1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Fractal Torrent

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by micsway123, Jan 26, 2022.

1. micsway123

micsway123 Member

Anyone got one of these?

I’m interested just not sure it’s worth it if I’m planning to install a 240AIO on the front intake instead of the 2x18cm fans.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks. Never been a huge fan of Fractal for their relative blandness (imo) but this looks ok. Just those smudges though :Paranoid: Definitely going to need gloves. And watch those dangling cables with those fans at the botom.

Still waiting on a case to kick my Evolv :p

micsway123 likes this.
  3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I reckon the Meshify S2 is a better design and it's slightly cheaper.

I'd only consider the Torrent for a air cooler build. Using an AIO in one of these is going to be odd, because you're either replacing the big fans on the front (wasting the entire point of this design) or throwing the AIO in the bottom, which is never a good place.

micsway123 likes this.
  4. groovetek

groovetek Member

Waiting for 360mm AIOs to become a thing (2 x 180mm baby!). Wishful thinking.

micsway123 and macktheknife like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

think I might give this case a go and switch back to a tower cooler like the d15

Case $280 + $160 for cooler (chromax version)

need to tame my GPU and reckon this is the case to do it

6. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

Mini version anyone?

7. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

I like many elements of this case but, holy jeezus the local pricing!

It's gone down then, but only by $30. most retailers in oz had it at $299 from announcement.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  8. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

I’ve ordered the compact glass non RGB version. Assume these will only go up in price after the initial wave of demand. Having owned a fractal I believe they are worth it.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

$269 (with tempered glass /tint) I don't really think is really ridiculous tbh.

10. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So it appears GN gone back to regular viewing now instead of harassing newegg :leet:

micsway123 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

I've got the black non rgb compact on order from scropy, should be picking it up later today.

must say I'm not crazy about having a glass panel on the rear side, oddly the white version comes with a plain old steal cover yet cost the same...

GN review seems to put it near the top of the pile with direct sized competitors so it's exactly what I wanted, just hope that cable clearance does not become a problem for me as I use cable extensions and my PSU is not fully modular...

looking forward to shifting back to air cooling on the cpu again also, d15 is a beast!

13. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

Should be interesting

FB945484-7CEC-4BE4-A8BE-516E21144DFC.jpeg

14. Will S

Will S Member

Look GN and their reviews are wonky, yes if you are going to run standard but most of us end up throwing in better and more fans or even AIOs ( and some watercooling ) so I take their results with a pinch of salt.

Sometimes you fall for marketing and get the case and is a big letdown ( EVO for example ) but good luck and enjoy the build

micsway123 likes this.
  15. Camm

Camm Member

(EATX AIR - 6 x Noctua Edition) - Fractal Torrent + AMD 5950X + EVGA 3090 + ASUS Crosshair Extreme | OCAU Forums (overclockers.com.au)

All in all I don't think I'm a fan of this case (hasn't helped that the front panel USB has since died because the cables are jammed in and bent at right angles - but Fractal are sending me a new one). But this case has something that is really important to me personally, and that is bottom fans with adequate clearance for airflow. This is how you cool air cooler GPU's pulling 400w in 2022.

micsway123 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

same, I thought this to tame my gpu, the old define C just did not make the cut for my 3080 Ti even with 2x Noctua NF14's on front. Hopefully, the compact does not strike me on cable mgmt, concerning that even in the big boy you found it hard going.

17. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

Cable management a concern alright 7122F536-EAE0-43D2-BC19-FFF1AA04F51F.jpeg

macktheknife and Camm like this.
  18. Camm

Camm Member

Its not difficult if you give zero fucks / are okay with possibly a bulging side panel. It is an issue if you want it to look nice however. And I see you've encountered the dumbest fucking PSU bay in existence issue :p.

micsway123 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    micsway123

micsway123 Member

I don’t see why they can not make it a bit longer? Surely no one would buy this case for custom loop.

20. 151528

151528 Member

I don't get why for the price they're charging they can't add a PSU bracket that allows you the slide the PSU in from the back and screw it in place, would make working with that bay much easier.

I've been eyeing the compact case myself, keen to see some photos and temps once you've worked out how to get it all together :lol:

micsway123 likes this.