1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

For those who play online games and have high speed internet...

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by P00peyes, Sep 1, 2016.

1. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

What is your experience like?

Particularly for those who share an internet connection with several house members.

I have ADSL 2 (6.5down/0.75up) and although my experience is acceptable when I'm home alone, the moment someone so much as opens a web browser (not talking about streaming videos or downloading) my ping sky rockets.

Makes for some serious frustration among the house.

Does having a high download and upload rate alleviate this somewhat? I'm assuming it would because most online games require a more stable connection as opposed to raw speed...

2. T-Bones

T-Bones Member

I have the same issue as you, I'm OK while it's just me but when my son plays his online games also it definitely puts strain on getting a satisfactory ping.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

100/40 NBN here.

Wife can be streaming netflix.
    Kid 1 can be doing whatever he does.
    Kid 2 will be watching youtube.
    Random devices will be doing their 'thang' on the internet (Downloading linux isos via Bittorrent)

Pings always low and solid

4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

It's definitely a big thing for me. Multiple devices, Netflix, others gaming, and I'm OK. Although I do clog others (gaming) when I decide to grab stuff at my seedbox at full speed. But, I'm the boss of the house, I do what I want :D

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I'm on 50/20, and ditto - pings are never a problem. I limit downloads to 35 megabits to ensure there's some headroom, but frankly nothing ever takes very long to download anyway.

6. Frogloose

Frogloose (Banned or Deleted)

160/80 NBN I can have downloads going, play games, stream and host plex servers no problems and doesn't effect my pings at all

7. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

What company offers 160/80 NBN?

Thanks.

8. Frogloose

Frogloose (Banned or Deleted)

It's a bonded connection from 2 different suppliers, iprimus reseller and tpg

9. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

I see. Because when I was looking at nbn offers, best I could see was 100/40.

10. Kurgan

Kurgan Member

Had similar issues in the past that was caused by a router that struggled with multiple connections.

11. hvalac

hvalac Member

I feel your struggle OP.

Atm i'm playing Path of Exile and can view my latency constantly, whilst by myself i'm on 64ms with my wife home and only watching netflix my ping is alway on the move, going from 64 - 130ms every 1-2 seconds and it makes the game very jerky and if she opens any form of web page whilst watching netflix or not the latency just jumps exponentially... in the hundreds if not thousands...
    7.9Mbps down 1Mbps up.

12. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

I am in a similar situation here, with similar speeds to the OP. Any suggestions on the best voip adsl modem router to do the job? Currently using a Bob Lite for IInet. :D

13. summoner

summoner Member

Had ADSL2 which sync'd at 14mbit or so.. 2 and sometimes 3 people playing online at the same time, no issues. 1 playing another streaming, still no issues.

on 100/40 nbn now.. wife streams netflix in full HD, downloading etc and can still game perfectly fine.

14. emett

emett Member

Wow, Noice.

15. Rezin

Rezin Member

So why is it 160/80 and not 200/80? Any idea if that's possible with iiNet and Internode NBN plans?

16. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Optus cable.

I can run my games, wife on her lappy, kids on tablets, Netflix in the background.....never seen it slow down once, even if a couple of new laptops from the wife's uni friends start hitting it as well:leet:

17. power

power Member

nbn is just a whole other level - I was at a lan, 6 blokes playing BF4 while another dude was raping the shit out of Origin downloading BF4 in about 15 mins (all 40GB or whatever) no impact on the game for the guys playing.

Cable is shit in comparision.

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

NBN business @ 1 Gbps down / 100 Mbps up. :thumbup:

19. danyell

danyell Member

Which answers the OPs questions and contributes how?

I've got 100 megabit cable getting installed this Saturday. I'll finally be able to implement some decent QoS that doesn't significantly impact on overall download speed potential, as it does on my 5 megabit ADSL connection if I turn it on now.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more input from people managing bandwidth on these fatter connections... Saturation is saturation, regardless of speeds attainable

20. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

I've got about the same, well half that upload speed, and it's variable. Sometimes it makes no difference, sometimes it makes gaming impossible (ping of 999ms+).

I use the router's QoS to prioritise game traffic, upstream only as down doesn't matter, and that helps, I think. On my machine I use Gigabyte Speed to prioritise for ping and such traffic and that seems to work for what is originating on my machine as even if downloading it makes very little difference to the ping unlike what it was like before I upgraded.

Still it's ADSL and even 45ms isn't that great for games, or player class in some games, where the ping matters. 30ms less doesn't seem like much but it really is especially if you're like me and use timing more than accuracy.