Flowerpot Tiramisu!

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by AntiMatter, Jun 3, 2012.

1. AntiMatter

AntiMatter Member

Hi guys,

Just made this last night, and unfortunately didn't get any process pics just the results! This recipe is from Heston Blumenthal's show 'How to Cook like Heston'.

It contains a lot of elements, some of which are a little fiddly, but it's not rocket science, and you can do it in about an hour. I made a substitution or two from Heston's original recipe depending on ingredients availability so I've put my version below.

Ingredients
    Chocolate Soil
    a) Crystallised dark chocolate
    -200g caster sugar
    -80g dark chocolate (70%) rough chopped

b) Caramelised white chocolate
    -60g white chocolate

c) Toasted caramel almonds
    -60g slivered almonds
    -2tsp brown sugar

Chocolate Discs
    -250g dark chocolate (70%)

Cream Filling
    -300g Mascarpone
    -3 eggs
    -60mL Port or Marsala Wine
    -200mL Thickened cream
    -50g Caster Sugar

Sponge
    -24 sponge fingers (Savoiardi)
    -400mL brewed coffee
    -100mL Port or Marsala Wine

Mint Leaves to Garnish
    6 small terracotta flower pots!

Method

1. To create the basis of the chocolate soil, you need to crystallise some dark chocolate. It's a fun process to watch. First, put 75mL cold tap water and the 200g caster sugar in a pan on high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Once the edges of the sugar start to brown, take straight off the heat and drop in the chocolate. Stir vigorously and after about 10 seconds you'll see it transform into dry dirt. Pour it out over a tray to cool.

2. To caramelise white chocolate, just put the 60g block onto a tray. Put into an oven preheated to 190c. After 5 minutes or so, poke a spoon in and stir it around as it starts to melt, and do so every few minutes for about 10-15 minutes. The white chocolate will darken and become grainy and solid. Take out and leave to cool.

3. To make the sugared almonds, simply throw the slivers into a small frypan on medium heat. Keep them moving until they are warm and start to colour. Throw over the sugar and keep stirring until it leaves a caramel coating on the almonds. Remove, allow to cool. After 10 minutes of cooling, smash with a mortar and pestle to a fairly fine crumb.

4. We need some thin layers of chocolate for the bottom of the flowerpot and the middle layer. Melt the 250g dark choc in a double boiler. Once smooth and chunk-free, pour out over baking paper in a roasting tray or similar, so it settles out thinly. Put into the freezer for 10 mins.

5. Cream filling! You need two separate mixes, then add them together at the end to prevent over whipping cream. Firstly, in one bowl put the 3 eggs and the sugar together and whisk until light and fluffy. In another bowl (or mixer), put the mascarpone, cream, port and whisk until it becomes light and smooth. Then add the sugar and eggs back in, in 2-3 batches, and mix briefly to combine. I like to add a little vanilla essence too, just at the end.

6. Put the sponge fingers in a flat tray and pour over the brewed coffee and marsala. Once soaked through, mix roughly with a fork so it is a wet crumb.

7. Before you begin to assemble, combine the 3 elements of the chocolate soil together and mix thoroughly with your hands. So it looks like tasty dirt.

ASSEMBLE!

1. Get the sheet of frozen choc from the freezer. Use a pastry cutter or similar round implement the size of inside your pots, and cut out enough discs to cover the hole at the bottom of your pot and another in the middle. For safety, i placed a small square of baking paper over the drainage hole in the pot first.

2. Place the choc disc over the baking paper. Then, spoon in the sponge finger crumb and push down so it fills the bottom 1-1.5cm of the pot.

3. Spoon in a few cm's of cream filling. Then place another choc disc, and a bit more sponge crumb.

4. Spoon more cream filling to leave a few cm's free at the top of the pot. Top it off with the chocolate soil spooned over to cover.

5. Refrigerate! For at least an hour. When you pull them out to serve, plant a mint leaf stem in it to complete the effect that your guests believe you are serving them pot plants as food.

This dessert tastes AWESOME and is topped off by the bemused looks on people's faces when you serve them pot plants.

And it looks like this!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Great effort, sounds like fun :thumbup:

3. Kow

Kow Member

insane, i love it .. pics of the stuff out of the pots?

4. STINGA

STINGA Member

Very cool. :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    AntiMatter

AntiMatter Member

It's a great dinner party dessert! Sorry I didn't get pics of each element making it, if you track down episode 2 of How to Cook Like Heston, you can see him out one together :)

6. Dogo

Dogo Member

Could you taste the clay from the pot at all ?

The next challenge is to make an edible pot !

7. OP
    OP
    AntiMatter

AntiMatter Member

No not at all, I wouldn't expect to, fired terracotta isn't going to leak into your food over any reasoned period of time. An edible pot....that's an idea!

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Looks very cool. Good to see a proper tiramisu recipe as well, and not the "coffee cake with cream" crap you normally see around the place.

My wife makes a mean tiramisu for special occasions. We might try this one out next time. :)

9. Scoobth

Scoobth Member

I look forward to trying this :D

10. JolyV

JolyV Member

looks yummy, Good work!

11. craz3d

craz3d Member

12. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

Man this is all kinds of awesome

13. -TMan-

-TMan- Member

Making this now. Can recommend using an old crappy saucepan for the first stage. The dirt has turned out pretty well. I'm going to do the rest a bit later