Free PDF Editor?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by supasaiyan, Dec 21, 2012.

1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Anyone recommend a free pdf editor?

2. GregDude

GregDude Member

I looked for a good free PDF editor a couple years ago and concluded there is no such thing.

The closest things you have that are kind of free & editable are 1) converters that convert images or word documents to PDF. 2) mergers that combine pages into new documents.

The best PDF editor is also the cheapest, and that is Foxit Phantom. In my opinion it is far easier to use than Acrobat. It starts at ~$100 for full editing capability.

If you do find something new which is free or very cheap, please do tell.

Edit: I see Foxit has a sale at the moment making Foxit Phantom Standard $85. I'm not affiliated with Foxit in anyway but have purchased both Foxit and Adobe products for companies I've worked for.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. shredder

shredder Member

Even if you take 'free' out of the equation, Adobe software (e.g. Illustrator) is still the only thing I know of that can reliably and fully edit the majority of PDFs. Sure there's a bunch of wannabe PDF editors out there, but throw a truly large and complex PDF at most of them and they'll not handle it well, in my experience. If you're just talking simple PDFs and simple edits then it may be a different story. But when it comes down to it, PDFs aren't made for editing.

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

5. Draffa

Draffa Member

OpenOffice can create PDF's. Dunno if it can edit them.

6. GregDude

GregDude Member

Latest MS Office and OpenOffice can both SaveAs .pdf. OpenOffice with a PDF pluggin can import a .pdf. I experimented with this and found it impractical. It tooks several minutes to import a PDF and the format was messed up, so saving did not produce the same result. Actually moving around the document and attempting to make changes was also tedious.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Very much depends on what you want to edit. Text is easy to edit, as long as you have the font, but I've had some really hard times editing some other elements of a pdf....to the point where I just gave up, got too hard.

8. GregDude

GregDude Member

9. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Libreoffice can both open and export to pdf, and the pdf importer is included by default in the install. Openoffice is outdated.

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I open 'em in Inkscape, that usually lets me do something useful with the content.

11. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

12. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

13. jpower

jpower Member

just bumping this since I found this site
    http://www.pdfescape.com
    I was looking for an app to allow me to save a PDF form after adding information into it (it was for a job application) since Adobe Reader would only allow me to print.
    I loaded my PDF into this then saved it back onto my computer and was then able to save it on my PC with the form filled out.
    stuff paying 200+ for adobe products.

14. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Bluebeam is pretty damn powerful for <$200. Haven't come across something it won't handle.

15. moist.au

moist.au (Banned or Deleted)

There's no really good free PDF editor to be honest.

I use a mixture of Acrobat Pro, Illustrator, and Enfocus Pitstop (Acrobat plugin) at work. There's not much you can't do with that combination.

But unfortunately reliable and free won't happen, as you generally need at least Acrobat Pro as a base.

16. neRok

neRok Member

I'm sure everyone knows that PDF-Xchange viewer is the best viewer. I was on the website downloading the latest version the other day, and saw
    "STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS - The PDF-XChange Editor is now available and supersedes the PDF-XChange Viewer"
    I havent tried it, but it sounds the goods.

17. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

There has to be something better than PDF Xchange or Foxit. Please tell me there's something better than these two pieces of shit?

18. GregDude

GregDude Member

No such software exists. The only thing worse than Foxit is Adobe Acrobat Pro. I own both. Editing PDFs sucks. Create them elsewhere or edit them with suffering.