Flying Air New Zealand using points, I have no clue

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ma Baker, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I'm looking at booking 2 flights one way from Melbourne to Auckland in February and am trying to work out the cheapest way to do the booking so hope that someone can give me some pointers. I want 2 premium economy tickets with Air New Zealand.

I've seen people purchase points as a way of making the flight cheaper. Is it safe to do this? Can it be cancelled on you? Are there any pitfalls to using points rather than paying?

• If I buy points what type of points do I need to buy to fly with Air New Zealand?
    • How many points would I need to purchase to pay for 2 premium economy tickets?
    • How much would the fees/taxes be on top of buying the points?
    So far I've been able to find the flights for $467 through Skyscanner, not sure if this is the best/safest one to use or not.

• Would I be better off purchasing a normal ticket and using points to upgrade to premium economy?
    • How many points would it cost to upgrade?
    • Would there still be fees/taxes on top since an ordinary tickets has already been purchased or are there still more fees/taxes to pay?
    That's all I can think of at present, if anyone can think of anything I've missed or tips that could help with my searches I'd appreciate it.

Thank you. :)

2. Agg

Agg Administrator

Late reply, but it's probably best to walk into a travel agency and ask them. They're usually happy to outline your options and let you take info away to think about. They often have access to better deals and can bundle car hire and stuff too. Worth a try..

3. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

February 2019? I booked flights to/from Canberra a few weeks ago, one week I checked and it was $700 each way, the next week the exact same flight and times had dropped to $400-there-$600-return.
    I've usually been able to get better rates on flights just by keeping an eye on the fares in the months leading up to when you actually have to travel.

I can't comment about the points, sorry!

4. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Thanks both. Yes I've been checking regularly. It's probably a bit too far away for the special deals yet.