FormD T1 Releases Saturday 2AM

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by kmao37, Jul 2, 2020.

1. ominae

ominae Member

What’s the recommended fan config for custom watercooling with 240 mm rad? Fans on top, pulling through rad seems to be what most people are doing?

Thought push config was better for some reason?

2. Tazor

Tazor Member

I think pull is best because it draws the cool air through the sides and up through the radiator but I don't think in this config it would make a huge difference.

3. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

Push underneath the rad would also draw cool air in from the sides :leet:

Clearance from the motherboard is the main issue. Some users reported fans beneath the rad fouling on VRM heatsinks or even the 8-pin CPU cable clips (if the connector was at the very edge of the board). There were other reports of air turbulence noise when the fan was so close to the spine of the case and motherboard edge.

I went with the two chromax fans in pull on top of an EK Classic rad and am getting reasonable results.

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

You know I realised that after I said it but in my head I was like "higher fan make more cold air pull" *in caveman voice* and rolled with it. Motherboard clearance makes more sense haha

AdamMB23 likes this.
  5. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

I swear optimum tech did a video looking at fan configuration optimisation in the M1 - ill see if I can find it later

6. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I think its far more dependant on what fits your configuration better. I am going to have Top panel, fans, rad. Because I want to have 90 degree fittings coming out of the rad and running across it to the cpu block. I also do not want to deal with fans fowling on anything.

The panel>fan>rad config you can also run another fan under the PSU. But really I think thats only worth the cost and hassle if you are running cpu and gpu in the loop. Otherwise 2 slim fans is plenty.

7. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

Fabio has tested both fans in push and pull - difference was essentially within the margin of error for testing (1-2C). The mesh sides mean airflow is not an issue - though any fans you have should be exhausting to create negative pressure inside the case to draw air through the sides.

My personal opinion is having the fans on the panel side makes it easier to work between the rad and mobo/PSU.

AdamMB23 likes this.
  8. ominae

ominae Member

Thanks for all the feedback :)

9. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

And once again - T1 Champion Fabio shows his Dual 240 Rad build. Waiting for some more testing to come through but not sure if this will pave the way for 30 series water-cooling in the T1. Aquanaut looks good though - saw this on the SFF network and glad it works well with the T1. In other news - my EK order has finally left Amsterdam (After touring Europe) and should be here within a week :)

SSJ4 and Tazor like this.
  10. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

FTW3 confirmed to fit. Power cables are tight apparently but the guy got it to fit with the stock SF750 cables.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ANIcvBO

My issue now is my FTW3 order is like 6000 spots or something behind my xc3 lol

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    AdamMB23 likes this.
  11. Tazor

Tazor Member

Can always just sell the XC3 (to me) once you get your FTW3 no?

From what I've seen it is VERY tight with the connectors actually resting againt the top strut and having to be routed in front of the card as there's no space at the end or top - although that may have been down to the cables being used I reckon as the first guy I saw used a SilverStone SFX PSU and their cables and stiff as a... Actually I might let you guys make your own simile for that one :lol:

Question for people here - I am unhappy with the LOOK of my current set up, I am using an ASRock H470i (the grey one with double M.2 slots on top) and 32Gb of Vulkan memory but I want to move to something more black with a bit of lighting and some Neo Z memory. Want to bounce my options off y'all and get your opinions.

I am going to be getting the EK-AIO 240 for my system, I currently have an i9 10900F in there which performs beautifully and never gets too hot under the L12S so under a 240 I should get near silence all the time.

Do I:
    A) Swap out my motherboard, memory and SSD (500Gb too smol) for a Z490i Strix and 3200Mhz Neo Z memory with a 2Tb Gen3 M.2 SSD ($1,127)
    or
    2) Move to AM4 when 5000 series release and get a 5900X with a Strix B550-I, 3600Mhz Neo Z memory and a 2Tb Gen4 M.2 SSD ($1,247 without CPU)

Just want to get some general feedback from peeps haha

12. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

What will Zen 3 give you over your 10th gen Intel? You said yourself it performs beautifully, personally I'd stick with your current CPU and save the money for a custom loop :D

A lot of people buy the T1 then wait for the "perfect build" to put in it. If what you have works for you, build it and enjoy your purchase!

13. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Yeh the first guy to post about the FTW3 was using silverstone stock cables. The "ribbon" style ones. So although his didnt fit perfectly it gave me confidence that it was going to work if I was specific about cable choice.

Then the guy who posted the photo I linked said he used the stock SF750 cables. Which is awesome because they are the cables I will be using. I am going to be shortening them as I got a spare set of cables from Raincloudx. At the same time as shortening the wires I think I will shave a couple MM off the cable entry into the connectors. In this case every mm is going to count.

I'm not going to go to this kind of extreme though. But a little extra wiggle room will be good.

Perhaps we should take this to the DM's. I'd rather allocate my order to an OCAU member than simply cancelling.

Hmmm personally I think changing platforms would be a huge waste of cash. It'll be more of a side step for performance.

I think that changing to some nice RAM. Perhaps look at the Aorus ram or the ballistix rgb. As well as the EK AIO will look great.

Have you already got custom cables? because properly managed sleeved cables will go the furthest for aesthetics.

Yep. Mines been sitting in a box lol.

Now that I know my GPU of choice is going to fit I can start to seriously think about putting it together. Still very curious if the XC3 will fit in 2 slot mode. My gut says its going to. But now I know at least I can build my T1 in 3 slot mode and just swap my gpu out when it arrives.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  14. Tazor

Tazor Member

I think you're right - I'm just constantly changing things for the fun of it more than looking for the hunt for perfection - I just want something a bit more aethetically pleasing haha

I'm going to be ordering a set through PSlate again - opting for black and disco night paracord - should look sick.

I think you're both right though - part of me is thinking of going Aorus motherboard and maybe I'll look into their memory too.

15. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

I get that, but other than the glamour shots you take before putting the sides on, you're not going to see the internals (apart from the ARR GEE BEE). I nearly bought the D-RGB mounting plate for my Velocity block but decided I couldn't be bothered, as nothing else on the top of the mobo has RGB (RAM is Vengeance LPX). There's a nice green glow from the mobo edge LEDs and bleed through from the GPU block (which also glows against the wall behind) that is just fine for me :)

16. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

I don't mind spending extra $$ for aesthetics. The enjoyment for me is the building/acquiring and planning process more so than actually using the PC. If you have the means id definitely go for it. I just started building my first iteration - but already planning my 2 rad setup. Problem is i bought a magnitude block and they are pricy af, so i don't really want to replace it with an ugly but practical aquanaut...oh well :p

17. Tazor

Tazor Member

I mean you already have a pump don't you? ;P

AdamMB23 likes this.
  18. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Anyone see all the drama surrounding adding 2.5 or 2.75 slot GPU support?

The TLDR;

Anyone even mentioning it being a cool feature would be shut down by that one guy that thinks he is Wahaha personal messenger.

Low and behold. There is now a poll on adding more GPU compatibility. That thread is seriously the worst impossible to theory craft without people getting the pitch forks out.

19. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I saw and had a good read haha, he means well but definitely doesn't convey himself in a professional way.

The fact they had to get a moderator in is pretty crazy - and yeah funny that Wahaha confirmed it was something they were already looking into lol

I for one would be pretty keen on a 2.5 slot option as it would give better clearance for the EK AIO and guarantee compatibility with some of the *slightly* thicker than 2 slot 3080 cards.

20. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

The guy is a knob. Constantly talking down to people. Had a chuckle when he was rambling about tooling cost. When in reality CNC products arent "tooled" each part is essentially bespoke and can be changed literally at any time.

The back panels for IO is a different story. They might have a punch tool for that. But plate steel is extremely cheap to have worked.

Really the biggest cost is the RnD.

But yeh. 2.5 would open alot of options. It's such a waste to have cards ever slightly to think running in 3 slot mode. 2.5 is a good compromise.