Flass - My Google Glass.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Ash_Williams, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

I realise that. Which is more then I can say for most people. It seems to be a bad sterotype.
    I don't think he has hacked anything. But thats just my opinion.
    From my understand, he has basically bought off the shelf parts and made them all work in the way he wants. Not trying to decredit him either, is a fucking brilliant effort and has obviously taken alot of thought and trial and error.

2. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Google search Flass yesterday, nothing. Google search Flass today, WOW!

Hopefully this week Version 5.0 will start taking form! This version will likely be the last one I make of my personal version before moving to one that anyone can put on their head. So stay tuned for more information here!

3. EMupp

EMupp Member

That's pretty much one of the definitions of the word :)

4. HeXa

HeXa Member

no you don't realise that

one of the original definitions of a hacker uses the example of using a kitchen fork to replace the pin in fridge door so that the otherwise working fridge was still useful

the point of hacking is to take everyday objects and use them outside of their original purpose to solve problems.

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I submitted it to Reddit last night - I notice you've submitted it before but mine seemed to get a bit more attention in the Geek subreddit, which is where CNet and then Tweaktown got it. :) Very cool project, I will mention it again on OCAU's news page soon.

6. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Thanks heaps, it's such an honor to get the attention on such big sites. Maybe next week when I have my next version would be the best time to run it on the news page again if you intend to do so.

7. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

[​IMG]

Just wanted to give everyone an update letting you know that I can pretty much run Android completely through my Blueooth earpiece thanks to the amazing applications utter! and Tasker.

I should be able to completely remove the keyboard from the equation with my next version!

Expect to see some really nice new features pop up this week as I begin running everything hopefully through a Galaxy Nexus which should give me a massive performance increase over my current Galaxy S i9000. Once I have that working effectively I will begin looking into better solutions like the latest version of the Beagleboard which should give me everything I need in terms of hardware.

My biggest problem I have been facing is the camera, in a perfect world I could extend the phone's camera with an extremely long ribbon cable but I don't have the technical knowledge and there isn't a way I've found so far to do it. The best thing about Flass is that it can use any device available to operate.

But why are you not starting on work with the Raspberry Pi? The answer is simple, there is no operating system for the RaspPi that gives me the freedom I currently have with Android. If a stable image becomes available for the Pi then I'm likely to move to that platform. I ultimately require a really slim device but one does not exist yet for what I need.

Stay tuned this week for more updates! My 3D printed Glass should arrive on Monday for me to study and come up with an elegant solution to my currently not very attractive design.

8. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Interested in seeing Flass in action? Come to my G+ Hangout tonight and check it out. I will also be showing off how to disassemble a MyVu Crystal 701 and build your own!

Go to my profile, add me to a circle and I will then send you an invite to the event.

http://gplus.to/NathanMyers

9. NickMate

NickMate Member

Sounds good. Can't wait to see the very final product. Have you thought about the android based PC that's the size of a USB?. Pulling that apart and somehow spitting USB connection to audio and video may allow you to fit it inside of Flass's structure.

10. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Can you make it a public thing so I can mention it on the news page? Or does it have to be invite only? Not sure how the whole hangout thing works.

11. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I'll see if I can make it public and get a link, I've changed it to be on Friday so some Americans can come take a look.

I might also do a special one just for OCAU members before then.

http://tinyurl.com/flassevent See if you can see this event and sign yourself up, I'm not 100% sure if this will be a G+ Hangout or I'll find some other service to use.

EDIT2: I might do a Hangout tonight with a small group to see how it works and what it's like, if you are interested drop me a message and I'll shoot an invite your way!

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

I have ordered a Beaglebone Black, hopefully I can use this to do what I want. I looked at really small Android-based sticks and they are still a bit bulky for what I want to do. At this stage I have everything running through a massive battery pack so having it in a satchel like I do now isn't an issue.

13. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

If anyone was interested in seeing Flass a little bit tonight I can throw up a G+ Hangout for you to join up to, won't be a long session but I'll answer some questions and such if you have them. PM me for details.

14. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

[​IMG]

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Flass 5.0

I have to just add some silicone to the tips of the nose bridge so it
    doesn't dig in so much, also it needs some sanding and a coat of paint,
    I won't be changing much from this point other than making it work with my glasses.

Why not do that now you say? I want to be able to put it on peoples heads
    and wow them with how cool the concept is, I'm doing Google's work for
    them in Australia! Sure mine isn't as cool but it's getting the idea out there
    for people to make them want one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

What I see

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  15. damn duck

damn duck Member

Do you have difficulty reading what's displayed through Flass? It looks like the text would be next to impossible to decipher, but the clock is obvious enough.

16. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Nope, if it is positioned correctly reading is not an issue. I had to play with brightness and contrast settings on the display but that was all.

17. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

[​IMG]

Just a reminder that tonight at 7pm AEST I will be doing a Google+
    Hangout where I will show off Flass, detail my future plans and you get
    your chance to ask me questions about how it was made and how to
    make your own!

Click here for Google+ Event

18. damn duck

damn duck Member

You'll have to look into making your own theme for Android phones, as well as maybe a couple of applications to make life easier.

I see you've 3D printed the frames for the glasses. Why didn't you incorporate a housing for the connectors and stuff? Or is that going to be covered in the next version?

19. OP
    OP
    Ash_Williams

Ash_Williams Member

Join me in my Hangout tonight to learn all these answers, I will be speaking on these things in my stream!

20. fad

fad Member