Flatout - Ultimate Carnage

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by crackthewhip, Sep 4, 2008.

1. crackthewhip

crackthewhip Member

Couldn't find a thread on this so i thought i'd start one. I had a copy of Flatout 2 for PC which i bought a year or so back in Melbourne and i loved the game to bits. Sure it's senseless, mindless destruction but that's generally what i look for in a car simlulator :D I lost disc 1 in a house move which pissed me off so went looking for another copy. Stumbled across this new release today for $50 so i grabbed a copy. Looks fantastic from the screenshots, although it's criticised on the net for being basically Flatout 2 with a few tweaks and better graphics. Doesn't worry me though.

Now i just have to wait until next week for my new computer to arrive so i can actually play it haha.

Link to review

Anyone else got a copy ?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have this and love it, I just wish that the maps and objects were more different to flatout 2.

I've also found its harder to harm other cars while racing, or is it just me?

3. thebranded

thebranded Member

well Flatout 2 was great so ill be looking into this

4. Ospi

Ospi Member

Flatout 2 was so much fun, definitely look at this.

5. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

Does it have Starforce like Flatout 2?

6. power

power Member

pretty sure there's already a thread, i got this it's very similar to the older one's.

it's available for cheap on steam too.

7. banshee343

banshee343 Member

I played this and it sucked imo. Plays pretty much like fo2, except the new ultimate carnage mode which sucks, The menu screens are filled with xbox controls still and it runs like a bucket o crap considering the very minor graphics updates. Everything else is identical to fo2 :thumbdn:

Crappy ports of old games are crappy.

8. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Is this like Carmaggedon?

9. OP
    OP
    crackthewhip

crackthewhip Member

the screens have xbox controls as it supports the xbox controller pad for PC. And from what i can see the graphics updates are more than 'minor'. Anyway each to their own.
    no not really, it's just a generally crazy racing game that involves destroying pretty much everything in sight, including cars and landscapes... with several different modes including destruction derby etc.

10. power

power Member

yeah i found the 360 pad controller options great as i played this on my tv with a wireless 360 pad.

this is nothing like carmageddon.

11. banshee343

banshee343 Member

This doesnt help when your trying to play the game with the native controls for the system your playing on thou (ie. kb + mouse). I found i had to turn most of the details off so it looked similar cos it ran like ass with them up any higher. Seemed very poorly optimized.

12. OP
    OP
    crackthewhip

crackthewhip Member

sounds like what i used to have to do with Flight Sim X.. and probably still will when the new system arrives. What are the specs of your machine if you don't mind me asking ?

13. power

power Member

pro-tip - get a 360 controller it's great for these types of games

i ran everything up full on an E8200/2GB RAM/8800GTS320/XPMCE32@1920*1080 - silky, silky smooth.

14. Adam BK

Adam BK Member

I agree its disappointing, also worst of all there is NO LAN. Instead there is that stupid Windows LIVE Gaming service. The best fun I always had with FlatOut was playing it at Lans with your mates. :thumbdn:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  15. Adam BK

Adam BK Member

Would it have been that hard to implement the ability to use the mouse as well to select menus (in addition to the xbox 360 controller support). I don't have a Xbox controller and found it frustrating to slowly go through the menu selections with a keyboard. I remember reading a review that the developers claimed that it wasn't just going to be a direct port but that they would improve a few features. Yet I don't see any evidence apart from the Windows LIVE service garbage that it is different from the console version.

For US steam users they can pick it up for $19.99 US while we have to pay $49 US! :(

16. ZXR

ZXR Member

When will developers realise that it would take someone a few hours to fix the menu's to work on a PC better? It would make a LOT of people happier as well and would also make it seem they've put a bit more effort into the PC version.

-ZXR

17. banshee343

banshee343 Member

Agreed. I mean sure have it so when you change your controller over to xbox 360 or w/e then it brings up all the xbox controls but trying to navigate stabbing wildy when using a keyboard is terrible. Its all the little things that make something seem finished rather than just another cash grab.

Thanks for the pro tip, but id rather use my G25. If you tweak it enough, its playable.

18. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

I haven't read through the thread but im sure its been said... wtf are these guys thinking bringing out this game... its just flatout2 with a few graphics updates... the game besides that is the same!!!

i was so disappointed by this game... they have just changed the name from flatout2 to ultimate carnage and sold it on.

Also like it was said above why couldn't they just changed the menus so it doesn't look like the xbox 360 version. It's a freaking joke this game.

19. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

If you like this game GET CRASHDAY!! Its awesome fun too :)

20. banshee343

banshee343 Member

Crashday is oldschool! Heaps of fun thou till you hafta turn the soundtrack off cos it drives you up the wall.

ITS JUST ANOTHER CRASHDAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

Edit: Wow i thought that was older than a 2006 release. /me shrugs. Still a fun game but i think flatout is slightly better.