Flight Sale Tips - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by JustHarry, Jan 31, 2018.

1. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

Been wrecking my brain for the last couple of months with deciding which and who to go with for our 6 week trip to Europe at end of the year.

Its still early but I'd rather try book something in the next few weeks so I have something to work towards to (goals yo!).

Flight Centre, STA Travel, Travel Agents in general haven't been helpful at all. No one can tell me when I can expect sales or deals for the time we are going. At the moment, We are looking around $1900 return each with Qatar, Qantas, Emirates etc. Yet I see sales fares for $1300 return each up until the 30th of November this year.

We aim to hit London around the 8th of December 2018, And fly home around the 18th of January 2019. We will be departing from Adelaide and need to be landing back into Adelaide on the way back (dropping Pooch off at families place for the 6 weeks).

Can anyone here give insight into Sale fares and when they may be available or maybe you are a travel agent and can point me in the right direction? Need to gauge when I can expect sale fares to be come out!

TIA.

2. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

You're going in a peak time - I would be booking soon as the price will continue to increase

Look at a site like sky scanner and it will show pricing for the month - you can then see what you can expect.

3. Zee

Zee Member

Sing Air has a sale right now, I believe.

Promo code "FLYSQ2018"

London $1272* - keep clicking "display more" until you get to the Euro fares.

And yeah, I'd be trying to avoid the peak travel period if you want save money, otherwise... Suck it up and buy ASAP.

Z...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. fcyde

fcyde Member

I went around the same time last year. Usually aren't going to be many (if any) sales for December/Jan for Europe. Its peak period.

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Peak season is the reason why their aren’t advertised sales during the period.

Delaying will likely mean increased costs, be it hotels and airfare.

If you see sale on airfares jump on it ASAP than book hotels.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

There are some occasional discounts posted to ozbargain, you could use this discount as a starting place at least for the rest of your journey.

7. OP
    OP
    JustHarry

JustHarry Member

Have been watching Skyscanner, flights we want fluctuating between 1329 return and 1460 return.

STA Travel want drug money for the same flight; $1813 return each.

Flightcentre a bit more steady at $1500 return each.

Theres a travel expo in melbourne next weekend. Anyone ever been? worth it?

8. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

ozbargain.com.au , and watch for flight deals :)

9. Joe91

Joe91 Member

Check out Google Flights too, you can set up pricing alerts so you're notified as soon as anything goes on sale.

I was the same when booking flights too, but $200-300 isn't a big deal in the bigger scheme of a holiday in the UK/Europe for a couple of weeks. Just book something and start working towards planning/booking the rest, you'll be relieved once you've done so.

10. Zee

Zee Member

Search on Tuesday nights. Seriously.

Z...

11. OP
    OP
    JustHarry

JustHarry Member

Z, Share your wisdom.... Why Tuesday nights?

12. Zee

Zee Member

For some reason, I find flights are cheaper on Tuesday nights. May be more related to my specific situation (I buy most tickets 2 weeks in adavance or less), but I find Tuesday tend to be cheapest, Sundays the priciest.

Z...

13. OP
    OP
    JustHarry

JustHarry Member

Well fair enough haha I've had a look to no avail.

The "Travel Expo" FC kept talking about was a flop; My contact had access to the fares that the Travel Expo has (held at the exhibition centre this weekend in melbourne) and they are no different to what their flight centre website has. They just try to add on stupid stuff you don't need.

To date, SkyScanner has the cheapest flights, So we will keep checking up.

14. nav

nav Member

Pro tip - click thru and make sure the flight/deal listed on SkyScanner actually exists, I've been burned previously by one of those aggregator sites.

The $1200 on Sing Air sounds like a winner to me :thumbup:

-nav.

15. Zee

Zee Member

On a side note, I've also seen the post code (that the site thinks you're at) will regularly give differing prices on some sites. EG - searching at my dad's place in Mascot often has slightly cheaper results that my place in Surry Hills. Searching on my PC will, one some sites, give me cheaper prices than my Mac.

Not so much on the actual Airline sites, but on the aggregator sites. Also, if you see a price you like, keep the tab open and active. If you go back later to search it again, the price will often have gone up (I find United Airlines seem to like doing this). You may need to use different browsers for different tabs of the same airline. I've seen lots of shitty little tricks over the years...

Z...

16. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

If you go via Melbourne/Sydney and TPE you can sometimes get pretty cheap flights with China Airlines but the wait times and mucking around may not be worth the $300 or so in savings

17. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Get a girlfriend who works in the aviation industry.
    Pay under $100 for return flights to Japan.
    True story.

the_fuzz likes this.
  18. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

When I've booked international flights google flights and being a bit flexible with my dates was always the cheapest, by a significant margin too.