1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Free / Open Source photography software

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by elvis, Jan 19, 2016.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I signed up for CC as well. I infrequently take photos with my real cameras but when I do they're usually RAW. Not sure why I signed up for CC. I used photoshop for about 30min and then haven't opened it or LR again since :/

I'm going to have to take a long, hard look at Dark Table because if it's decent enough for a home user then like hell I'll keep paying for LR.

2. deepspring

deepspring Member

Well to be honest, DarkTable on my Mac is extremely slow and clunky. I haven't tried the Windows build as yet.

Edit: My Mac is a 13" MBP with Dual Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Retina Display.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I set up a linux VM last night to give it a go. Haven't managed to give it a shot yet as I spent most of my spare time trying to remember how to do anything in Linux heh.

4. Statitica

Statitica Member

Interesting you should say that. I tried Krita and couldn't really get into it. Perhaps I need to spend a little more time on it, as I did with Darktable.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Given the feature list and complexity of the tool, it's not surprising. These are professional tools that can take some time to master.

People easily forget that there is no "intuitive" with complex tools, and that years of familiarity with alternative products had to be learned too.

6. Statitica

Statitica Member

True enough; Intuition acts on prior learning, so it is imperative to learn before relying on intuition.

7. RnR

RnR Member

Just had a quick google - there seem to be a steady stream of Darktable 2 video's being created on youtube.

8. Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah, Robert Hutton makes a few of them.

Darktable is pretty easy to wrap your head around, if you have worked with Lightroom or Camera Raw previously.

It's Krita and GIMP which presented bigger problems for myself.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

The Krita community is enormous, and there are thousands of videos on just the latest Krita 3 release (only a few months old) already.

Plenty of amazing and free learning resources out there. Get learning! :)

10. Statitica

Statitica Member

I've had a bit of a play with Krita now, and it seems to have a lot of the functionality I would be after for what I do.

There are a few things I would like to see added to it, especially if I were to batch edit like I have in photoshop, such as a "save for web" option (available by way of plug-in for GIMP), rather than having to manually resize the image, which makes it a PITA for providing proofs and final images in large batches.

Bloom looks interesting; might have to have a play with the trial one day soon.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

https://krita.org/en/get-involved/suggestions/

Being an open source project, the developers WANT to hear from you (not like Adobe, who don't care about their customer base - I know from experience, having spent literally millions of dollars with them professionally over the decades only to be constantly ignored by them).

The same goes for any other open source project. Get in contact with the developers, rather than posting on forums they don't read. Usually the best way is to add an RFE (Request For Enhancement) on their bug tracking tools, which they allow the public to submit to.

This is the true beauty of open source. :)

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

13. luke o

luke o Member

Nice windows version up, thanks. Will give it a go and see if I can get an efficient workflow happening.

14. millsy

millsy Member

15. humanrace

humanrace Member

Interested to hear people's darktable workflow. Does darktable sort images at all? My current folder structure is

> year
    >> 01 - Personal
    >>> Raw
    >>>>> Month
    >>>>>> Day
    >>> publish
    >>> catalog (LR)
    >> 02 - ShootName
    >>> Raw
    >>> publish
    >>> catalog (LR)

So I basically have separate catalogs for each shoot and one big one for my personal photos. Can you do this in darktable?

I imported a couple of folders into DT and it seems like none of the photos are sorted by folder etc its just all in the lighttable section?

Also, does DT support DJI raw files? It doesnt seem like theyre working for me

16. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

Hopefully see more software like this appearing this year - greedy Adobe and their forced subscription to Lr pisses me off...

17. RnR

RnR Member

18. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Just got my Linux drive up and running with Ubuntu 18.10 and testing between RawTherapee and Darktable and RAW images from my Panasonic G9.

Initial impressions are RT is a bit of a pig. The whitebalance is frigging wacko and can't sort the image browser by EXIF time.

Darktable though - feels pretty good to be honest. I need to do some reading to see how to build a workflow with it and how it manages files (or even if it does at all). You can tell it's made by linux nerds though - they're not trying real hard to make it easy to get your teeth into :p

19. Statitica

Statitica Member

Frpmy experience, darktable doesn't manage the files at all, it just imports them where they are (although I might be wrong on that front). I was using shotwell to import images from CF card to HDD.

As far as workflow goes, I found it pretty easy to get used to. By far the easiest RAW editor I've tried on Linux.

It does start to chug, though, when you've got a few masks applied.

20. RnR

RnR Member

On LInux I think digiKam is the recommended image manager.