Food Trends

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Active Snail, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Active Snail

Active Snail Member

Food trends have been around for donkeys but I reckon the popularity of shit like Masterchef and My Kitchen Rules has pushed food trends along massively in the last 10-15 years – in addition to our dollar steamrolling the Euro, Pound and USD in the early 2010’s resulting in so many of us travelling and experiencing good foreign tucker. I remember it being hard work finding a really decent burger in Australia, now, you can pretty much get one on any given corner. The same goes for bakeries, you’d be flat out finding one that made a Portuguese tart or a decent pie but theyre a dime a dozen these days, even in shitholes like the Gold Coast. Not so long ago, if a bunch of mates went out for a few beers in town theyd rip open a 200g bag of Smiths or Tasty Toobs in the middle of the table surrounded by schooners of Tooheys New. Now we’re eating $60 a kilo cheeses and charcuterie with $15 pints of small batch beer like it’s a morning coffee and toast.

Personally, I really don’t get the whole “share plates” thing and all the bullshit and naff that goes with it. Just give me a plate of food and please don’t serve it a chunk of fucking wood, if you don’t mind. Just give me a meal, on an actual plate, that I can eat while my companions do the same.

On the other hand, im loving the trending popularity of top standard Vietnamese food. Its always been there I suppose, but lately its popping up in good numbers and in good quality and I cant get enough of it.

So what do you like or not like about any recent food trends?

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

My favs amongst the trends over the years are:
    - Burgers
    - Kebabs in the day, now HSP's
    - Dumplings
    - Bubble Tea
    - Korean BBQ
    - Authentic Indian food (Dandenong etc)
    - American BBQ, slow cooked & smoked

Mm thinking about it all is making me hungry

3. Varg

Varg Member

American BBQ is top priority.

After I got back from the mid west and the south, I was desperate for places that did American BBQ properly in AUS but there were nothing more than poor imitations.

Sides of boneless buffalo wings with ranch and blue cheese, brisket that isn't just two slices for $30 and a very small amount of smoke, Rib racks with better sauces other than just the sickly sweet garbage from a bottle, tex-mex chili bowls, BWW style sports bar settings with deals on certain days and plenty of awesome dry rubs.

Need those things to be the norm here.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I like how there is so much variety now, but I also hate how there is so much variety now, having to choose when you like lots of things....

I don't really know what bubble tea is. They opened a new kiosk up at the shops. Everyone was queuing up, they had a 2 for one opening special. I don't know what any of it is, to know what to try :( It's something to figure out.

One trend I particularly dislike is using "brioche" buns for burgers or "sliders" (what the hell is a "slider" anyway?). Give me some decent normal bread, please.

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

started in Taiwan, used to be just milk and tea and tapioca "pearls" or "bubbles" (real name is boba). Now it's basically fruit drinks, milk tea, yoghurt drinks with different flavoured "pearls" or you can add stuff like jelly

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

It looked like they had soy beans or something in them :confused: Do you drink the drink, and then eat the "stuff" with a spoon afterwards, or is it just in there to flavour the drink? Are they sweet/sugary drinks?

7. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

It requires the right ratio to enjoy. You can't have too few pearls that you run out of them before the tea is drunk.
    It's a science .....a delicious science.

8. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

It's tea flavoured milk with an addition of your choice of fruit flavour. The tapioca pearls are delicious without actually having any taste to them, it's more a textual feeling while drinking it.

Try it next time. Get a blueberry milk tea with pearls.
    You'll either love it or hate it.

9. Varg

Varg Member

I am an absolute sucker for Cha-Time Mango milk tea with apple popping pearls.

A plastic film is heat treated to the top of the cup and you're given a large straw that can accommodate the pearls. You drink and get some pearls with each sip.

broccoli likes this.
  10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, is that not very sweet? I'm not keen on sweet. Do they do something gingery or not sweet? Something tart, lemons or something?

11. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Oh yea, they usually have heaps to choose from.
    Imo blueberry and similar are in the middle of the sweetness range.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. broccoli

broccoli Member

So what are popping pearls, and why are the peals black in the picture on chatime website? Isn't tapioca pale? And what are the red beans, and do you eat those after or suck them up? Is there anything they don't go with?

This is all such a mystery to me, but I'm determined to try something next time I go to the shops where it's opened up.

13. linkdup

linkdup Member

You need to come to Brisbane. There is a BBQ in East Brisbane that is really good, called Smokey Moo. It has excellent American BBQ... $41 - 48 a Kg for beef ribs, brisket, pastrami etc. However, they do not have burnt ends...

14. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

While American BBQ is generally excellent food when done properly, and idI love it to be done well over here, I'm not sure if it ever will. While the home barbecue scene is just getting bigger and better with a larger variety of pits, the cost of production of commercial meals is kind of prohibitive.

Quality meat is quite a ways cheaper in the States, as well as the labour cost of manning a pit for the many hours of a cook is a large chunk of production cost.

I think, at the moment, at best it's a very niche market, best suited to hobbyists who are doing it for love rather than a business opportunity.

I hope this changes, and if more and more outlets become popular and profitable, the market will grow, and it will move from niche to mainstream, micm like gourmet burgers did a few years ago. Because it really is delicious.

15. Varg

Varg Member

I need to go back to Brisbane. I miss my boiis and I need to get my teeth into that meat. The burger scene has sprouted some amazing places to eat and I want the same for American BBQ. Happy to try my hand at home with a smoker and a lot of patience but making it mainstream would be fantastic.

16. OP
    OP
    Active Snail

Active Snail Member

100% correct. Not to mention the availability of cherry, apple and pecan wood that is easy to get along with reasonable meat prices as you mentioned.

Also, i noticed when i traveled there are a lot of BBQ places in the states that are "in the stix" so to speak, so theyre places outside of a built up area as part of a roadhouse or stand alone home/shed outside of town and people are willing to go to them. So they have the space and means to make it happen as well. I remember a few years back a really awesome place opened in Coolangatta called JR's BBQ and it was as close to authentic USA BBQ as ive had in Australia, it was done properly by the owner from the time his alarm went off at 4:30AM to get the briskets ready for lunch and the fire tended to all day for dinner as well. Of course it created a lot of smoke and strong smells so all of the residents in the surrounding area just whinged to the Council for months on end before they shut him down. Real shame.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  17. miicah

miicah Member

Billy's BBQ near us does decent BBQ, not that expensive either.

18. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

plenty of BBQ here in Melbourne not sure how it compares to USA stuff as all i ate over there was Fried chicken and burgers

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don;t mind the shared stuff. As for the wood, it's unhygienic and wanky so I don;t care for it personally. My golf club used to do it until people told them to drop it.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

I did it, I got my first bubble tea today. Yum, it's really nice. I got "special pearl tea". I don't know what's special about it, but it's yummy, I like it, will get again.