1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fortnite

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Jul 13, 2012.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Ahh ok and yeah the RNG spread has consistently been an issue. When the dice roll against you... feels bad.

A first person view might not work so well when you are building. To be honest, as an old time UT'er it didn't take me long to get used to it. But I am also not playing any other 1st person view games atm.

2. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

I do run on game mode, yes, and the TV is a Hisense 75N7 which, from my research has input lag of around 28ms in Game mode with HDR. Not bad for a TV, not the best, but there is much worse.

I'm an old PC gamer so I can definitely feel the extra input lag of both the console and TV.
    That and 30fps remind me I am playing on a less capable platform.
    Still, I have so much fun playing Fortnite, and am much less competitive now in my mid-40s, that the frustrations are quickly brushed aside.

That said, the old PC gamer in me drools at the thought of Fornite at 100+ FPS Gsync/Freesync with little to no input lag.
    I think I'd probably get destroyed on the PC servers though and wouldn't be able to crossplay with my also Fortnite addicted wife so I will likely end up getting another X1X instead. Kind of a bummer.

walker_2003 likes this.
  3. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

Same here.
    Man UT was my glory days in gaming, I lived that game.
    What was your name?
    I was either devolutionary or MillaKilla and was part of .d2 clan.
    lol thats the first time I've thought of that clan in many years.

I also played Unreal before UT.

4. RnR

RnR Member

Unlikely... loads of bad players around :) I play regularly with my mate and his two sons... 7 and 11 in ages. They get kills despite the youngest still rocking a controller on the PC. The kids grew up with consoles, and its only recently the oldest has made the move to mouse + keyboard :D

RnR :D - but I was mainly active in ut2k4 Onslaught mode. I joined up with TOG back in the day and they had a pretty active crew for the game. UT3 kinda killed the scene though... or maybe it was the cod and bf sequels and now the battle royale genre that has killed the arena shooter.

Cliff Bleszinski's Lawbreakers is apparently dead.

devolutionary likes this.
  5. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

Ohh that's good to know. As a console user now I've grown intimidated by the PC Master Race. :D
    It really sucks Xbox doesn't have PC crossplay when PS4 does. Very lame of MS.
    I really miss the accuracy of m+kb, my thumb is learning disabled.

Yeah by UT2k4 I was outta the scene and fully into CS.
    I never even played UT3, I don't think.

I really dig the open world battle royale genre, it's quite amazing compared to the tiny maps of Unreal and UT days.

I saw that, shame. One of the first things I did when I saw Epic was behind Fortnite was to google Cliffy B to see if he was still at Epic and found a middle aged man (like me wtf happened lol) named Cliff Bleszinki. :D

RnR likes this.
  6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

ah nice, the hisense arent bad I got the M7000 70", not quite as good.. no good for gaming feels like 35ms or so.

Not all hope is lost.. is some TV's with as low as 12ms input lag like the LG 65UJ7700 (gaming pc monitors have at best like 9ms or so)

I would love a TCL 55P607 is rumors one retailer is bringing them to Australia, epic budget 4K HDR gaming TV

Its a shame fortnite on XB1X doesnt run @ 60fps, cant see why not.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  7. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

Thanks for the model numbers, I am going to be buying a second display in the next few months and am considering all options including a larger monitor.

Epic are introducing a 60fps mode in the near future that will adjust settings as needed for each console level to achieve that frame rate. Hopefully the X1X doesn't lose too much eye candy because I really, really enjoy the look and colours of the game.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

8. Poondizzler

Poondizzler Member

Building can be a big part of winning, but its not overly difficult... its just a matter of configuring your keys thats best for you.

Performance wise, it shits all over PUBG. Granted it's not trying to be as realistic looking as PUBG but it runs really smooth all the time. Both games run on the UE4 engine, just Epic are a better dev team imo.

And yeah, had the game since it went into early access, and while the PVE content is fun, it can also get a fairly repetitive and really grindy late game... but it's fun with a couple of mates for a few rounds.

walker_2003 likes this.
  9. Poondizzler

Poondizzler Member

There should be an option in the pause menu for consoles saying "uncapped framerate" you want to switch that to ON and you're good to go.

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

No worries, for gaming TV's look at these two links and go from there :)

https://displaylag.com/display-database/ (just filter for 2017 4k TV's)
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

I soooo badly want LG B7A it has same panel as the higher range ones, only diff is build of TV and sound.. apparently gets some burn in here n there but u can run something to fix it.. I never game longer then 2 hours at a time so wouldnt be too bad.

It was 1.8k @ xmas time on sale for 55", usually around 2.5k

does 4:4:4 chroma so would make an epic PC monitor too and will do 1080p @ 120hz if 4k is too much for a certain game.

Another 1 to keep eye out for is new TCL to replace the P607

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...l-roku-4k-tv-6-5-series-dolby-vision-ces-2018

Cheers, might grab it.. tis free afterall!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  11. RnR

RnR Member

Had some ping spikes tonight in br... up to 300ms, but then back down 60-70ms. Never experienced this before. I noticed when I was briefly in pve that others where experiencing it as well.

Walker - I'm RnR ingame if you feel like duo's or squading. On most nights from 8pm for a few rounds.

walker_2003 likes this.
  12. RnR

RnR Member

13. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Decided to check this out last night. Played 2 rounds. First round was dead in 30 seconds. Watched a beginners guide video on youtube, second round I lasted 3 minutes. Didn't have time to play a third game, but the game definitely seems easy to play/enjoy, hard to master/conquer.

Anyone else have any issues where the graphics settings aren't changed correctly? The game looked really muddy and poor quality for me, despite the auto-detect setting everything to Epic (running a GTX 1070).

14. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  15. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

I am pumped about this update.
    60fps and turbo building mode for consoles.
    Building on PC with direct binds is so much faster & easier, console users have been clamoring for ability to build a bit quicker.
    Also the John Wick skin, I mean comon', that's bad ass, can't wait to see a John Wick running at me firing that hand cannon. :D

16. RnR

RnR Member

17. Boneman

Boneman Member

Tried for the first time tonight. Seems like a lot of fun, just this building stuff is doing my head in.

18. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

It took me a while to get my head around building mechanics too. The more you do it the faster you start to get at it. Something that really helped me was to rebind the building keys. Cause ramps and walls have to be put up in the blink of an eye so it's better to have them on your mouse or as close to your cursors as possible. On my keyboard I couldn't get used to the gap for the default F# keys.

19. Boneman

Boneman Member

Yea Im slowly understanding the system, guess Im used to shooting without thinking too much. I have to rebind all my keys for every game as a lefty anyways, but might be a good idea to stick the main two hotkeys on the mouse. (good excuse to buy a new mouse too)

20. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

If it was on steam I'd waste whatever steam balance I have from selling cs skins, doesn't seem much point spending money on it tho.

Edit: Watching a mate get cheated lol, surprising considering this isn't even a heavily skill based competitive game.... Scumbags just take any chance they get to be pieces of trash.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018