REVIEW Fractal Design Node 804 Review - Includes complete rigid build

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by STUdog, Jan 18, 2015.

1. STUdog

STUdog Member

Hi Guys

I'm back again with a detailed review of the Fractal DesignNode 804 case. I really enjoyed working on this case. I really appreciate that Fractal have made this slightly bigger and bringing out the 804 version. I found plenty of room and working on this case was a breeze.

[​IMG]

I managed to fit in a full rigid watercooled loop, 8TB of storage (3 HDDs), plenty of extension cables and short/full height ram as well.

I would suggest with a cases like these is to plan your build out. Unlike full towers where you can throw whatever you like at them, this case does require some attention. Overall this case does have enough room but you still need to be careful with radiator sizes, VGA card lengths (if using front rad), and also the fact you can't use all the rad supports and HDD cages at once (which is understandable.

Here's a link to the video review

Here's some final shots of the build. Build time from start to finish was about 90 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

very nice work :)

I don't understand the metal tube monster at the front though? Its a rigid tube build, surely you only needed connectors on each block, not all the metal bends?

3. BigDave

BigDave Member

Same thoughts here, needs less BP snakes :D

looks ok though :thumbup:

4. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Weren't my words but yeah...... point of rigid missed.

5. OP
    OP
    STUdog

STUdog Member

Point was the case review. Build was pulled down 20min after the review for the next case review.

6. OP
    OP
    STUdog

STUdog Member

Paulie, I can't seem to find the rule book for rigid? You got it handy? :p

7. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Thanks for the review. Very well put together video. I liked it. Good looking little case, I have the R5 myself and like the quality.

Unfortunately, no thanks for your last comments. People were just commenting on what they thought about the metal spaghetti. There is nicer ways to explain why than that. Might want to reconsider or risk further flaming.

8. OP
    OP
    STUdog

STUdog Member

Dude it was a joke,

Are you 90 years old and not know what emoticons or lols are?

:p

9. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

All nice gear in there, but all nice gear with poor execution with clueless bling just diminishes the entire experience. See this type of customisation with cars, motorbikes all the time, people grab cool bits, slap it on with no consideration if the sum of the parts actually adds up to more then their individual appeal.

I would say Ratzz did something with a little more effort. This is what he came up with. Was a nice effort. And he wrote a lengthy review on what he liked and didn't like about the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CteY_7Zqmz0

10. BigDave

BigDave Member

I'm with Paulie, your review while good only seemed to cater for the water cooling family where as the non water coolers won't give it a look. It would make a good desktop case :thumbup:

As for the PM with a link to this thread I'm not sure what your trying to do there, Keep up the good work :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    STUdog

STUdog Member

Pm with a link to this thread? Huh?

Yea I understand it wasn't too in-depth but this wasn't for my personal system like his.

I simply can't do that for all my reviews. I'm also not basing my reviews to others and who's better. My review was aimed at watercooling as that's what I mainly do.

I feel if I do similar to this for all my up coming case reviews I'm still a step above most out there who just review an empty case and saying what goes where.

Also you need to be aware that video reviews always drag out far more than written reviews. His written review put in a video would have gone for 3 hours.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  12. OP
    OP
    STUdog

STUdog Member

Also the issue with videos are things get missed, as opposed to written reviews. Trying to keep them short helps but then things are missed on the item being reviewed. It also looks like people have missed where I went through the pros and cons of the case. I even write down while building the system the pros and cons of case and was actually reading eading off that at the end. Maybe no one here watch most of it :p

13. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Agreed, doing reviews on cases can take up a good chunk of time. I spent a good few days going through the R5 to come up with mine. The guys that do this for a living really have their hands full. Especially when it comes to a video review.

Guys like TTL, while on the face seems like he's all over the shop, really has to check things over well and put a lot of thought into where they are focusing on with the review. Like I said, I think you did a great job on your video. Well presented, and I did notice the rustle of notes when you got to the pros/cons.

I'm a water cooler myself, so the review does suit me, and like you, this is a good place where the market for cases like this are designed for. So no problem there. Different reviews for different cases for different markets. If it's a case aimed more to a air cooled market, that's what you discuss more, for water cooled, go all out like you did, that's the point.

My apologies if my comment came across as an attack, was merely just a constructive critisim as sometimes things come across in writing differently to how we think in our heads. It was more your first comment than the question to Paulie, I did take that as a joke. We are all just stating our views which hopefully you will take on board to improve for the future.

As I said, good review buddy, we all see how much you have on your plate, and doing builds and reviews like this shows the extra effort you go to.