Free Linspire Until 06 Sep 2005

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Ambush, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ambush

Ambush Member

Freespire.

Simply:
    1. Click the “Get it Now” button
    2. Click on "Order" button for Linspire Five-0
    3. Click the "Buy Digital" button
    4. Click the "Apply Coupon" button in the shopping cart
    5. Enter "freespire" (without the quotes) and click the "Update" and "Continue" buttons
    6. Check out of the shopping cart
    7. Create a My.Linspire account
    8. Download the ISO

2. stmok

stmok Member

Would be good to show my friend about this...Any limitations one should be aware of from this promotion?

3. FrIdGe

FrIdGe Member

From what I have read it's uncrippled as far as the software goes, but you still don't have free access to their software repository thing. So it's basically the same as a normal linux distro, without apt-get/portage/or whatever they all use now.

4. stmok

stmok Member

Hmmm, I see.

Well, it doesn't matter anyway, I can't get through...All their servers are busy.

5. FrIdGe

FrIdGe Member

6. ecroF

ecroF Member

ITs also bene shipping free on CD with albatron mobo's for a while now. Its a prety tidy os, but yeah the software repository still needs to be paid for.

7. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

torrent has 1500 seeds, and 480 peers. it should fly.

8. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yea it went OK for me, but I had ~80MB that was "discarded". Worst I've ever seen.

9. billme

billme Member

Anyone have a HTTP link, I tried a few days ago, still haven't had time/been bothered to setup BT and now when I try to get on their HTTP servers again, they are too busy. I have been watching Linspire/Lindows (better name :) ) for quite some time, sign up to the email newsletters. Always a good read. Have used their Lindows Live CD to test out quite a few machines, still works great on my home machine as well which is a bonus since I will probably buy a new HDD, format my Windows drive and dual-boot with this for a while.

I thought I would need multiple accounts/versions but it seems there is no registration key to install this, (Oh how it would be great if everything was so simple!) so I have enough of them now, just need to download it already.

10. Zurlox

Zurlox Member

yeah a direct HTTP link of the iso would be good, queued up at 494 in line. BT is running too slow for my liking.

11. narcoleptic

narcoleptic Member

Ya sure? I had mine downloaded in less then 2 hours via BT

12. billme

billme Member

Heh I am @ 625 at the moment. The other day I was waiting from 628 down to 97 and then I got some random error, tried to refresh but had to restart line. So I gave up at that stage.

13. A.G.System

A.G.System Member

Just noticed this on their site.....

14. callan

callan Member

I've beenn trying for almost 2 goddam days.

If Mike Robertson wants to drive me into the willing arms of Microsoft, he's sure going the right way about it.

Callan

15. billme

billme Member

Are you trying to download the ISO or create an account? Once you have created an account/purchased the free Linspire that is all you need to do for now. At any given time (obviously when servers are not loaded so crazily as they are at the moment) you can login and download the latest version of programs you have purchased. So just download it in a weeks time if you are still trying.

16. OP
    OP
    Ambush

Ambush Member

You shameless hussy!

17. Julz

Julz Member

hows this compare to ubuntu? I like ubuntu, but i installed it and didnt really use it much in the end because im too used to windows and because i couldnt work out how to access my NTFS partitions for even just read access. The package updates are great in ubuntu tho i must say...

18. Iroquois

Iroquois Member

I got it via the torrent. Have not burned it yet, might try it out on my neighbour's PC.

I couldn't find a .md5 file anywhere? If anyone can find it, or do a check to see if your md5 matches mine, that would be great.

553c1511ed6e4bee8de40a8be6429b02 linspire_5.0.59.iso

19. FrIdGe

FrIdGe Member

That's exactly what mine came up with. Good to go!

I've just been running it in qemu and it looks good enough to replace a basic pc with, like for most purposes as in office, email, internet, etc. But it hides too much of the background for my liking. I'm afraid of what it would do if I tried to update the kernel for instance. It's like the fisher-price of operating systems :D

20. Iroquois

Iroquois Member

Thanks for that, appreciated. A bit odd that there's no obvious md5 file anywhere.