as much of the soft drinks market as he could as well.

You guys have to remember that a patent is on the excecution of an idea not on an idea itself. You may have come up with an idea but you can't own the idea itself, only how you carry that idea out.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  14. miicah

miicah Member

If he thought of it by himself then I don't see why he doesn't deserve to make it, unless coke already had the patent.

15. ndt

ndt Member

I remember seeing the spiders in a can in servos in Broome around 2004. I never drank one but wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing? unless there not fizzy.

Merrick and Rosso put milk in a soda stream maker and it made the milk chunky

16. pugsley

pugsley Member

Coca-cola are not stopping him from producing. They have just barred him from selling at the farm expo, which they have brought beverage rights for. This would be the exact same story if any other beverage company tried to come in. Just like how certain alcohol companies pay millions to have their drinks for sale at sporting events. This is no different.

17. ndt

ndt Member

Coke actually did him a favor, how much advertising is he getting now compared to if he was able to sell his milk at the expo, not only that but hes still being allowed to have a stall and give out free samples, so really he's not gonna loose much.

18. Orphan

Orphan Member

ndt makes a good point, he is getting huge $$$ in free publicity over this which he otherwise wouldn't have been able to not to mention I bet more people are now interested in trying it just to see what it is like.

19. pugsley

pugsley Member

Yeah now they just have to find him in the expo. If i were him i would be at the exit giving freebies away as people leave.

20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

about 20 years ago, i put milk in a soda stream to see what fizzy milk tasted like

once the carbonation was done, i unlocked the bottle to taste the fizzy goodness

fizzy milk sprayed all over my kitchen :thumbdn:

what was left in the soda stream bottle tasted like vomit