1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Foxtel pricing + other Foxtel discussion

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Stooge007, Oct 4, 2011.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Direct offered me nothing, I might drop to minimum and see how jt goes.

2. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

FWIW: I had the $0 install, $25 platinum first month, no contract offer and cancelled after one month (it was great having Foxtel over Christmas for all of our visitors!).

Anyway, Called to cancel, and the lady did some light retention attempts ('Stay, you can put it on hold for three months until your sports start').

I genuinely didn't want it anymore, so went ahead with the cancellation. The next day, a local guy called me back and started offering more ('Stay, we will give you the three month hold for free, then offer HD sports for $50 a month').

Again, wasn't interested. The day after, there was another attempt with the same offer. declined.

The day of (or the day before?) termination, yet another call, offering 3 months basic for free, then $50 HD sports.

I think Foxtel are aware that:
    a) People are trying to do the cancellation request dance. They didnt seem keen to offer me much initially, but slowly got more desperate.
    b) They consider this time of the year offpeak for local sports fans (their main audience). I think they are more willing to offer deals now before AFL/NRL has started up again (but not any 6+ months deals that will run into footy season. Just something long enough to get you there).
    c) They (random call centre people) are very worried about the loss of EPL. I think they have heard that a lot from customers. Will be interesting to see if the message flows up and they start a massive retention program when they lose the rights.

3. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I moved into this house about 18 years ago and we had no FTA reception at all, at that time we chose to go with Foxtel so not only did it fix that side of things but we got the whole cable package as well. With EPL going, and now Telstra TV is available to us, I am thinking we might just can the foxtel altogether.

Besides, originally one of the best things about cable was NO ADS but now there are heaps, its the biggest ripoff I think.

How will you guys watch EPL now?

Where do I watch A-league without Foxtel?

:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

What's EPL?

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

6. nico6

nico6 Member

It's like Down East Dickering.

7. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

They are still 20 years behind, they refuse to make smart business decisions because they still think people have no other choice.

They will retain a lot more customers and bring in new customers (and make more money) when they finally do what everyone is crying out for, let people build there own packages rather than this narrow sighted must have basic package that no one wants. I would take up foxtel if i could just have the sports package, but you know when you have dinosaurs making decisions.

8. kEv_

kEv_ Member

a huge :thumbup: to this, sport and a couple of doco channels is all i want, even if they had a base package and let you add individual channels, stuffed if i want to get 2 extra channel packs to have 2 more channels i want and 15 i dont...:rolleyes:

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

They seemed to be going in the "have what you want" direction and then they went back to the "you've got to pay for a whole heap of dreck PLUS what you really want.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

So, I ended up signing up for foxtel today because they are giving it away for free. 3mnths platinum HD, no contract, no connection fee, iq2 box (whatever that is) and foxtel go (whatever that is). Basically 3 months of foxtel for no money at all. Sounded ok.

11. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I don't understand why it's so hard to say "pick x channels for x $ per month". The more you pick, the less you pay per channel. Done.

Why do we need packages at all?

Why the fuck in this day and age do I need to buy shit TV I don't want, to get the 5 or 6 channels I do want?

Fuck Foxtel in the ear with a hammer strapped to a chair.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Because that's how the tv production companies sell it to the distributor. Foxtel could offer you the channels you do want, but the price would be the same.

13. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

What? That's not it at all. Foxtel knows what channels people want (mainly sport) so they put together cheap packages to get you in the door and then get the up sell to what you actually want.

Foxtel looked at breaking up the packages a few years ago to allow you to create, but marketing wanted to keep it the same as it was working at the time.

The next 12 months will most likely see a change

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh, ok. They pay exactly the same price for Game of Thrones as they do for re-runs of some ancient 1980s sitcom. I understand now.

15. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

That's not what I said nor is it what the rant you responded to, was about.

People want to pick and choose channels, but that is not possible due to the way foxtel wants to upsell - you made out is was to do with the distro.........

16. nico6

nico6 Member

Who would have thought that one day you could build your own Maccas burger? There is hope for Foxtel yet...

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh ok, I misunderstood. I thought that people wanted to pay less and only get what they wanted, not get what they wanted and pay the same price. My bad. :)

18. BBITS

BBITS Member

The bill annoyed me so called up and said "Cancellations"
    Friendly mention keywords like "Netflix", "Expensive" and "Content"
    12 months free Drama and Sport
    $25/month for 12 months is fine

19. The Brad

The Brad Member

Meh, SD, plus box rental...

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It annoys me no end. All I want is sport....I don't want anything else. Why can't I just have the sports channel(s).