1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Freedom of Expression?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deckham, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Deckham

Deckham Member

Or a bunch of brainless wankers?

you decide...

[​IMG]

2. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

wankers only wish they got burnt with it

not cause im aussie but cause its just an insult to do this to a whole country if you disbelive in some minor things that a handful of ppl speak about.

hope the fucker dies in a terribly painful accident. fuck em

3. methd

methd Member

^^ what he said.

4. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Why anyone would burn the flag of the country they reside in beats me. If people don't like this way of life then why don't they just leave?

As for the image? In the context that this was probably taken in Melbourne then it's a very, very disappointing reflection of my home town.

bazz.

5. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

The Australian Way

[​IMG]

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Member

to play devils advocate and because this is in the photography forum and not some political discussion forum etc.

the photo really doesnt give enough information to make any sort of judgement on whom or why it was burnt.... seems like a poor attempt of a photographer to use a very controversial issue to make his photo something popular off a flickr account.

in alot of places its legal to burn a flag and sometimes its done as a point of protest, i think with the lack of information its hard to really put the judgement forward that the person who did this should go die painfully or something.

This is especially with an american flag as they are less than perfect, hell burning of the flag is done by certain american groups to dispose of damaged/soiled flags as well as during ceremonies by people like the american legion.

7. srey

srey Member

Pretty damn hard to make anything other than a knee jerk decision without knowing why people felt the need to burn the flag.

If it was an act seeking attention, or a poorly conceived demonstration of random anarchy, then sure, they're probably just idiots.

Personally though, I'd say that burning the flag is one of the most profound symbols of protest we have available to us. In the right context it seems to me to be simultaneously both disrespectful and sort of caring, for lack of a better word. Yes, it shows anger, but it also shows a desire to bring improvement (as subjective as that may be), I'd like to think that the people burning the flag only do so as a sign that they no longer want to see the flag associated with what the acts that they disagree with.

The irony, for me, lies in the fact that there seems to be a general disgust at the conscious protest act of burning the flag, yet there's also a huge embrace of the same symbol being totally bastardised by commercial interests, and bogans.

I'm more riled up by drunk idiots wearing flags around their necks, sitting on it, getting it covered in dirt and crap, using it to mop up spilt beer, and then proclaiming 'aussie pride' with their boxer shorts, headbands and beach towels all made from the flag; and all made in the lovely Australian state of China, mind you.

All that aside, it's a very emotive photo.:)

Edit: damn, I type too slow.

8. peewee82

peewee82 Member

There's always a change that the even more embarassing bogans practicing racism and jingoism accidentally set one of the 18 flags they had draped over them on fire while trying to set alight a building that wasn't white.

9. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

meh, there's bigger issues to worry about than a burning piece of cloth. if you let this sort of thing get to you, the flag burners win. hell, i'd walk up draped in Aussie colours singing the national anthem, and hand them some kindling. guaranteed nothing will put the shits up them more :lol:

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Member

totally in agreement,
    the funny thing is they have alot of laws that are broken and no-one says anything about it(americans).
    its legal to burn the flag in protest (its in the constitution) however it's against federal law in these circumstances:
    -The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery",[1] or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins).
    - The flag should never be drawn back or bunched up in any way.
    - The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

fyi: Note that many athletic teams appear to have ignored this rule, notably, the 2008 US Olympic Team, Major League Baseball placed the flag on the back of all uniforms following the 9/11 attacks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  11. woolly

woolly Member

Seems like a very unaustralian and discraceful thing to do on Australia Day..:thumbdn: i'd say they were a bunch of brainless wankers.

12. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

meh.. it's a bit of cloth..

the whole burning the flag statement is so 1960s .. it's meaningless now and only shows the people up to be brainless followers - not edgy individualists like they think they are..

13. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Meh it doesnt impress me, where I come from they do it all the time.

I dont believe in countries, I don't think they've added any value.
    If you read John Keegan's "History of War", he says that the concept of "country" as we know it today, was born in Europe, simply to satisfy the need for unpaid soldiers. Fight for your country, not for your family, or for money. THAT I believe.

These guys? I'm not sure they understand what they're doing, my guess is they'll probably get over it soonish.

I wish I could press a button and the whole world would become Australia.
    Australia works.

14. alex1marsh2

alex1marsh2 Member

you know what pisses me off.....
    these people burn the Australian flag but still live here!!
    If you hate Australia that much
    FUCK OFF!!

15. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Know what I hate more? People who are ignorant fuckers like the Cronulla riots.

I hate people who wear flags as much as people who burn them.

But still, people who burn flags are wankers, its an insult to the entirety of Australia, not just certain people, so they can very well fuck-off and go back to whatever shitwhole they came from.

Note; Im Canadian so I can say anything and you can't disagree :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  16. Lukey

Lukey Member

Ugh :lol:.

17. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

18. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Me after seeing that photo and passing out through hatred:

[​IMG]

ps; thats a good shot :)

19. J.J.

J.J. Member

[​IMG]

If you hate the person above for wearing an Australian flag, you're unaustralian mate. HOW COULD ANYONE HATE THAT?! :confused:

20. alex1marsh2

alex1marsh2 Member

canada eh
    you guys have an opinion on everything eh
    but i think your opinion is good eh
    i don't actually know if you're bagging me, but i'm actually not ignorant eh

sorry just wanted to say 'eh' because somone told me you say it more than queenslanders!!!