Formula AU Sim Racing Cockpit - Development worklog

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by aXLe, Mar 27, 2012.

1. aXLe

aXLe Member

(Quite) Some time ago, I started designing a sim-racing cockpit that would use the Logitech G25/G27 driving controls.

My aim was to build something that was fairly ergonomically correct versus a real single seater race car such as Formula Ford or similar, and something that would give you that semi-enclosed feeling.

The original design and build worklog is here

The project has now reached a point where it is pretty much complete other than the originally planned fibreglass nose.

This new worklog therefore, allows me to effectively start from fresh as I document the development of the prototype.

The Original CAD design :

[​IMG]

Current prototype build progress :

[​IMG]

My plans for the current prototype are as follows :

1. Minor redesign of the front and rear sections to enable quick and easy removal of the front section for shipping/storage.

2. Reinforcement of pedal plate as the 3mm steel does flex with load

3. Development of the H-Shifter mount

4. Development of a nose support structure

5. Design and development of a free standing triple monitor mount.

6. Design of suitable wiring harness to tidy up all cables

[​IMG]

2. brayway

brayway Member

Will be good to see this finally finished :lol:

but seriously, the design looks really good :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Ok. This prototype has now had several hours logged and its going pretty well.

I've started to think about the nose again, and decided that the fibreglass route is too complex (for me to make!).

A simple tubular nose will likely be used - more for form than function.

I drew this in CAD (which incorporates some of the other changes for chassis #2) :

[​IMG]

And followed it up with a rather crude mock up using fencing wire, cable ties, and silver split loom tube from IKEA :D :

[​IMG]

What do you think?

To me it looks way better than the naked cockpit :

[​IMG]

some more photos with the mock up nose :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This prototype chassis will get one of these tubular noses when I find a tube bender with the right radius mandrels :)

The tube will bolt on so its removable for storage, plus I'll likely have a small panel at the very tip of the nose for a racing number or other decals :)

Chassis #2 will feature a larger rear wing also (not yet drawn up).

You will note that I haven't done the nose support for the prototype as yet - or the shifter mount, or the cable management - all to come :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Yeah - taken quite some time to get to where it is - LOL.

I tell you what though, it looks awesome in the flesh - way better than in the photos. I'm quite surprised how professional it looks to be honest!

5. c.f4

c.f4 Member

Axle, where in Brisbane are you located. Might have to swing by and take a look at this awesomeness! (If you let me and if the wifey lets me).

She thinks if I come along I will want something similar to you. And that requires countless man hours away from the missus :D

6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

In order to boost my dropbox space a little (which I use for my CAD work) I'm offering anyone interested a copy on my G25 Solidworks models (the pedals which I spent quite a bit of time measuring).

Once completed, PM me your email address and I'll invite you to the folder where you can download the models.

7. SpeedyReadie

SpeedyReadie New Member

This looks awesome mate. Well done!

As for driving position goes, I believe this isn't a position open wheelers take anymore, it's definitely more of a V8 Supercars position. See this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMfiB8ck20

Open wheelers have their pedals sitting much much higher.

But none the less, still a very cool project. Hopefully all goes well :D

8. dbens1

dbens1 Member

9. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

cool pic :)

Yeah I wasnt going for the F1 position - more for a regular formula ford or vee type position with a low nose. To be honest I'd still like to build a supersport one day (LMP style) and this serves as a mockup for the seating position I'd have in that.

The pedals are slightly higher than the seat of your pants in this one though (25mm), and Chassis #2 will be slightly higher again, but not too high as the G25/G27 driving controls arent really suited to that laid back position (the housing is a bit bulky and blocks the forward view). Chassis #2 will have a couple of different positions available for the nose.

Its very comfy though - feels good and with the tubes along the side it does give you a feel of jumping into a racecar of sorts.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  10. dbens1

dbens1 Member

11. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

12. Rainey

Rainey Member

13. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Finally got going on this again - Chassis #2 is taking shape. May not look it but there are actually quite a few changes

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

I've abandoned my plan for a triple monitor mount - with this Kickstarter project I've seen the future of SimRacing

[​IMG]

Just finalising the new steering adjustment mechanism for Chassis #2 and I'll get some quotes on laser cutting all the tubes

[​IMG]

15. Jtech

Jtech New Member

wow looking good bro

16. robnkel

robnkel Member

So when you wear this how do you see your actual steering wheel etc?
    I know that cockpit mode would let you see the virtual cockpit, but the more i think about it the stranger i think it would be. Tactile feedback would be all by feel . Like stabbing about in the dark.
    Hmmm...
    So your gonna wait for the consumer version and games to be made available.
    Interesting times ahead.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  17. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Hmmm.... yeah I hadnt thought much about that side. Wheel and pedals should be fine - dont need to see them - H-Shift should be ok too - can use that by feel. Button boxes and additional buttons etc could be tricky! I dont know whether you can see out the bottom of the VR headset - I'm thinking now that perhaps you can??

But I honestly think this will be awesome for sim racing regardless.

I sent an email to both iRacing and SimRaceway saying that "no doubt you are aware of the Oculus Kickstarter project..... blah blah..... do you plan to support this?" And surprisingly they hadnt heard of it but SimRaceway thanked me for letting them know (and said that they had pledged funds for a dev kit) and look forward to implementing it. iRacing was much the same - said they had passed it along to the engineers to see if they can integrate it into the sim.

So its very early days but I'm hoping that this does get implemented by all the other sims out there as well.

Just imagine being able to turn your head and look around the grid etc, look into corners - I think it could be incredible - and potentially 3D as well.

I'm just going to carry on with my cockpit and finish it off. I may or may not bother with a monitor mount but I'm not going to bother until my cockpit is done (I'll personally use it in front of a big TV screen till I can try Oculus) . Time has always been my main problem, but I should have a bit of time to spend finishing this off now. Then I'll get quotes on laser cutting tubes, and TIG welding, both here and in China (my preference is to keep it Australian made, but cost wise I may well have to settle for Australian Designed).

Depending on shipping cost it may be more realistic to assemble it here or to figure out how the rear section could be split up into separate sections that can be bolted together neatly, but I'd prefer a welded frame over a bolt together one (except for the nose and front section which bolt on anyway).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  18. JabTronic

JabTronic Member

If you haven't experimented with IR tracking etc already, give FaceTrackNoIR a try. It uses your webcam to track head movement instead of needing to wear an IR headband or whatever. I tried it out before I got my triple screen set up and thought it worked pretty well but the movement was too distracting for me when racing.

19. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

The major difference with Oculus though is that the screen moves with you - you move your head, the onboard accelerometers change the view to suit BUT your eyes are still looking straight ahead relative to your head.

Most of those other things mean that you turn your head and the view changes, but to look into a corner for example - how well do they work? I'm thinking you would end up moving your head but your eyes too? Like twisting your head, but still looking at the centre of the screen?

does that make sense?

I've not used one so I'm not sure how well it would work, but Oculus should be fairly natural, although I dont believe it tracks eye movement - just head movement - so perhaps it would be a little odd?

I'll have to suck it and see :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  20. Vanilla_Thunder

Vanilla_Thunder Member

Nice modelling skills with Solidworks. What do you do for a living Axle?