Flash Modifiers (On Camera)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by quwackers, Mar 27, 2018.

1. quwackers

quwackers Member

Hello all! I sometimes work in a nightclub whereby I am performing event/venue photography.

In the regular venue walls/ceilings are matte black, with few exceptions one being giant mirrors.

As such flash bouncing is a poor option, so far I have simply used a dome bounce diffuser directing the flash 70° from subjects.

I want to continue improving my work and the area I wish to focus on is lighting I use. Are there any suggestions?

I am considering purchasing a cheap flash softbox off eBay to test, however wanted to ask our community first for thoughts.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That kind of work you are restricted on space as well. You can get creative with what you use but I would just look at either having fun with the direct flash game (dragging the shutter) or rigging up a sweet bounce card that is easy for you to move around with and provides more fill light without the harshness of direct flash.

The Magmod system was cool as well when I had a play.

3. Michael H

Michael H Member

Off camera flash gets better results, but in your environment that will be hard or impossible. I would look at Magmod (flexible but very expensive) or the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro.

The Demb works with your camera on the flash but gets much better results by moving the light source away from the camera. A more complex and flexible version of the diffusers/deflectors found on many flashes.

There was a product which was a combo of these two, but it never hit targets on Kickstarter (sadly).

The other choice is a small softbox like the Sundisc. Review here, purchase here. It might be small enough to use on a small stand in your environment. A bit big for on camera use. I have 2 and like them.

4. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

I do have a wireless trigger for the flash, so it would be possible to shoot one handed and hold the flash with the other.

My setup will be fairly light as I am switching form 6D w/ 16-35 2.8 to A7III w/ 16-35 F4, does anybody have experience with this setup?

5. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I do event photography in dark dark clubs, where flash would be too distracting / blinding. Currently I shoot with ambient light, a typical setting is something like Sigma 24-35 @ f/2 (or similar with 50mm 1.4), ISO 6400, 1/30 shutter. I'm looking at small LED lights to help (especially with AF), so a hotshoe mounted panel light or ideally a ringlight. I'm hoping a softer continuous light will do the trick instead of strobes.

6. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

I used to do a bit of this with a hot shoe cord back before I could afford any triggers - camera in one hand and holding the flash at arms length with the other. Definitely works/looks better than it being mounted on the camera in some situations and if you then softened the flash with a MagMod or similar it could go close to mimicing a small softbox with a rembrandt-ish look. Problems with this are you kind of have to feel out the flash positioning (don't be surprised if you put some gross shadows on people when you first play with this), you obviously can only really hold the flash in your left hand and you might have space restrictions.

I would combine this with Jack's suggestion of dragging the shutter to introduce some ambient light. This can go either way in a club with mixed lighting though - can look really cool or really weird. Maybe even think of gelling the flash, depending on the lighting where you shoot.

Pretty cool that we're now in the age where small, battery-powered lights are enough to get a decent exposure, especially at web res.

7. dche5390

dche5390 Member

MagMod all the way. The sphere is really good. I don't think I'll ever use the bounce thing.

The advantage of using an on-camera speedlight is the AF-assist and the ability to either cut away the ambient light or introduce lots of it with a very slow shutter speed.

8. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

I am using the Godox flash system so the trigger has an af-assist beam.

I'll be checking out the MagMod for sure, thanks guys!

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

10. Xang

Xang Member

I use Godox v860ii's with the X1N type transmitter. They don't work at very close range so you might have issues if you decide to go off-camera handheld. Don't know if this issue persists with their new XPro triggers. Might be better to go wired even.

11. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

I have the TT685s and XProS, I only just received them so I shall test and report back this evening.