Fractal Node 202 Build

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Glitchlol, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Been in love with this case for a long while, the thought of a very quiet, very small PC has tempted me enough, so it's time to build one! Budget is about 2k... I've already started ordering parts.

I'm thinking.. latest gen i7, 32gb ram, 1070/1080.. in a near silent ITX build.

Let's start planning some things out...

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($435.00 @ umart)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($195.00 @ umart)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (309.00 @ umart)

Storage: Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (129.00 @ umart)

Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($145.00 @ umart)

Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($109.00 @ umart)

Total: $1322.00

Sourced a couple of 120mm NoiseBlockers and a Scythe BIG Shuriken from aquatuning. I think it came to $90 but the order minimum of $150 made me add some spares to the cart :lol:.

Last decision is to pick a graphics card. Should I go with a Mini ITX 1070 and risk some noise or get a full sized 1070..?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. im late

im late Member

Why would you buy a 2.5" SATA SDD for your build when your chosen board has a M.2 PCIe x4 socket on the back of the board?

3. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Good question! To be totally honest, it's been about 8 years since I've read into anything hardware related. I thought the world stopped with sata 3! Thanks for pointing out that oversight, haha. I've been researching as I've been putting this together.

Purchased
    • Gigabyte N1070IXOC-8GD 8G GTX 1070 (Mini ITX) OC PCI-E VGA Card ($505.00 @ MSY)
    • Samsung 850 EVO MZ-N5E250BW 250G M.2. SSD Solid State Drive ($129.00 @ MSY)
    • Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($145.00 @ Scorptec)
    • Scythe Shuriken CPU cooler SCSK-1100 Rev.B Intel/AMD ($40 @ AquaTuning)
    • 2x Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PL-PS (120x120x25mm) ($45 pair @ AquaTuning)

Total Purchased: $864.00

To Buy (in order)
    1. Gigabyte H270N-WIFI Intel H270 S1151/2xDDR4/1xPCIEx16/HDMI/DVI/M.2/WiFi/BT/Mini-ITX Motherboard ($195.00 @ MSY)
    2. Kingston HyperX FURY HX424C15FBK2/16 16GB Kit (8Gx2) DDR4 2400 Desktop RAM ($179.00 @ MSY)
    3. Corsair RM550X (CP-9020090-AU) 550Watt 80Plus Gold Full Modular ATX Power Supply Unit ($155.00 @ MSY)
    4. Intel BX80677I77700 Core i7-7700 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1151 Kaby Lake Boxed CPU ($435.00 @ MSY)
    5. ** Corsair CWCH60-SE H60-SE Universal Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.00 @ MSY)

Projected Total: $1,917.00

Concerns/changes so far...

AquaTuning at first glance appeared to be an Australian company and when I realised they were based in Germany, "DHL" shipping for $9 seemed pretty good. Then on looking into it further, it isn't the same as what we know DHL to be, so I'll be lucky to see that order arrive in 4-6 weeks. D'oh!

** On the plus side... I might actually be able to fit a Corsair H60 into the case according to this video.

He managed to get the H55 to fit alongside a Radeon r9 Fury Nano which measures (in inches) 5.98 x 4.4 x 1.65 whereas the 1070 ITX measures 5.2 x 6.7 x 1.5... I'm assuming the first number is card length... which would mean it'd fit fine!

Not sure if i7 7700 is overkill for what I'm going to be using the computer for - I think the smart thing to do would be to drop down to an i5 (or even an i3) and look at upgrading my monitor...

Also figured 32GB was overkill, dropped down to a 2x8GB kit for now.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. im late

im late Member

You should have bought a PCIe NVME M.2 SSD. :)

Not a SATA M.2 SSD. <-- Same average speed as a regular 2.5" SSD (Around 500 MB/sec).

PCIe NVME M.2 SSD can read up to speeds of 3,500 MB/sec:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

It appears (according to the Gigabyte product page) that your chosen board supports both interfaces (not to be confused with form factor...aka M.2).

5. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

D'oh! It's ok, i don't think I'll be doing anything that'd see me make much use of those gains, having the hard drive sit behind the motherboard now means I can free up more space within the case by throwing out the cage used for the SSD. I think I needed the room there for the radiator anyway!

MSY are pretty good with their unopened returns, anyway. So I might go in and swap it when I get around to purchasing the rest (maybe this weekend).

6. Chrit

Chrit Member

I'm currently building a similar machine.
    Strix Z270I mITX motherboard arrived today.
    Awaiting my Dr Zaber Sentry case.

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Its a HTPC right? Might do double duty as a part time gamer I'm guessing?
    Cooling is a potential issue if you stick with i7. The Shurikens are good, but its a pretty small space, jammed with other shit and with fuck all ventilation really.

I'd go the i3 myself, save the extra bucks for a bigger M.2. Keep the Shuriken, forget the H60. Having worked on a lot of small builds, its just a pain in the arse making everything that 'can' fit actually do so. And, as I've mentioned below, I believe you would be far better off with a large SATA M.2 than a smaller NVME M.2.

I have a 950 Pro. It benches at around 2000 MB/sec if I recall correctly. Honestly, in real world use, I cannot tell the difference between it and a ordinary old 850 Evo SSD.. except the old Evo boots faster !!

If I were to buy again, I would choose a 1TB M.2 SATA instead.

For others of course, this may be different. The most demanding game I play is NFS, @ 1080P. My major for uses for my PC are media editing and CAD, plus a lot of time on a particular unnamed internet forum and the occasional FB slots :lol: I like to overclock, but benchmarking SSD's is not important to me, and for me, the only differences between SATA and NVME are that SATA boots faster (a few seconds doesn't matter much, but when you have rebooted a million times in a row with failed overclocks it starts to be more important) and NVME does really well in benchmarks.

I'd imagine loading game maps etc might be enhanced with the faster drive, but for me, fucked if I can tell the difference.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Looking forward to seeing what you do! Looks very similar.

It's actually replacing my current desktop setup, which is an alienware area 51, so it'll reclaim a lot of desk space! I play around with audio editing a fair bit and only really have a game of Overwatch once or twice a week.

That's why I started looking into an AIO water cooling option, there's totally room now that I've committed to a ITX sized 1070! It's not the K, so it shouldn't run that hot at stock?

Yeah, no doubt this build is going to be a pain in the arse regardless, so might as well have fun with it. Would I get cooler temps with the H60 over the Shuriken? Probably, but the reason I looked into it in the first place is that my AquaTuning order is going to take at least a month to get here and I just can't bring myself to whacking a stock cooler on there :(

I might look at bumping up to a 500GB M.2. SATA, but 1TB to me just seems excessive as I have a fair bit of storage on my NAS. If it was a laptop, wouldn't have an issue going for 1TB! For now, it's going to save a bit more space for better airflow.

Benefits of putting in the H60, I could fit another intake or two over the CPU vent. So i'll have a total of 2 or 3 120mm intakes and the H60 radiator/fan blowing out.

9. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Ok, MSY messaged me and said the only ITX 1070 they had left in stock is damaged, so they cancelled the order.

Just placed an order with Scorptech. Shame the OCAU discount doesn't work with them anymore and they've already shipped my case - so no weekend building.

Qty Product Price
    1x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC, 8GB $589.00
    1x Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD $189.00
    1x Corsair Hydro Series H60 Second Edition $89.00
    2x Fractal Design Silent Series R3 Case Fan 120mm $32.00
    1x Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI Motherboard $219.00
    1x G.Skill Aegis F4-2400C15S-16GIS 16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 $169.00
    1x Corsair RM550x 550W Power Supply $155.00
    1x Intel Core i7 7700 $435.00

TOtal of $1,905.16 - or $2,050.16 including the case.

Fingers crossed I didn't mess anything up.

10. im late

im late Member

Great choice on the Sammy EVO 960 (if 256Gb is enough for you). :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Scorptec are pretty awesome. Placed my order at lunch time, got a message 20 minutes later saying it was ready to pick up. Drove over there, told them that it's a shame my case was sent already as it was all I was needing to start building - turns out it was on the Startrack truck out back :lol:.

Should be putting things together tonight.

Haha, figured if MSY didn't want my money...

12. jfat

jfat Member

The 6.7inches is the card length, so it seems it is slightly longer than the nano...

Gigabyte website says these dimensions for the gpu:
    Card size H=37 L=169 W=131 mm

169mm = 6.65inches

Careful with trying to fit things that are already a tight fit! :p

GL!

(looks like you may be in the process of building anyway :) )

13. jfat

jfat Member

*dup post 10char

14. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

It was really tight :p

Pictures first: https://imgur.com/a/560D5

Bought the wrong PSU, so need to go back to scorptec tomorrow morning and see if I can swap it out for a compatible one. Was hoping for full modular, but I guess that isn't an option.

In a way, this build reminds me of my first car - the radiator is held on with zip ties :lol:.

Eh, hopefully it works when I turn it on tomorrow. As the H60 is compatible with AM4, I can always rip it out when my Shuriken gets here and use it in an AMD build.

15. im late

im late Member

Nice build! In reality that kink will restrict flow somewhat, whether it becomes an issue..only you will know once you see how well (or bad) your AIO cools.

Basically if your CPU is cooled to a level you are happy with then no need to change.

Personally I would not leave the kinks like that.

16. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Nicely done. How clean are the cut edges on the metal where the hoses pass through? Might be worth getting some black cloth tape and just fold it over those, in case they damage the hoses. I can't see in the photo, did you manage to get rid of the kink?

Impressed. :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  18. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

They're pretty smooth, I filed them down after sawing them. Next time I open up the case, I'll be sure to throw some tape over them though.

Kink sorted itself out when I readjusted everything :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Installed CAM, idle temps look pretty good and it's pretty much dead silent!

[​IMG]

Just finished copying over all my data, so going to get stuck into my first game of Overwatch.

20. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

So I've run into some overheating issues when playing games. The CPU has hit 80'c a couple of times. GPU is sitting stable at 60'c under load.

No kinks in the hose, so it's more than likely because there's very little space between the radiator/fan when the case is wedged on. I've put an order in for a couple of slim 15mm fans to replace the full sized ones that sit under the GPU and on the radiator. I'll see how that improves things.

If that fails to see temps drop, I'm thinking have two options...

I can abandon the water cooling route and get a slim fan under the GPU and a full sized 200CPM fan where the radiator is currently...

Or...

I can commit to getting the H60 to work by modding the case further. I'd dremel a cutout and install a grill above the radiator fan. It'd basically turn that section of the case into a pass through - in which the air would travel in through the existing vent, through the radiator/fan and back out of the case again.

I'm leaning towards the second option.