FreeDOS

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 6, 2011.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

FreeDOS, as the name implies, is a 100% free, MS-DOS compatible operating system. It extends on MS-DOS with a stack of extra tools that give you TCP/IP networking, remote file browsing tools, and stacks of other stuff.

Version 1.1 is the first milestone release since 2006, and brings with it a stack of bug fixes and performance enhancements.

http://www.freedos.org/
    http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

FreeDOS is great for anything from flashing PC BIOSes off USB memory sticks to running old versions of MAME, to using inside a virtual machine (or even bare metal PCs) to play old DOS games. FreeDOS is used in the hugely popular DOSBox, and is also used by software publishers like GoG.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. alch

alch Member

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've got a USB stick that I built a virtual machine running FreeDOS on. What was great about that was it had tonnes of space (not ~1MB, like most of the DOS boot images you get around the place).

Once built, I can then mount it up on anything (Windows/Mac/Linux) and copy files to it (BIOS flash tools, etc). It then serves nicely as a DOS-bootable USB stick for flashing BIOSes in systems that still require it.

As a Linux user, it's especially useful (seeing as most native BIOS flashing tools are Windows-only).

Of course, it's far more interesting use is for playing old DOS games on native hardware. :)

4. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Not sure if this is still current, I tried the previous version on my Retro Pentium and the EMM386 memory manager that comes with FreeDOS crashed Wing Commander all the time.

I switched to DOS 6.22 for that reason. But apart from that I had no issues.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm sure the FreeDOS team would love for folks like you to test and report back. That's exactly the sorts of feedback they need to make their next release rock solid.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Agg likes this.
  8. shredder

shredder Member

Cool! Look at all this good stuff -

elvis likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I know there are a lot of die-hard MS-DOS fans on these forums, but I urge people to try their programs and games in FreeDOS. It's bundled with so many cool features and tools, and all still 100% hardware compatible right back to XT and 286 hardware.

But especially for folks wanting DOS on newer hardware with bigger disks and more RAM, FreeDOS is amazing. Better file systems, better compression tools, better network and Internet connectivity and clients. No need for DOS systems to be silos any more. Get these things connected to your NAS, downloading stuff from the Internet, all the while still offering full backwards compatibility with your original software and hardware.

Vanne, Rass and darkmenace like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

One suggestion that's popped up is for the FreeDOS team to talk to the GoG team about some sort of interaction between the projects.

I personally love the idea of a GoG Galaxy client for DOS. I don't consider it something that might ever happen, but damn that would be cool.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis