Food and macro photography - for my blog

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by akika, Dec 15, 2010.

1. akika

akika Member

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda new to this forum (as in I haven't really posted) but I've recently gotten into food and macro photography so thought I'd share some of my photos here. I started a blog where I've mainly done restaurant food reviews (for Melbourne restaurants) and just today, posted up my first macro photo attempt. Can any helpful people give me some constructive feedback on both the macro and food photos? My website is http://www.ichigoshortcake.com.

The lens I used to take the macro photos is the Canon 100mm f2.8L macro USM, I know it's not that zoomed in and probably need an extension tube if I wanted to take closer shots. Some examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The food photos I've been using the 50mm f1.4 prime, and the 18-200mm f3.5 that came with my Canon 550D package. I tend to like the 50mm a lot more but in low light, it doesn't seem to focus that well. And since restaurants are mostly quite dark, sometimes it's difficult to get good photos. Any tips or suggestions would be nice there too :). Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. maslander

maslander Member

The two food shots you have posted look to be in focus but it seems very shallow. Assuming you have taken the shots at F/1.4 i would suggest increasing the apature if you want the whole plate in focus. Maybe try F/2.8 and bump up the ISO if the lighting is bad.

3. two40

two40 Member

Have you seen recently published cookery books? Shallow as hell.

Having said that, I agree with the comment for the first food pic although that's more to do with framing than anything.

4. dche5390

dche5390 Member

A knife and fork with those noodles just seems wrong.

5. renagade

renagade Member

Looks like a spoon to me?

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

^

Have a look around at some different food photographers and get a glimpse of the style.. and give it a bash

Plus you get to eat the proceeds :lol:

Even still.. should be chopsticks or themed to the dish imo.

7. dche5390

dche5390 Member

My bad. Still recovering poorly from a long yesterday.

Lighting is your friend and enemy. Especially for food photography. You will need to at the very least, strobe to fill, which isn't always practical for food blogging purposes due to annoyed patrons. But hey, you gotta do what you have to to get the shot to drive traffic etc.

I gave up food blogging. Just didn't have the character to start strobing people around me. And ... I tend to eat the food first, then remember why I was there later. *burp*

8. maslander

maslander Member

I'll happily admit that i don't read cookery books. but as it had been up for 24hours and had just under 100 views (with no feedback) i thought i'd be nice and post something to get things rolling.

It has obviously worked. :tongue:

9. OP
    OP
    akika

akika Member

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I do admit, I didn't quite notice the fork and spoon being out of place for the noodle dish as that was what came with it. I'll watch out for those next time. :)

I'm also still trying to learn how to use my camera (a bit of a slow learner with these things) and tend to forget to change the depth of field when I'm faced with hungry companions and quickly cooling food. It's definitely one of the challenges I find, and of course the framing of the photos.

I'll keep working on it! Thanks :)

10. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

All part of the learning process :D

I would say check out some other people for inspiration then have your own take on it :)

You did have the right outcome tho.. because it did make me hungry :)