Free spinning threaded rod end for a clamp

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by schnappy, Nov 23, 2020.

1. schnappy

schnappy Member

Hi,

Simple question, I am just wanting to know the name (and how I can DIY/buy 1 off) of a thingy that attaches to the end of a threaded rod and when you hold it your rod will continue to rotate but the face of it not rotate.

Like the end of the rod on a G-Clamp, or a clamp-on monitor stand:
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/d.../SCA_285521_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm=fit

My current impression is that for a once off DIY job I might be better off just using a small, cheap thrust bearing although it is overkill.

2. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

The end of a clamp is usually ball shaped and the freely moving end piece is crimp loosely around it.
    Does the part need to handle axial load or just need to be free spinning? If the latter, then a simple bearing will do, doesn't need to be thrust bearing as long as the inner size of the bearing a tight fit.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  3. mtma

mtma Member

So mimicking the end of a G-clamp are swivel feet

Then you have self-aligning pads, live centres and of course various bearings, which would be more precise. Obviously anything based around a plain spherical bearing will swivel but not intended for continued rotation.

Also if you want a cheap thrust bearing assembled option, a castor wheel assembly could be cut and shut or otherwise modified.

4. OP
    OP
    schnappy

schnappy Member

Thanks for the suggestions, will keep them all in mind. I think 'swivel feet' is the magic words I was after :) Cheers

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  5. spasninja

spasninja Member

Ball joint?