1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Foxtel pricing + other Foxtel discussion

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Stooge007, Oct 4, 2011.

1. uberstooge

uberstooge Member

i think i got shafted. i got the same deal as before

All platinum channels minus movies.

I didn't want the current promotion which was "Get started" + Sports plus the other outlets. I wanted it but got shut down by the boss because of no E channel was included. Basically over the phone I was convinced since i got a good deal last time round and it would be more expensive to go the current promotion route and add all the extra boxes.
    I was convinced over the phone but now think i got a dud deal.

Was on:
    1x IQ2
    2x IQ1
    = $118+2 (price increase)
    = $120

I added an extra box.
    What I got:
    1x IQ2
    2x IQ1
    1x Standard box
    $120+15=
    $135

No contract
    Free install with new box.

Free install which pretty much sold me, was told was worth $100. I figured it cost that much for someone to come to your house and do anything so I guessed at the time it was a good deal.

What I what now.......... at least the new box to be upgraded to IQ1 free of charge??? seem reasonable ??????? maybe Free upgrade to HD Sports for 6 months ???? asking too much ?
    since there was no contract I didnt push for much.

what do you guys think?

Thinking back to the last time I negotiated an extended contract I got a much better better deal, though I did agree to extend the contract by 12 months. This time not much in terms of savings or gains.
    Maybe I should have pushed for more.? the only think I really gained was the lack of contract.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Smashcrab

Smashcrab Member

3x IQ2 HD all channels
    $183/month :thumbdn:

Been meaning to cancel it for over six months and been a Foxtel customer for almost 7 years now.
    The price is ridiculous, I don't care how many channels its got I never really watch TV myself and for that sort of $$ I can buy the movie I want to watch or go to the sports event and watch them live...

I know that after I cancel I will get call offering the service for a lot less, as has been mentioned in the earlier pages of this thread.
    I had a cousin who was pestered by Foxtel for about two weeks when he cancelled his service. Ended up offering him it for free for 3 months so he took it, then after the three months they wanted $$$ so he bailed.

Damn Foxtel and their overpriced advertising service :thumbdn:

3. FFC

FFC Member

Well you didn't get a discount....and they are getting more money out of you per month....you do the maths?

4 boxes seems a little extreme...do you seriously watch it on 4x tv's at once?

4. aurotaro

aurotaro Member

Only reason I have foxtel is for the EPL games and cricket, so basically the sports pack.

Been a customer for about 8 years now. $59 a month, basic package + sports in SD.

Don't think they'll give me anything unless I ask for upgrades to IQ etc.

5. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

you should be able to talk them down to at least $50, that's what they're offering new customers at the moment

http://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/get-foxtel/default.htm

6. ilsan

ilsan Member

I have everything except movies inc IQ SD for $45 a month.

Cancel it and they will offer.

7. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

What price do you guys think I can ask them for with my package, been a customer for 10 years now.

Platinum HD Package
    2 x IQ2 HD boxes
    2 x IQ boxes

Paying $185/month :weirdo:

8. aurotaro

aurotaro Member

Wtf... that's just awesome. Explain on how you did it? First cancel it and go through the procedure. And then they call you back offering you a better deal? Any reason why your deal is so awesome? :D

I'm just scared that I'll cancel it and they'll end up saying ok and I lose EPL for a season :D

Damn, should have done this during the offseason.

Thanks I'll have a look at that tonight.

9. SiX101

SiX101 Member

Was on the Plat IQ with 2 boxes (2 movies a month), just finished the contract and re-negotiated 1 Plat IQ box for 3 months at $60p/m.

Will disconnect shortly, I can't get HD channels because I'm on satellite. Even free to air is HD so Foxtel have some catching up to do in my book.

Its not cool watching SD on a 52" TV.

10. Guardian452

Guardian452 Member

In my experience your first call to Foxtel will not get you a better deal. Its the callback from cancellations/retention that will offer you the discount. It seems that they make an initial discount offer, but may be able to go lower if you play for it.

11. ilsan

ilsan Member

Cheers, I have been on the offer for about 2 years now. Basically I was paying top dollar for 4 years on platinum package. Got sick of paying $$ for freaking reruns, called them to cancel it.

They accept the cancellation, book the date to pick up (normal procedure). Bear in mind they will try to give you something at front but just refuse anything unless you reach your goal (mine was to cancel the damn thing).

2 days later the guy from cancellation calls, normal blah blah (not worth it, sick of reruns blah blah :lol:)

Then comes the negotiating part.. He asked me what I watch etc.. I told him everything except movies.

He asked how much did he think it was worth... I told him $20 (Everything exceot movies is $90 + IQ SD) a month seems fair... He laughs... I dont :D

He gives is to me for $70.. I refuse.. We bring it down to $45 a month including IQ. I reluctantly agree

He tell me offer valid only for 6 months...

I call back 5 months later to cancel it again...

Go back to start of post... :thumbup: :tongue::tongue:

12. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hot tip, there's a "special deal" they can put you on, where you just keep the IQ box as a PVR and only charge you $10/m, so you could do that during the offseason, then reconnect to basic + sports during EPL season ;)

i'm on satellite and have all HD channels (except One HD, which only comes through cable)

13. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

I have been looking at foxtel under $50.
    The current "basic plus 1" deal for $50 tempted me... But really I'd need atleast "plus 2" to make me pull the trigger.

Has anyone had any success in getting this sort of deal straight off the bat?

Cheers

14. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

not that i've heard of

worth a call to them though, if they say no, you're no worse off

15. FFC

FFC Member

They have a $55 for 6 month special at the moment if you are referred by someone with foxtel. I think it is basic +2

16. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

So guys, how on earth does one actually cancel the service? I've tried but with no real luck - they just won't take no for an answer. They gave me a deal - they moved the foxtel port between rooms and gave us an IQ2 as part of the package but now it's gone expensive again and I just can't justify the cost anymore.

At all.

The last time I tried to cancel, they kept telling me they'll get someone to call me back and they never do.

17. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

typical sales tactics (reminds me of gym memberships!)

i'd probably write them an email, so you have written evidence of the cancellation request, then you can take things further if nobody calls you back

18. FFC

FFC Member

Just do not put down the phone. Email them like Stooge has said while you are on the phone with them.

19. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

I dont have foxtel but if you are only speaking to the low level rep that initially answers the phone then thats 99% of your problem.

Ask to speak to the supervisor if they tell you someone will call you back. Dont take no for an answer. I had to deal with Telstra last week to get my internet connected. I was told there would be no tech going to the exchange that day (the day it was meant to be connected) and i would have to wait a week. I had to raise my voice and i spoke to a supervisor but there was a tech organising my connection that afternoon.

Dont accept anything they say until you get the outcome you want. If they still dont play ball you may need to threaten to take the matter to consumer affairs or whoever takes care of that area.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  20. kizzav

kizzav Member

Does/has anyone here have/had Setanta? Your views... is it worth it?