1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Foxtel pricing + other Foxtel discussion

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Stooge007, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Working completely fine here.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

the_antipop likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With iQ5 coming along soon, looks like the iQ4 boxes will get an upgrade and be able to stream over the net :thumbup:

Can't see why they wouldn't do it anyways, you can already stream On Demand content anyways.

https://www.watoday.com.au/business...foxtel-finds-its-footing-20210827-p58mmi.html

5. nico6

nico6 Member

I'd stick with satellite for live TV, especially sport, as the likes of Foxtel and Kayo streams of the same live event typically trail satellite by about 20 seconds

MR CHILLED likes this.
  6. Skramit

Skramit Member

Not to mention...

[​IMG]

7. nico6

nico6 Member

Yeah, there is that. But I must say, having side-loaded Foxtel Go Android TV app on my Amazon Fire TV Stick, it does that a whole lot less than the Intel Compute Stick running Go in a browser

8. Skramit

Skramit Member

The issue is just HFC NBN congestion in my area. In peak times during this lockdown, bandwidth is defs an issue regardless of ISP. The HFC cable delivering the NBN is clearly crapping itself in my street/area.

Buffering screens when theres a live event..... yikes! I'll take the risk of a massive thunderstorm interrupting the satelite over the NBN congestion.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think mine does the same at times. Satellite never craps itself, yet on the Go app I get pauses, freezing and dropouts where browser tabs needs to be restarted again. I think it's gotten worse in recent times.

10. nico6

nico6 Member

Try an Amazon Fire TV Lite, and if it doesn't perform 100% better than your Intel Compute Stick for Foxtel Go, I'll buy it off you :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

:lol: Interesting. What difference will that make? I used to run compute sticks, they were ok but had some nuances I got a little tired of so sold them in the end. Now I just run it through the main pc. What will the Fire TV device change?

12. nico6

nico6 Member

I can only compare it directly to the compute stick and the Foxtel Go buffering disappeared overnight. No change to my home network setup or internet service. I can't explain it, but I'm not complaining, especially as the interface is far more media/app friendly than a compute stick running Win10

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

After 20 years I wanted to get rid of Foxtel but am now on the basic package with an IQ4 to keep the wife happy. I used to HDMI and IR extenders for multiroom playback but that's not an option now in my new house.

Does Foxtel provide a free streaming app with the same functionality as an IQ4 box minus obviously the recording?

I can't seem to find an answer that doesn't make me pay again for a streaming option.

14. Skramit

Skramit Member

Well, theres the 'multi room app' if you have a recentish smart TV, you can add on to your package. It basically gives your TV native streaming foxtel capability but without recording obviously. It's not bad Ive used it duriung the free trials during lockdown. Check as you may still have it available as a trial if your state is in lockdown.

In my experience, threatenting to cancel foxtel with the retention team, they tend to throw around offers of 'free multscreen'..... so maybe try that too.

upload_2021-9-14_17-23-52.png

Foxtel Now is about your only streaming option. Maybe give the trial a go.... (use your wifes name so you can access the trial)

upload_2021-9-14_17-19-50.png

15. nico6

nico6 Member

Multiscreen is currently free during lockdowns, in VIC anyway. Was going to be free until the end of August, but it's still going... As is lockdown of course so maybe they'll make a call on it later.

If you are in lockdown without this offer, call them and ask for it on your account.

I think this freebie has worked on me, as I might just add it to keep using the other lounge for Foxtel (mainly Sport but some other channels too). Then again, might hold off until next AFL season

16. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

Thanks for the replies. I just really dislike that they make you pay for an app on top of your monthly box subscription. I'll try ring them up and see what I can get but we've been lucky here in Brisbane avoiding long lockdowns.

17. Skramit

Skramit Member

Definitely try the old, “it’s getting too expensive for us” line and see. My experience is they always come to the party with freebies when you ask to cancel.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

19. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

^^ Just got the email too.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They send out an email? I never get anything from them at all. I'm Foxtel through Telstra so maybe something to do with that, or I've turned off all marketing emails /shrug.