1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Free / Open Source photography software

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by elvis, Jan 19, 2016.

1. millsy

millsy Member

I really struggle with moving my photoshop workflow into gimp

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Again, try Krita. I've seen die hard photoshoppers fall in love with it.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Oh I shall :D I have been eyeing off a CC subscription for PS+Lightroom so anything else is a good alternative :)

Unfortunately when I did a course in multimedia in the past, it was very adobe heavy. Although it was good at teaching the workflow, it was focused on adobe a bit too much in the execution phase.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Specific to the industry/business I work for, Photoshop gets used as a painting and texturing tool more than a photo editing tool per se (mostly because we deal with moving images, not stills).

As such, The Foundry's Mari is now in much higher demand by our artists than Photoshop:

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/

Cost wise, it's insane. But it runs well on their very high end Linux workstations (standard spec currently is a high end i7 with 64GB RAM and either an Nvidia 970 or Quadro card).

But anyways, not much help for photography types. But I enjoy seeing Adobe's vice like grip on all media industries loosening a little every year, as I believe Adobe's been stagnant for too long, and the software industry can do a much better job of making better tools across many creative industries.

5. Ginantonix

Ginantonix New Member

I read some wonderfully positive reviews of Dark Table and watched some great tutorials online, so I downloaded a copy onto my MacBook Pro.

The problem I immediately encountered was that it could not detect my camera; notwithstanding the fact that they list Nikon D5200 as a supported camera. I did find a fix on-line but I am not a computer wizard and, after a couple of lines my eyes glazed over! In any case it seemed extremely clunky and would need to be repeated each time the camera is connected!

I'm finding it all incredibly frustrating: Apple's 'Photos' is hopeless - it acquires the images but does not put them in a file structure that is accessible by alternative post production software. I learned that I-Photo is not compatible with the latest OSX, so I can't use that. I liked the look of XnViewMP but, after I'd downloaded that, I discovered it has no means to acquire images from a camera!

I can't believe it. I switched to Apple from P.C. because - as everyone knows (ahem!) - Apple is far superior for photography! Now I'm beating my head against a brick wall trying to find software that will move images from my camera into an accessible file structure so that I can work on them!

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.:confused:

6. deepspring

deepspring Member

DarkTable isn't really stable enough IMHO. It's still very clunky.

You do realize you can copy the photos off the SD card in Finder, right?

With any luck you should see the SD card as "NIKON D5200" on the left column of the Finder window, click on it. Now copy the "100D5200" folder that is under "DCIM" somewhere safe or wherever you store your images. Next change the name of the "100D5200" that you copied to something meaningful. Bingo, you are done, just eject the SD card by clicking the little eject button next to the card in Finder.

[​IMG]

If all of that is too hard, I recommend Adobe Lightroom CC.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  7. lionman

lionman Member

Just use an SD card reader?

8. Ginantonix

Ginantonix New Member

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

I had attempted to get Dark Table to read the SD card but to no avail. The suggestion of using Finder is a great suggestion and one that I, being quite new to the OSX environment, had not considered.

Thank you again. Now I feel I can make some progress at last.:)

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Is it crashing for you? Our Mac users haven't reported any issues.

10. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Card reader + copy/paste.

11. Scootre

Scootre Member

I don't know... a few years ago, this would have been perfect. Now, for a couple of cups of coffee per month you get Photoshop and Lightroom. In fact if you call them and say "a friend if mine was offered the deal for $7.99 / month", they'll give it to you.

I'm paying a lot less for the full $49/month suite because I asked for a deal.

Lightroom has too much to offer if you're serious.

12. synic

synic Member

@ Elvis.

Just watched your review of Darktable 2.

Love it. Been looking for something like this for a while (the HowTo aspect).

I'd love to see you do a series of comprehensive HowTo's (especially for the Linux oriented users - I use Fedora). I know there are a lot of Linux HowTo's out there but the way you went over things highlighted how to use the features ... and that was very useful.

Do you have a Flickr?

ta.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

That wasn't me, that was someone else. I just linked to it. :)

I'd suggest contacting the author of that video direct.

FWIW, I'm not into photography at all. I work for a VFX company, and we use Darktable commercially for certain requirements we have (often dealing with site survey photos and environment lighting analysis when doing visual effects for TV and movies). I've recommended it to others who are photographers, and they've said it was useful. Sharing it here because I know OCAU has a large photography contingent, and not all of them can afford the ludicrous Adobe pricing.

14. synic

synic Member

LOL... I heard the author say they were in Melbourne and saw you're in BrisVegas and figured you had moved.

And yeah.. Photoshop is a ridiculous price. Not worth it when you have gimp and Darktable. IMHO....

Thanks for the post.

15. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

$10/mo for Lightroom & Photoshop is pretty reasonable if you ask me. That's less than the cost of Lightroom retail per year.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Dollar cost is always relative. To a successful commercial photographer, maybe not an issue. To a budding student or hobbyist, free is pretty nice. :)

And if you're a big open source hippy like me, then the "open source" bit matters even more. :)

17. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

Cheers for the heads up, I'd been curious about Lightroom but run Linux. Hopefully this will be a step up from my current Shotwell/Snapseed on the tablet setup[emoji14]

18. lionman

lionman Member

Loaded this up in an Ubuntu VM but cant get it to work properly.

I imported a RAF to test it, but int eh Darkroom module (which I presume is the develop equivilant) it shows the thumbnail ok but in the main window its just all white.

What am I doing wrong?

19. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

Or if you're a hobbyist like me who goes through bursts of doing heaps, then doing nothing for 3 months, it seems like a waste (unless you have the foresight to unsubscribe when you aren't going to use it for a while).

20. deepspring

deepspring Member

I'm the same.

I subscribed to Adobe CC when I was still in uni (graphic design) last year, however, I can't get out of my Adobe CC contract until late August-September (well not without paying a fair smack of money anyway). Seeing as how I'm stuck in the contract, I might as well use the software. :/