fly to london one way

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Luke212, May 9, 2015.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

I want to live in GB for several months for a change. I know they say you can't work. But I still have a job back in Australia. I just RDP remote back to Australia to work. theres absolutely no problem with that is there? or is it better to just not mention it?

2. HeXa

HeXa Member

just get a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

3. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

hehehhe u funny (i think?)

4. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

Why don't you call the embassy and ask?

5. patto

patto Member

Why would you be calling an embassy?

Why would there be any issue with working your Australia job while you are on holiday in Britain?

Don't buy a one way ticket. Buy a flexible return ticket. It is cheaper and makes life far easier at the border. With flexible tickets you can always push back your return date for minimal or no fee.

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Is your employer happy to have you work only from RDP during your holiday?

I suppose if you are taking it at paid holidays and still want to work, that is your perogative.

Could your plan run into issues though trying to connect to VPNs at where you are staying in order to RDP? (Please dont tell me you straight RDP in!)

Also a one way ticket might cause you visa issues. Best (as others have said) to get a flexi return, as they may not grant a visa if its a one way ticket.

7. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

It's cheaper than immigration detention.

8. patto

patto Member

Its also cheaper than a Lamborghini and about as relevant too.

9. wwwww

wwwww Member

In some countries it's illegal to work in any way while on certain visa types.

Yes that's the way to do it.

10. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

You can come here to the UK for 90 days at a time without a visa with an Australian passport but don't buy a one way ticket as that would arouse suspicion that you might be looking to stay/work illegally.

You could potentially come here, work a bit, travel, re enter, work, go home.

11. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

Well they gave me a grilling but I got in eventually. You can stay 6 months Btw, not 90 days

12. eskimo2452

eskimo2452 Member

On a one-way ticket? What kind of info were they asking for?

13. mr sti

mr sti Member

You are probably on a watch list now.

14. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I got sent to London for work for 3 weeks.

Worst 3 weeks of my life. It's a place I never want to go back to.

15. << J o Y i >>

<< J o Y i >> Member

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

16. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I've heard a mixed bag about London and am also curious.

17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Unless your life revolves around Drinking and Smoking, then London is a bore.

When I moved from NZ to Australia, I thought "wow, a lot of people smoke..."

When I moved from Aus to Singapore, I thought "WOW, a LOT of people smoke..."

When I visited London, I think I got lung cancer because not a single day went past where I didn't get subjected to walking down the road inhaling second hand smoke from the number of people who smoke.

Every day, at 6pm, every business in the area (Near Regent/Oxford St) piled out of the office and into the pubs. SO many people drinking spilling out onto the footpath and you're forced to walk on the road to get past.

Food: Most of the food in London, is like Sydney, MASSIVELY overrated. (Sydney has some of the worst food I've had, and people in Sydney don't know how to cook steak, I think they rely on this whole pinching rubbish that doesn't work, Melbourne is MUCH better for food)

There are alot of very rude people in London.

I'm surprised the entire country doesn't live in poverty, shits SO EXPENSIVE... I picked up a block of chocolate that can be had for like $2.50 in Sydney, it was 3 pounds 10 in London...

Highlights?
    http://www.benitos-hat.com/

This place, was, so, bloody, good! OMG I miss it so much.

That's about it.

I hated how expensive everything was, the lack of places to shop in oxford st (its all football crap), the smoking, the drinking, the food.

OH And when I left the country, immigration was a ****.

I got pulled aside because I had a camera bag with lens and they questioned how I could afford it all. Well before they questioned me, they pulled me aside and then waited 30 minutes before some random guy asked why i'm standing there and then had to go find someone to do a bag check.

I also got asked why i live in a '3rd world country' when I said I live in Singapore.

18. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

I think you would be a fun person to hang out with :p

You're absolutely right about the pub culture... but it's completely optional. Smoking I've never really noticed and smoke does bother me.

I would say it's not a particularly pleasant place to live unless you make good money.

Fark I didn't realise you were gonna hop on a plane so soon. So what's your plan?

Living in Spain or Portugal for a couple months would have been my choice as its far cheaper (depending on where you are).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  19. << J o Y i >>

<< J o Y i >> Member

Interesting views.

Reason I asked is because I've found a lot of like about London. I've found some really good food - places like Borough Market and Maltby Street Market are awesome, along with good mid to high end restaurants (of course terrible restaurants exist, but you just need to choose wisely). And there's always a lot going on culturally etc (always something to do over the weekend).

Things are generally expensive in London (expect groceries) but you expect that in a global city.

I also find your Melbourne / Sydney food comparison interesting as I've lived in both cities and found good in both cities. Sydney is definitely more expensive on average though.

20. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I have been thinking over night and realised I lied.

1) I went to a Gordon Ramsey restrurant... Got a $270 steak, cooked medium rare. It was THE-BEST-STREAK-IVE-EVER-HAD-IN-MY-LIFE... The thing melted in my mouth.

[​IMG]

2) There was a little pie shop, I forget where, was a couple minutes walk from oxford circus line. Amazing pies they have.

Note: All the places I tried over 3 weeks were recommendations from people living in London for most of their life.