1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Freedom of Expression?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deckham, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

I'd agree. In fact most forms of protest don't seem to be particularly effective.

Other than bitching in forums, which we all know changes the world :)

Ben

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think flag burning can be quite an emotive issue, and stir deep feelings of patriotism; however you define that.

3. lukera

lukera Member

Old quote but I couldn't have said it better! :thumbup: I saw a few cape/shorts/hats/temporarytattoo wearing "genuine patriotic Caucasian aussies" drinking too much and trying to start fights with people smaller than them (because they looked a little different eg. darker skin, long hair) on Aust Day. Really epitomises the Australian spirit :sick:

And while I'm taking old quotes...
    Such a cynical view.....and illogical. If the photo wasn't controversial, say a photo of a puppy, then it would be OK, by your standards, for the photographer to put it onto flickr? Or is the puppy only being used to attract views? How about a photo of the inside of a lens cap? Would that be ok?

I think it's a great photo because it makes you react, and to therefore question these emotions and the reasons behind them. Many of the people that epitomise what it means to be UNaustralian are the ones who would want to tear the balls of whoever lit this flag. Thats why its great :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

Do you imagine that flags are burned to kindle patriotism?

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No, only to inflame those who are patriotic.

6. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

So you see it as a devious ploy of reverse psychology by the proletariat?

7. Viljar

Viljar Member

I don't understand this sentiment. I feel like so often, the people who love aspects of their country the dearest are those who are willing to go to great lengths to protest against wrong actions / policies etc that the country is carrying out. And then they might burn flags. That's not disrespect. That's deep engagement. Apathy, now that's disrespect (in a democracy).

And I don't get this idea that if I were to protest in this way I'd be disrespecting roos or crocs or sharks or whatever. I mean, chew on that one for a while.

Last, I wish people would stop saying "unaustralian". It does not mean ANYTHING! It's as dumb as a citizenship test purporting to check for 'Australian values'. There are no such things: I challenge you to gather 10 Australians and get them to write down the five values they think are most important and get perfect overlap. For some freedom of speech will come first. For some family values will come first. For some protecting fresh air will come first. For some a fair go will come first. For some SPORT will come first. Keep going...

There is no one way to be Australian, nor is there a way to be unaustralian, if you are Australian. It's BS. It's a propaganda tool. Reject it.

8. NigeMar

NigeMar Member

I am an import and through my younger days I had this sort of thing drummed into about the flag. Sure while I disagree about people wearing the flags and I am not a fan of flags on everything, I do so wonder about people passion when they are running around with the flag and then toss it a heap on floor to go and something else. How can you have so much passion for something and in a matter of minutes let if fizzle...

Maybe I am just unaustralian, I must admit according to the flag guide pages I have defaced the US flag :)

9. rush

rush Member

I agree wholeheartedly. I first noticed the abuse of this term by John Howard, who used it as one of his many tools to manipulate the public.

It is total BS, and I reject it outright.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

lol, anyone can use it (patriotism), and anyone can become victim to it.

11. jastormont

jastormont Member

30 yrs ago aussie's would not really give a damn over a piece of material burning.

Get over it I say! :lol:

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmmm, not so sure about that. A lot old schoolers would have lynched you had you done it back 30 years ago.

And it's what it represents, not the material itself.

13. Spraypaint

Spraypaint Member

I can't understand, if they don't like it and go out of their way to disrespect our beautiful country why don't they bugger off! We should be right without them I'm pretty sure.

14. Archades

Archades Member

All the damn commodores with the stupid plastic flags in the windows, if ever theres a time to burn a flag it's then, along with the car.

15. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

The group, which were 5 guys and a girl, looked decidedly like what people like to think is the traditional 'Australian'. Ie - English.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  16. rush

rush Member

No, you sure as hell don't understand it. That much is pretty clear.

Please read the previous post about symbols and their subjective nature. Then read on about how enforcing your subjective views as though they are an objective truth is the cause of all problems.

Would you like a hint about what is actually going on? Here, I will throw you a bone. The flag burners aren't stating their undying hatred of Australia or disrespect for the Anzacs or any other crap that has been posted by braindead drongos (wearing their aussie flag boxer shorts). They are protesting against a certain area of government or authority who is doing something they don't like. To them an Australian authority figure is a representative of Australia and therefore is symbolised by the flag.

To say they are disrespecting Australia, in the terms that you mean such as hating the history, the people etc, is nothing short of a lie.

Please, everyone, get it through your F****** thick skulls. A flag is a symbol. Burning a flag is symbolic. What symbols mean is subjective. What you think the people doing it are meaning by their actions is, judging by the retarded posts here, most likely wrong.

If you want to continue the problems of the world with mind numbing stupidity then go for it. One more pack of animals in this place aint gonna make a whole lot of difference anyway. (Yeah the flag burners are also stupid for not realising how their subjective view of their symbolic actions will be interpreted by others. We know that makes them dumb, it's not an excuse to sink down to that level.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  17. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

Ahhh...Sirino....I remember him :)
    Without addressing the rest of your post...

I met up with Uncle Rob that day. Some of you may know him. He is aboriginal, usually plastered, and one of the most insightful, intelligent people you'll meet. You have to be patient to understand what he's saying - he takes his time. He was talking to me about the guys running through the streets with flags, etc, and about the first Australian cricket team. Was a great conversation - until my wife pulled me away because a couple of ex-cons rocked up to show Uncle Rob their prison release forms. It was interesting, actually - these guys were your more traditional-looking Australian and displaying their forms proudly, and Uncle Rob was pandering to their childish excitement.

18. s3tTz

s3tTz Member

Maybe someone just accidentally dropped their cigarette butt on it?

19. MatterHorn

MatterHorn (Taking a Break)

I personally couldn't care less if someone burns the flag. I don't know, some of you in this thread seem pretty crazy about something like this happening. I'm as aussie as the next guy, but it just doesn't strike any kind of response when I see the photo such as the one in the OP.

20. [kane]

[kane] Member

Any flag from any country should never touch the ground, be burnt or even be modified in any way.