Flass - My Google Glass.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Ash_Williams, Feb 25, 2013.

1. schmoove

schmoove Member

This is brilliant!
    Though I'm not sure what it actually does.
    But anything with wires taped together is a winner for me.
    Hare brained schemes ftw!
    Can't wait to hear what happened on the first testing in the wild.
    I <3 Flass

2. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

Still a little too geeky for my tastes for wearing out and about, but can't wait to see what you think of the test drive !

3. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I will say that a fair few people stared and wondered what exactly it was. I think the biggest problem this type of technology faces is that people feel violated because they feel they might be getting recorded. I can agree with that feeling and understand it.

I'll be wearing it to Oz Comic Con in Adelaide on the weekend so it will be interesting to see how people view it in a large crowd.

4. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

I can see how some people might be worried about that, but those people don't realise how often they are recorded in public anyway. Did anyone actually ask you about it ?

5. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I went into my local EB Games, I'm friends with the Manager, and he was definitely curious about it. Nobody asked me about them other than that, didn't get asked to take them off and even went to the local fish and chip place and got some chips haha.

6. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Here's an update with how the project is going!

Gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/0c4M6

I've fixed mounting for now by supergluing velcro to the Flass and then using it to mount onto ANY glasses or eyewear available. Then just adjust the display and done!

I have got the system running off a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 running ICS, I found that the i9000 does video-out via the 3.5mm jack and that suits my needs perfectly!

I'm thinking of going with a new color scheme? White or another color?

7. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

8. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I will post an update on it tomorrow, I have managed to create a more streamlined easy to wear version that ANYONE can put on, it also works with any prescription glasses/sunglasses/safety glasses and is lightweight.

My big step now is working out exactly what system to run it off, at this stage it's likely to be running off a Raspberry Pi running some form of very light OS which I haven't decided on yet, any suggestions would be great.

Hopefully in the coming months the Foundation will release the camera for the Pi and I can mount that to the front of Flass to capture video. In hindsight I would love to simply wait for Glass to come to Australia but I don't see that happening in the near future. I'm becoming an Explorer in my own right with my own design and ideas put in, it will certainly be interesting to see how I am perceived in public once this is completed and fully operational.

Tomorrow I begin working on getting the OS running smoothly and then look at finding a decent Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad setup to operate it. I'll update the thread with photos when I get to work!

9. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Here we are ladies and gentlemen, the final revision of Flass before I look into designing a proper frame much like Glass itself. I'm hoping to find someone who can 3D print me a copy of Glass I can mold and use for the basis of this.

The biggest problem I face is that the optics for it are on a slight lean and I need to find a company that can create an optic that is the same as Glass so that I can mount it straight instead of having to fiddle to get it exactly right every time. Mounting it straight will enable any user to simply adjust a nose bridge (like Glass) and done! People are saying that Glass uses a mini projector to shoot the UI into your eyeball, it's simply not true, it's merely a small display like my own with a specifically created optic that will reflect the image infront of you.

(I'll add some photos of what I see once I have the battery pack for it charged)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. damn duck

damn duck Member

If you ever wanted to make a custom interface for this, shoot me a PM. I design graphics and GUI's for little developers, and I'll help you out with this for free because it's so damn awesome.

Keep us posted with photos and videos.

11. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I'm no good with coding so a custom UI is likely to never happen. I was tempted to find a really good XBMC skin and run with that instead of a normal desktop situation.

12. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

[​IMG]

So I've put together the above logo to show off my branding for Flass as a Google Glass 'Clone'.

I have ordered a SECOND Myvu Crystal 701 off eBay to create a second pair, this will be a much simpler design from the beginning as my current version has been through so many revisions! It's designed from the ground up to be worn by someone without glasses. I'll likely sell this one to someone who wants to try something different and be a bit of a pioneer like myself.

I've also switched back to using the Galaxy S as the Raspberry Pi was difficult to properly setup for usage. I couldn't find an OS that suited my needs for a very simple touch-like UI and decided that Android will probably better suit my needs. I'll post some photos of the UI setup I have later.

I have also updated the OP to show my complete worklog!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  13. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Meet [​IMG] 4.0

Flass 4.0 is my final 'concept' of the product, from here it is merely refining a proper universal mount. This version is designed for my personal usage, whereas my second Flass is designed for anyone to be able to put on a wear. I have switched to a Nokia N9 for the phone to run off purely on the UI being far better for a small display, until someone tries to reverse engineer Glass for the purpose.

I also have a 3D printed Google Glass on the way to use for reference to build my everyday version. I expect this to turn up in May when I do my next revision. If you are interested in finding out more about how this works please feel free to contact me, if you are interested in building one also let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Demonstrating Flass.

15. cal0006

cal0006 Member

Brilliant. Skipped the thread, only read the OP and looked at pictures, so excuse me if this has been suggested. Have you considered projecting the display onto the inside of the glasses somehow? Obviously it might be a fair bit harder to do, but in theory it would move the arm that extends to the front, and relocate it to the side, adding thickness.

*Yes, I'm aware that the Google Glass device does this in a similar way, blah*

I remember we had a lazer tag kit or something similar back in the day, and from memory I think it had a little HUD (well, was really just 3 little icons that lit up if you were targeted, hit etc. Or something similar).

Obviously this will also get a fair bit more expensive and harder due to glare etc, but I can see the whole concept of a display being incorporated into glasses catching on as more and more people rely on mobile phones in a day-to-day environment.

Hell, I would kill for a even just a watch with a couple of icons in the backing of it (behind the hands) that are incorporated with my phone. Just 3 icons, a phone icon to signify a missed call, or incoming call, a SMS icon that lights up to signify a new SMS, and an envelope to signify a new email.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  16. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I'll be updating next week when I get my 3D printed Glass replica, I will be remaking the frame to mimic Glass as much as possible so stay tuned!

17. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

18. EMupp

EMupp Member

19. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

What is he hacking?

20. EMupp

EMupp Member

The term "hacker" is not confined to nefarious cyber boogeymen trying to steal your passwords, it covers hardware too.