1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Flashs for night time racing.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Tri-death, Feb 17, 2011.

1. csimpson

csimpson Member

Do you think the OP is going to be leaning in the drift car's window while it's out there? He'll be a long distance off.

2. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

I said DIRT road mate... Track stuff you can usually get away with one or two flashes every now and then...

But RALLY, you're dreaming.

And yes I know the OP's post was about drift events, just making the point as no one with a passion ever sticks to one discipline of motorsport.

3. Nafe

Nafe Member

Motorsport IS the passion :D

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Sorry but that's somewhat incorrect.

In rallying you are norrmally only allowed to photo on the inside of a corner.

During nighttime stages it's quite an event actually. Car comes around and it's like flash city. Flashes going off everywhere trying to get that perfect shot.

Most of the big hitters in rallying though, they have a huge "band" on top of windscreen so they don't see as much as a regular car does through the front. The big bonus in that is that being lower than the 'togs, they also don't tend to see as many flashes from photographers.

E.G:
    http://images.motortrend.com/roadte..._solberg_subaru_impreza_rally_car+sliding.jpg

and

http://www.wrcfordlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/78876_alqassimik01sw11_304-lr.jpg

5. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

Normally you're only allowed to photo from the inside of the corner...Ok, go attend more rallies and take note of where the nose of the car is pointed on the majority of the tight corners.

More to the point, we're not talking WRC drivers. They've been exposed to that situation thousands of times. Where as your average Joe Clubman isn't going to cope quite as good. Not to mention that at night in the bush it's not unlikely that a flashes metering will cause it to throw a 1/1 duration hit.

Drivers know where spectator points are and prepare themselves accordingly. But if you're that sure that I'm wrong. Please do stand on the INSIDE of a corner with your strobe, go to the presentation dinner afterwards, announce who you are, where you were and what you were doing... Post results from hospital.

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Inside of corner using flash at spectator points is fine, that's where Flash city occurs.
    Outside of ANY corner using flash you are asking for an arsekicking/getting run over.

My comments are based on Australian Rally Championship and Car Club/Hillclimb Rally events.

Haven't been to a WRC leg yet..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  7. Daveee

Daveee Member

I don't really care about flashes when I am driving at night. Although, unless you are significantly up a bank (even then...) then standing on the outside of any corner is stupid.

It would actually be an OK idea if photographers went back to placing a 'FLASH' board a couple of hundred meters before where they are. This way the drivers are expecting the flash.

FYI - I know one photographer who uses remote flashes on the outside of corners to get some interesting shots.

8. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

I totally agree. Even when NOT using flash.

9. srey

srey Member

Based on my experience you've got bugger all chance of getting anything from any official spectator point, unless you're actually only after photos of the ambos/police/officials/donut sellers that are between you and the cars.

10. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

Volunteer to be an official... you'll get put on a road closure in the middle of no where, but you'll have your own private photo location with unimpeded views :thumbup: (plus you'll be helping out)