Fortnite

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

But the human eye cannot detect above 28???

strong /s

Rubberband and walker_2003 like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

From a remake/remaster point of view, it depends on the game engine and what they're doing with it. Some older engines used the frame ticker as an internal time reference, which means changing the framerate (faster or slower) breaks the entire thing and makes it unusable.

In those particular circumstances, if they build the engine from the ground up and use the old assets, then it can be worked around. But in doing so you often lose the "accuracy" and end up with a game that acts and feels different. May or may not be what you want, depending on the title. As an example, the recent Crash Bandicoot remake used a completely new engine to get 60FPS+ (the old game was one of those locked to a different framerate due to timing issues). End result is glaring inaccuracies between the original and the remake, although most people don't really care for that particular game, so that's not so bad. There are other examples where timing accuracy between versions matters a lot (arcade fighting games, for example), and changing that for a remake doesn't please the fan base.

The other side to "rebuilding from the ground up" is dev time, which equals dev costs, which may or may not be an issue depending on what you expect to make from the game if it's going to be considered a budget release. If you're pushing something out for low dollars, than you're not going to be reinventing the wheel, as that's how you lose your house when you run out of money and go bankrupt.

So yeah, sometimes there is a valid reason or two behind decisions to cap framerates, particularly for old games where framerate and engine timing were tied closely and they were made in an era before modern concepts like deferred rendering (where internal timers aren't so closely related to what's being spat out of the frame buffer).

The reality of game dev is that there's more to it than just ticking the "uncapped FPS go go go" check box, especially when converting old games to new platforms.

If you're making a brand new game in 2018, then yeah, go bananas. Almost every half-decent engine and SDK will make that easy for you today compared to decades gone by.

Apologies for the offtopic interruption. None of that really has anything to do with a modern game like Fortnite. The quoted sentence just tweaked my retro radar.

walker_2003 likes this.
  3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah good points but that other game you insisted on buying in steam sale is capped @ 30fps and somebody hacked the ps2 rom to run @ 60fps with zero issues. I think unless it requires complete redevelopment that remasters should be 60hz. Agreed they need to be careful that the increase doesn't ruin the feel of game etc (apart from the obvious improvements in the input lag)

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Displaying at 60FPS and rendering internally at 60FPS aren't always the same thing. You can hack an emulator to spit out 2 frames for everyone 1 calculated internally, but that doesn't make the game true 60FPS. You're just frame-doubling.

Beyond that, there are *a lot* of emulators that do genuinely play old games at higher framerates, and things sometimes get very broken internally. Sometimes there are game-breaking bugs that only appear in a very specific place within the game (might be a something boring like a cut scene, might be something important like a puzzle or jumping sequence that prevents all progress), and they don't show up in a few minutes of early play, but get caught by QA much later in the dev cycle. That happens less in more modern emulators (say, WiiU emulators), but the PS2 was a bit of a bastard child (not only between eras of development style, but with one hell of a whacky processor) and some Japanese game devs in particular were well known for doing very weird, very hardware-specific things on it.

I'm certainly not insisting that every capped game is done for good reason - there are plenty of examples where it just fell to "couldn't be fucked" factor. But at the same time, you and I don't know the inside story of how these things are made, or the nuances of every proprietary game engine on the planet. Speculating on it is just a road to madness.

As I said to you in the other thread, pick your battles. There are some games that are genuinely unaffected by framerate, and some where it's critical. Be fussy when it counts, but don't miss out on good games due to dogma when it's not an issue.

5. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I know, just couldn't resist.

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. AERO

AERO Member

played a few games tonight, got ot level 9, was fun apart from a few trolls deliberately boxing me in with bricks non stop, seen people modify buildings etc.. really not sure how to do all that stuff, would take skill. did manage 6 kills in my last game :) just land behind enemy lines and come from behind haha, got a double kill with my lmg last game. was funny because i dont think they expected it. certainly had a few average games, or not realizing where the circle is and being the opposite side of the map lol. anyway its fun and im sure ill play it more as a time filler or if my mat ewill play with me on his ps4

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. RnR

RnR Member

Season 5 is coming... and Epic has been busy tying in the rifts that have spawned around the map making certain things disappear to season 5... where do these things go? One possible answer...

8. AERO

AERO Member

stupid fortnite, been enjoying it a bit too much haha, oly doing 50v50 but level 25 already tier 12 or so, new season in 3 days, might get a pass

9. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

It gets a bit that way, can't wait for new season!

10. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Just got my first Victory Royale. The old hide and wait strategy is a winner once again.

Even managed it with a bolt action sniper headshot..... and it was a blue bolt action :lol:

RnR likes this.
  11. RnR

RnR Member

Some skins for the next season has been leaked...

[​IMG]

12. japes

japes Member

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

14. summoner

summoner Member

Installed and had a bit of a play around a few times..

Not sure I get this whole building shenanigans middle of a gun fight.. not really my thing but I see why others like it.

15. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

One of my friends has had some pretty bad lag on occasion. I have had maybe 1 or 2 sudden drops, but nothing that bad.

The building bit annoys the shit out of me lol. It's partially because I'm not good at it, and partially because a win sometimes relies purely on your building ability.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Apparently my nephew is a real gun at this game. Personally I've seen him play and I really don't get the attraction of the game. Looks a bit meh to me.

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

It resonates with the young and the desire to get cool gear and show off. And any BR game is quite satisfying to win, best out of 100 is pretty cool. It's even more satisfying when they are rare. Is people with dozens of hours of Pubg with no dinners, prob the same on fortnite.

18. PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

I play on NAW servers every weekend (with friends from Canada) and never experience lag THAT bad. There are glitches/lag maybe once every 4-5 games but only for a moment. Nothing like that when playing Solo OCE Servers either. Actually, I often get more lag playing on OCE servers.

19. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

The only time I have experienced lag on FN is when steam decided its time to update games - super odd I figured 100mbit would be enough connection to share but I guess not.

The attraction for me was it was different enough to PUBG that I could continue playing a BR game without feeling burned out.

20. PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

I'm the same. I'm enjoying it for the moment. Its a solid enough change from PUBG and realistically has much less bugs, which was the reason for my switch. I'm probablyu going to try out Islands of Nyne to mix it up during the week and then Fortnite with friends on weekends.

I'm finally starting to get a hang of the building factor in fights (at least to the point that I build walls/ramps quickly when fighting). I am now starting to work on editing and building faster. Shooting is easy enough in this game and bringing some skills across from PUBG has an advantage over people who have only ever played FN.