Found a wallet.dat from 2013

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by mr_mordred2095, Oct 17, 2017.

1. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

Not sure if it's bitcoin or litecoin, or even how much is in it, but hey!

Any easy ways to check without waiting 2 weeks to download litecoin blockchain? Tried electrum and bitpay, neither could read the file

2. slavewone

slavewone Member

I've got an updated clam client here. I'm happy to withdraw all the clams you have in it.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

4. OP
    OP
    mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

you don't deserve the coins

BurningFeetMan, Hive and dipsal like this.
  6. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Because this is the wild west of finance? It's still SUPER early days. people keep forgetting that the marketcap of Bitcoin is still only 10% of Google/Apple... The biggest player in crypto.

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Send it to me then and i'll take care of it and split it 50/50 for you if you are going to delete it.....

8. NuZo

NuZo Member

Play the "guess a number" game on here if you don't want it - Give it to the winner!

Otherwise it's not overly difficult to find out. Getting a linux VM up and running is a 10-15minute affair if you're sus about anything.

Cheers,

Nuzo

9. Gallium

Gallium Member

Syncing to the blockchain is the safest way using the original client (latest version). Make sure your virus and malware protection is up to date and let it run for a day or so. Shouldn't take too long to sync if you have a reasonable connection.

10. douver

douver Member

can do this, you need bitcoin qt, but don't need to sync the blockchain

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transferring_coins_from_Bitcoin-Qt_to_Electrum

Although thinking now from memory, if you put the wallet.dat in the correct appdata directory for the QT wallet it will show you the public key contained even before it syncs and you could enter that in an online block explorer to check the balance. So that might be the easiest.

11. Mikos

Mikos Member

Pythons not that hard to run,

- install https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2713/
    - download https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet/master/pywallet.py
    - open command line / bash, cd to wherever your pywallet.py is, and run your command (python pywallet.py --dumpwallet --wallet=/foo/bar/wallet.dat)

Good luck!

12. fishbizkit

fishbizkit Member

So what was in it OP?

13. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I will literally learn how to do it over a matter of months if it means getting a sniff at 1 BTC.

14. Knobi

Knobi Member

any updates?

kipjib likes this.
  15. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

OP any idea what type of coin, a wallet.dat on it's own might be hard to identify. If it's definitely got BTC or LTC in it then use Multibit Classic or Litecoin core respectively and just sync the blockchain. It only took me a couple of days.

I recently managed to find an old multibit wallet - amongst about 16 crypto folders I had backed up - with 0.25 BTC in it along with 46,000 DOGE so far. Unfortunately all I see in my old DARK (DASH) coin wallet is a transfer out of 8 :( Nothing much of note, I'm currently wasting power syncing Piggycoin and Hobonickels blockchains for whatever miniscule balance I have there...

Worth it if you even find a small % of BTC given it's current value.

16. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

I'm just sinking a wallet now from 4 months ago. Wish me luck.

NuZo likes this.
  17. Mikos

Mikos Member

Not sure it will do much use at the bottom of the ocean ;)

18. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

LOL spelling errors aside, how'd you go OP - and 605jimmy of course. I finally got my first $1000 into my bank account via Living Room of Satoshi - they do take the FULL 3 business days to deposit. Phew, wasn't sure, it's still such a wild west out there for cryptocurrencies you never know who's going to fold tomorrow and take your BTC with them... In the time it took me to organise my wallet, do some research, wait for verification from 2 exchanges BTC went up another 5-6% during that time so that was nice :)

Found a few hundred worth of DOGE coin too in a wallet so I sent that via LRoS as well. Hoping for a nice 5k+ bonus in the bank account just before Christmas day :thumbup:

19. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

Haha. Just noticed that. I do know how to spell "syncing" though. Brain fart.

No luck with the wallet, nothing in there.

I have invested $5k in bitcoin, ethereum and litecoin. Will probably put another $5K this month and leave it at that. Spread is 70/15/15% across the three.

MonoJoker likes this.
  20. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Brave! What's your target price to cash out or is it a long term hold? I'm bearish on BTC as I just can't see the application of it becoming mainstream. There's certainly a lot of blockchain technology that looks like it could prove useful for banks and other financial institutions so who knows...