1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Flash carts and ODE's, etc.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

added another DC GDemu card as i cant for the frikken life of me get the other one to work. Tried on 3 different DC's.

Also ordered the PCengine flash cart, thats a no brainer.

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

what a pain, dunno if i got lucky but my strategy was to order one that shipped from Australia AND had a seller with a good, established reputation - happy to say it worked from day dot flawlessly.

3. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Another gdemu device ? Or sd card? I have been using my one from the developer in Poland 3 years ago and its still working fine

Vanne likes this.
  4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Another GdEMU.. I recon the one I have is defective. Either way, if it isn't, I'll have another for one of my 3 DC's. :)

5. ohayes

ohayes Member

Any advice on which ODE I should get for a 21 pin Saturn? Satiator looks great but its cost is eye watering.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

if you can hold out supposedly fenrir is coming for 21 pin.

today? MODE or Satiator. I was always gonna buy Satiator even at the eyewatering price.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Worth noting that MiSTer cores are in development for both Saturn and PlayStation 1.

Each to their own of course, but once I calculated the dollar cost of digital video mods and ODEs, I decided to hold out in both. Current CD-R mods can hold me at bay until then.

Dreamcast and N64? Different story, as they're likely a decade or more away from seeing decent FPGA implementations, and their respective hardware solutions are far cheaper.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i'm pretty invested in Saturn now. last thing I need is a Rad2x as i've heard the Saturn will never get a digital mod due to how the Saturn outputs video or something. (read that somewhere no idea how accurate it is).

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The Saturn's video chip is a bit of a whacky old thing, but it's not "impossible". Everything is digital at some point.

But, the flip side is the Saturn spits out exceptionally clean RGB and very good quality S-Video, so Rad2x / RetroTink2x / OSSC / GBS type solutions are all excellent. For the same reasons, people have been putting Saturns in arcade machines for decades because the RGB is so clean and the various arcade ports (not just ST-V games which are identical to Saturn hardware and difficult to emulate, but a host of amazing ports to the platform from other arcade systems that still aren't 100% in MAME) are all brilliant. There's a tonne of Taito arcade games, for example that all had special scaling modes, and their ports to Saturn are great.

It's a cracking console, and when developers used the scaling hardware well it did amazing things (again, even for stuff ported from arcade that had complex scaling chips that the Saturn blitzed).

If you're a massive fan of the thing, already have a compatible console, and can't wait, I don't think ODEs are a waste. There's plenty of reasons to go down that path.

If you're not a Saturn owner, or have one of the less compatible models, then that's a tricky one.

If you've already got a MiSTer, again, perhaps worth waiting. It's very likely that somewhere in the next ~2-3 years you'll wake up to see "Saturn" and "ST-V" appear in the boot menu like magic (and PlayStation and Sony ZN1 in the next 1 year).

My PAL Saturn is in SCART/RGB + Pseudo-Saturn-Kai territory with CD-Rs for now, and will likely get a simple 60Hz mod soon. But that'll do me while I hold out for the MiSTer core.

10. ohayes

ohayes Member

I have a 68cm Trinitron with component, i'm looking to get a HD Retrovision component cable for my Saturn as well. That said the Mister project looks awesome and I would love to get one!

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

I have the hd retrovision cable for Saturn... Its AMAZING!!! just sooo crisp.. (obviosuly i only compared it to the scart cable (which i am sure is just compesite video) that it came with.

12. cevad

cevad Member

I would love to get a JagGD, but looks like everywhere is out of stock and the waiting lists are huge, any suggestions?

Thanks

13. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Keep an eye out on saints twitter and his resellers. I was very lucky 10 became available at like 1am or so when I was bored on my phone and got one. They was sold out in 15minutes

14. bester

bester Member

power likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

16. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

oh fuck, another Saturn mod...</hides>

17. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Yes way too many of them. I still find that the RHEA / Phoebe are the best solutions. Followed by MODE if you wanna use a HDD/ SSD solution and satiator if you really are obbssed with keeping your drive, however I disagree with how he handled the development of his product.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Rhea and Phoebe were almost impossible to buy (like the legit GDEMU) so more options is a winner for me. I was going to buy one but when I heard about satiator I just waited for it. While not obsessed with keeping the OD it's such a nice mod I couldn't help but be interested.

19. Grant

Grant Member

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member