1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

FM Transmitter boost

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by mcfee03, Apr 13, 2017.

1. mcfee03

mcfee03 Member

Hi,

So my car has no other option than an FM Transmitter. Replacing the head unit/stereo isn't an option.

My FM arial is in the boot of the car, and I have cigerette ports there. I plan to run a long AUX cable from the boot, to the front of the car. This way the FM Transmitter will be as close as possible to the arial.

1. Is there any point building my own and making my own arial? Like this one

2. Does the signal not matter as much because I will never have a strong signal than a "real" radio station?

I am in the Sydney CBD area, so there are lots of frequencies to contend with.

2. Copie

Copie Member

What vehicle is it? Also belkin make BT FM transmitters which means you wouldn't need to run cables.

3. bleckers

bleckers Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I played around with FM transmitters before, radio stations on adjacent frequencies in busy RF areas deteriorating the signal, car's electrical fields/alternator mucking around with the signal (nothing like hearing a whine through your speakers that changes pitch with your engine rpm :lol:), mediocre audio quality ect were all issues

5. pantner

pantner Member

I think you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

You don't need to overpower the other radio stations, you set the transmitter to a frequency that is unused and then tune your radio into that.

There will be some kind of adjustment (dip switches, sliding switch, etc) that will let you choose the frequency. I guess it's possible some newer/fancier ones might have an auto scan function???

I highly doubt all the avaliable frequencies will be in use.

When i had mine (old, unbranded one, 9+ years ago) it just sat in the centre console powered from the cigarette lighter playing MP3s off a USB drive.
    No problems.

6. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Make it transmit too strong and you will soon have some official looking people knocking on your door.

7. Renza

Renza Member

Signal strength is proportional to the inverse square of the distance between the transmitter. It's not hard to have a signal that is strong if the transmitter and receiver are within a few meters of each other.

8. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

In-car FM device effective radiated power legal limit: 10 microwatts
    FM104.1 todayfm effective radiated power: 80 kilowatts

Do that math lol, obviously you try and choose an open frequency because in the CBD, it wont matter how close you pair the transmitter and receiver

9. miicah

miicah Member

Is this to improve your FM signal? I'm confused.

10. heller44

heller44 Member

It will be fm link from personal music / podcast playing device I'd guess.

Just about every OEM head unit has another way of getting an auxiliary input. What is the car and what model unit?