Freedom of Expression?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deckham, Jan 27, 2009.

1. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

lol.. have you spoken with a canuck before? the 'ey' doesnt bother me.. but they pronounce 'about' really really weird :lol: ABOOT..

2. buism

buism Member

Ummmm.. nice pictures?

Hehe

Well flag burning is a form of protest as some say, but to live in a country and burn that flag ... well I think it's time to pack and move.

Wearing the flag on your back is getting old too.

I think i'm just repeating what everyone is saying. I'll shutup now.

3. alex1marsh2

alex1marsh2 Member

don't know aboot that ey!
    KILL IT

4. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

hahaha - if you don't like the 'aboot' thing - you really should watch Trailer Park Boys. It is sensational...

5. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

Too right.

I'm inherently suspicious of anyone who's overly patriotic. I mean, this is a pretty cool place I'll grant you, but I don't see why you'd want to get overly excited. Hell, getting overly excited is un-Australian :)

Flag-burning is a powerful (as in it gets a reaction) non-violent form of protest. I'd take it any day over riots, vandalism etc.

Nice shot tho Mark.

Ben

6. THE D

THE D Member

The only bigots are people like you. You are unAustralian.

The army should of been called in to PUT DOWN the racist riots. (and anyone how supported them).

7. methd

methd Member

So let me see. White man arrived to Australia that was already occupied by Aboriginals. White man were the "minority" in a country they "migrated" to. They refused to "integrate" into aboriginal way of life and lived to their own ideals and traditions... and so, set about killing and segregating the Aboriginal community from their own.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

8. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

After the replies of the above 2 people I need not reply to borked.

And I do say about kind of aboot like but Im all Australian-ized now.

And no alexmarsh, I wasnt calling you ignorant, just people who are overtly patriotic.

9. rush

rush Member

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

It is sad but unsurprising that half of the people who post here will have no real concept of what that means, and of the half who do, only a few will truly see how it applies to themselves as much as others.

Ignorance is not a sin. Those who will assert their ignorance though, well they are the reason for all the problems of the world.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's a tough issue and I really don't know where I sit on this one. On one hand it shows complete and utter disrespect for the country of which the flag is burning....and on the other hand it is just a flag. I tend to go with the former as they are doing it to promote conflict and angst I feel. It is the intention that is important here.

11. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

Well, I kinda feel the same way - except it's not the country I care about as much as the people in it. On the one hand, I feel it is unnecessarily upsetting to those seeing the flag as a symbol of their home - and on the other, like you say - it's a piece of material...

A bit like swearing. Words are just words - but upsetting someone when it quite easy not to, is a bit silly.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For most I would say they would feel some anger if it was done in front of them, so perhaps if most feel this way then it is something that society does not want, therefore by community standards people really shouldn't do it. There is no doubt, it inflames a lot of people when it is done, expecially the old guard who have fought for their country.

13. FAL

FAL Member

The Australian flag represents the country, the people, the animals.... To disrespect the flag is to disrespect everything about that the country and its people.

How can you be sitting on the fence on the topic of someone burning the flag of the country you live in and take so much from?

... I'm just patriotic i guess.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You have said everything I have always said, and I tend to go more towards the side of flag burners as disrespecters. However it clearly does not bother some people as I have seen in some discussions here on OCAU. And I can understand why it doesn't phase some.

15. ANZAC_ELITE

ANZAC_ELITE Member

16. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

That it upsets people is the whole point - that's what makes it an effective form of non-violent protest. There's not a lot of other things that get the same reaction that don't involve a lot more carnage.

Ben

17. rush

rush Member

Because a flag is a symbol. What it means to me is different from what it means to you. The burning of a flag is also symbolic. What it means to me is different from what it means to you. That is because the interpretation of such symbols is subjective

Trying to enforce your interpretation of a symbol on everyone else is a matter of pure egocentrism.

One of the first rules in avoiding egocentric behaviour is to realise that your subjective viewpoint is not an objective reality.

If you can accomplish this then you will take one step towards being the solution to the world's problems and one step away from being the cause of them.

18. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

I found this guy by accident, hes quite a funny guy and is quite community based (replies to PM's and whatnot)

Plus all his shit is topical to Aussies rather than the US JewTubers.

19. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

But...does the action and reaction caused, produce the desired effect?
    I say it doesn't.

Let's see - some people are pissed off at lack of rights/forestation/whatever and decide to burn a flag as a protest. Onlookers are either ambivalent (so it has no effect) or outraged - and if they are outraged - they are outraged at the flag-burners, not the supporting the cause.

20. dR MaBUse

dR MaBUse Member

I reserve the right for people to burn the flag in protest, I also reserve the right to extinguised such protest, and depending on my reaction, I especially reserve the right to go toe to toe with fool burning my flag.

The photo was ok,