1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Freedom of Expression?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deckham, Jan 27, 2009.

1. t8y

t8y Member

protesting "invasion day" perhaps?

if so, theyre gutsy..
    plenty of racists coming out of the woodwork lately in disgust of the minoritys opinions on that..

if that was the case, i dont agree with them burning a flag to protest, theres plenty of better ways

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Vote 1 'Rush'.

Summed up well. I think a lot of people who burn flags/bibles/anything generally do it out of a childish rebellion without really considering all the avenues of objection available to them.

If people have exhausted all options, then flag burning may be what they deem an appropriate method of voicing their disdain.

Patriotism is as Rush described, merely a tool to enforce conformity.

3. PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

Obviously you have your values all messed up.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Now we all know it was "settled"...heh :leet:

5. jmeister

jmeister Member

this kind of thing is a disgrace. It should be illegal and treated at the same level of punishment as 1st degree murder.

I'm asian, not even Australian born and yet feel strongly about this. How can any aussie not?

6. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Because it's not the Australian way to get excited about symbols. In this aspect we're the opposite of most Asian societies.

7. ojk007

ojk007 Member

This is quite true. Generally we view our country as more than just a flag, its the people, the attitudes and the values.

However, the flag does represent our country Australia. It represents all our people, our attitudes, and our values. Though our patriotism is not strong enough to send us to war at a burning flag, which IMHO is a good thing as it stops us overreacting.

That said, a flag should never be burnt or (typically) touch the ground. Where just not going to bring out the cavalcade when someone does. Were just not that serious, which is an awesome thing when compared to the levels of patriotism around the world.

8. OP
    OP
    Deckham

Deckham Member

For those that do get stirred at the sight of a burning flag, the above quote is perhaps why. If the flag represents, as said above, the country's people, then defacing it is an insult to the people. I can't remember ever seeing/reading about a protest against a country's people, but only about its government/policies.

9. Viljar

Viljar Member

I take offence at the use of your term "abo". It is a racist term, on par with "nigger". You have reported, and I sure hope you'll be banned.

10. lukera

lukera Member

And I thought it was just short for aboriginal, what exactly does it mean?

11. stiXazima

stiXazima Member

I've heard Aboriginals refer to themselves and their friends as 'abos.'

I have a feeling its just been used as a term by people in a derogatory way, in turn making it politically incorrect to throw it around willy nilly.

But I'm probably wrong.

12. Sumomaniac

Sumomaniac Member

Grow up clown.

You take offence? I take offence at the flag burning is ok attitude, but you dont see me running to the moderator asking for this thread to be canceled.

13. Archades

Archades Member

abo means aboriginal, people prolly thing it's derogatory because they've heard abo when someone has been a doofus about them.
    Australian's shorten words, abo, jap (in america they think that means jewish american princess), brit/pom, etc.
    Some people are just over-sensative to simply shortened words though and will see racism in everything they can to cry victim.

14. MatterHorn

MatterHorn (Taking a Break)

Please explain how my values are messed up? It's a flag people, it's not like they're lighting a person on fire.

Like I said before I'm honestly suprised at the harsh reactions of some people here:

15. shintemaster

shintemaster Member

The Simpsons said it best. Quiet, the mob has spoken.

16. Viljar

Viljar Member

I am amused by the fact that you use name-calling, a strategy pretty well everyone grows out of in primary school, and still request that I grow up.

That aside, the issues you compare are very different. If you take offence at someone else having a different opinion from you, then a discussion forum is probably not the place for you. If you take offence at the flag-burning behaviour on the other hand, well, then no-one here has done anything to offend you (so far as we know). Either way, you know that you have no complaint to make to a mod.

Using a racial slur is very different.

"Abo" is not on par with other abbreviations. It is true that Australians shorten lots of words, but the salient and important point here is that this very term, "abo", has been, and still is, used derogatorily, and as a means of racial oppression.

That Aboriginal people use the term for themselves is also not relevant. You will hear black people do the same with the term "nigger". This is a well-known phenomenon, I believe it's often characterised as people taking ownership over terms that have been used against them. You'll find the same with many other racial slurs, or slurs for women for that matter. That does not make the use of the term by anyone else ok, nor does it make it ok in a forum where nobody knows each other well etc.

Lastly, speaking up for word use does not make one over-sensitive. Words are power. Those who get to categorise events, people, etc., thereby have power.

Consider, for instance, the eloquent and well argued posts in this thread. They influence you more than the poorly argued ones.

Or consider the Nazi's use of "terrorist" for those who resisted their invasion of Europe. Where I come from, these guys are now "resistance heroes".

Or consider a married couple, where one party asks the other for help with the chores, and the other says no on the grounds that they have to "work". By classifying what they do as work, as opposed to what their partner is doing (not work), they get power.

Finally, I'm a white Caucasian male of 30 years, from a upper middle-class background. It's pretty fucking unlikely that I, of all people, should be crying "victim".

17. Archades

Archades Member

Abo will always be an abbrev to me, I really dont care if others use is as a slur as I use it as simply an abrev along with jap, pom etc. the context in which it is used sets the tone of the word, I'm sorry if you're so offended by a simple word but not everyone is trying to be racist when using the word.

As for ownership of other words that are racist, well im a wog and I dont care if someone calls me one, hell i'm proud to be one. people use to use it as a slur but now many of my family, friends etc simply use it as a way to say a person of italian/sicilian/greek/that area. But alas I also have a family and friend base that have a thick skin to words and don't cry like little babies when someone calls us a 3 letter word, racist or not. The oppression barely exists if at all these days as pretty much all abos/aboriginal & torres strait islander/*insert magic word to not offend anyones pretty lil hearts* have a plethora of opportunities like the rest of us, if not more so.

I take offence of you painting others that use the word "abo" as racist when they weren't trying to put down anyone with it, quit crying foul over PETTY things like that and focus on real problems.

18. Sumomaniac

Sumomaniac Member

People that take offence on the IDEA that it MAY offend someone else is where the problem lies.

The Bleeding heart foundation needs you.

19. freelancer

freelancer Member

wat he said..

ps: nice photo :lol:

20. inexistentia

inexistentia Member

National flags represent nation states, which are archaic constructs that will be superseded in due course by a more holistic, cohesive order. Hence, I see their burning or wearing as meaningless, unless said wearers or burners decide their activity should be adopted by others, in which case I am afflicted with a sense of unease.