1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

FOSS 4k Video editor: Kden Live or Olive?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Crewcut, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

Hi all,
    As we'll have an iphone with 4k soon I can't use Da Vinci Resolve for those 4k family movies I'll probably make (even though my TV can't even show that 4k goodness yet - there's nothing like being forward compatible hey?)

[EDIT TO ADD] I've just realised Kden Live doesn't work on Mac! I'll be heading into Linux in a year or so but still want to use my iMac for a year or so.

Olive it is.

As I don't seem to be able to delete this thread - could the moderators change the title to "Your favourite youtube tutorials on Olive editor?" or something like it? It looks like I'm going with Olive just because I need to get another year out of my iMac.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Athiril

Athiril Member

Why can’t you use Davinci Resolve for 4k?

3. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

Because it's paid.

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Blender?

5. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

Hmm, interesting. Is Blender easy to use as a video editor? I once tried to get into 3d animation but didn't have the commitment or vision for what I wanted to do... so Blender was in my 'Yuck, too hard' basket while Olive looks a bit like iMovie which I'm used to. This has some interesting comments to make on Blender Vs DaVinci for Linux users (which I'm moving to in July 2021 for various reasons. Got to get all those family movies out of iMovie and finished so we can enjoy them!)

I like the look of Olive better - but this video makes the point that having a good online community can really help as well - and the Blender community is huge. Olive only has a Reddit and it's a little lackluster in support.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

blender has a steeper learning curve... assumption as not used anything else to edit videos but it took me ages so I assume others are dumbass as myself ;)

Once I learned how proxy files worked editing 4k video on a W520 laptop became a possibility without lag, IMO this the first thing you should learn after the basics and you wil never want to switch software.

7. Hater

Hater Member

What's wrong with iMovie?

And Resolve Free does 4K Ultra which is what the TV will display at anyway?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  8. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

I love iMovie - but I'm tired of Apple's expensive hardware. I'm becoming a Linux idealist and FOSS looney. ;-)
    My iMac 2011 reaches end of life this year, and I reckon I could get another 4 or 5 years out of it if I switch to Linux Mint.
    Also, my wife's new iphone (coming soon) will have true 4k recording, so I want to future proof all my stuff.

But the one area where Open Source can drive me nuts is their diversity - they really need to amalgamate a few like-minded projects and concentrate their coding hours into those! FOSS now have something like 9 big projects - Shotcut, Openshot, KDEN, Blender, Flowblade, Cinelerra, Vidcutter and of course Olive.

I heard KDEN is bloated because it runs on MLT (whatever that is!) and that Olive is being developed faster than KDEN... then of course, KDEN doesn't work on a mac which is where I want to test a lot of this stuff before I jump to Linux Mint. Oh well, first world problems hey?

9. Hater

Hater Member

So just edit the iPhone movies on the phone using iMovie

10. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

Wow - on the phone? Isn't that hard?
    Wow I'll have to look at that - thanks! It's my wife's iphone, but she'd gladly loan it to me on the weekend to do that. Another option! That's great.

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

Its free?

12. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

Not the true 4k function - that's paid.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

UHD is 4K, it’s a matter of aspect ratio, it’s 16:9, DCI has a slightly wider aspect ratio and is 4096 pixels across vs 3840, the difference is so small it’s not worth considering.

Your iPhone also shoots in UHD 4K and not DCI either.

You’re not getting 4096 pixels unless you add black bars to the sides of your image, and your TV won’t play without letterboxing the top and bottom of the image unless it’s 1.9:1 ratio rather than 16:9.

Is that really worth giving up Davinci Resolve for some janky ass software for?

14. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

Ah, so it can do what my iphone can do anyway? Cool - thanks for that.

I hear you! All good points.

Hey, while I have you all - I have a bunch of annoyingly small clips that I need to edit out the awkward bits into maybe 5 minute chunks that I'll mix and match for future family videos on certain themes.

Do you know what the best way to do lossless exporting of tidied up source clips? I need to edit out awkward stuff, make it nice and tidy and ready for possible multiple future projects.

15. Athiril

Athiril Member

I know AviDemux can do that, it lets you set in and out points, and will let you do it with "copy" in the video and audio codecs so it doesnt recompress. I just tried and it looks like it works if you use the next/back frame buttons, but it doesnt seem to work when using the slide to to set the time position for some reason.