Freelander PD80-HD - Bricked - Now Unbricked

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Daft_Munt, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Hi All

Basically I accidentally flashed my tablet with a slightly different ROM (PD80 (Vogue)) instead of PD80-HD, also known as wise. The tablet is detected by Windows 7 but I cannot see the internal storage. PhoenixSuit cannot see the tablet as it is not in USB debug mode, so I cannot use it to flash the rom. I have the files on a micro SD card and have tried to get it to boot into recovery mode but as the tablet doesnt have volume buttons, it is a little hard. When attached to my PC via USB I can feel the SOC heat up.

I am looking at trying the process in this link.

I have cracked open the tablet and can see why the wifi isnt the best, see below.

Click to view full size!

Any ideas? Yes I feel like a douche. The reason I flashed the sucker is because I woke up one morning and it was bricked, power cycled it and it got stuck on the Allwinner A31 boot screen.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Update: It seems the tablet is in USB debug mode, hence no access to internal and TF storage. I can plug it in via USB and windows loads the driver but PhoenixSuite and the Allwinner apps cannot detect it, same with adb cmd (suggest USB debug mode isnt on, but I cannot see anything on screen). I can power the tablet off by holding the power button for 10 seconds. I have tried restarting it while holding the esc trying to get it into recovery mode/normal boot off TF card. I did open the tablet up but didnt do the shorting of 2 pins as I see that as a last resort. Seems the issue is the tablet only has 2 buttons, no volume. One ROM I used sort of worked minus the touchscreen. I suspect I have an RK rom installed instead of an AW. Seriously give the models a different code, Freelander PD80 has a few different models, the HD/wise? with retina, Vogue with a different SoC (A31 vs Exynos) and a non Retina model. Please note that the same hardware is for sale under different names.

The wifi problem seems to be -ve and +ve share the same wire (see pic above, black wire) right near were you hold it. Otherwise it was a great tablet, 720 playback was flawless, some older AVIs failed (encoding?), games addictive but lack of bluetooth was a bit pain. When it worked it was great, then I bricked :lol: Self inflicted so not going back to the vendor on this one. Note to self dont fuck with firmware you dont fully understand? :lol:

3. flagger

flagger Member

Hey you can recover the tablet. Get the stock firmware (Or netway F9X which is what I am using at the moment). http://223.4.236.214/bbs/showtopic-13607.aspx (search for model PD80R162). The current English version can be downloaded from http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=462034&uk=2956444697&third=15

Then:
    – turn off the tablet, connect it to the pc via usb
    - Start phoenix suite, load the firmware bin file, it will say can't detect tablet. The popup will tell you what is below if you click through the instructions.
    – press esc button and keep holding it
    – then press the power button 10 times
    - phoenix suite will start updating in about a minute.

I'm waiting on some plastic opening tools to get my PD80-HD open. Just wondering how you got yours open? Do you recommend a starting point to crack it open?

Have you tried fixing the antenna yet? I read on the Ainol equivalent tablet, people drastically improved wifi by putting a foil sheet between the antenna and the battery. However if the + and - wires are soldered together, then hopefully desoldering them and soldering them to the correct contacts on the main board should fix it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded a few different FWs from the link you provided with 2 different version of Phoenix Suit and different img files. I have tried what you suggested but it doesnt seem to work but I may have been too impatient. :p I also have Phoenix USB Pro and Driod Explorer. I have also emailed the company I ordered it off and they are after what I have tried. I now have a few imgs that I need to sort including the one you linked. The tapping of the power button seems to cause windows to un mount it.

The tools I used to open it up were from jaycar (duratech td-2112), for the iPhone 3 and 4. To open it up I used a the guitar pick tool and started at the end opposite the buttons and worked my way around. Note that it is the inside of the rubber seal and the screen.

I havent done anything to wifi yet, not much point on a bricked tablet. It is hard to see in the pic but there are 2 solder points on the left hand side and I have always thought wifi requires 2 wires (based upon laptop repairs). On the right hand side you can see 2 solder points. I still think it is a silly location as that is were many people will hold the tablet. If I get it unbricked I will will play with wifi. The link I posted in the OP shows someone opening a tablet with a CC, snap, crackle and pop.

5. flagger

flagger Member

Make sure you aren't holding the escape button. You will always be able to force a flash through phoenix suite using the above method, as the internal recovery mode is not overwritten, only the bootloader when putting on new roms.

I installed CM10 and AOKP roms, disliked them (no improvement really, and no software volume buttons in the taskbar), and had to reflash the stock firmware using the above method. Note that you shouldn't see any logo come up until after phoenix suite has indicated that it has finished upgrading the tablet.

6. flagger

flagger Member

Oh and I would only go with the English rom I provided the link for. It's guaranteed to work, so you can at least eliminate the 'wrong rom' problem.

7. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Thanks again. I am 99% positive I have that ROM from the link at home (dated 04-2013). I will try tonight and let you know.

8. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

That worked, thanks. :thumbup: I missed step 1 as I could never tell when the tablet was running, it always beeped/auto detect when hooked up to my PC. I never got pop up instructions from Phoenix Suite before I did what you suggested.

9. flagger

flagger Member

That's great news :) let me know if you have a go at improving the wifi

10. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I had a go at replacing the wifi cable with 2 new ones (ex PC speaker cables), but when I tested it, it didnt seem to be better but that could be my shit house soldering skills with a hang over. :lol: Wires routed through the tape that is there, see pic in OP. And were I am testing, the access point is upstairs in a 1900 terrace, at the other end of the house, so trying to get a signal through a double brick wall isnt the best, laptops get about 3 bars out of 5 with a cordless phone base station in the room. Pic of the wifi points on the circuit board solder point minus cables. No pics of my poor soldering skills. :tired:

Click to view full size!

I have found that holding it around the buttons in portrait mode seems the best way to get a decent wifi signal and not touch the upper side and not rest it on your leg.

FYI the firmware you linked is different to the one it shipped with, screen rotation seems better than the one it had.

11. flagger

flagger Member

Yep I got mine cracked open over the weekend too. Mine also has the dodgy solder point on the antenna/mainboard junction. I also pulled the other end of the antenna out from behind the battery, and was surprised to see it was only sticker/contact patch which was using the lcd backplate as the antenna. Doesn't do a very good job though eh? With the aluminium back plate off, the reception was slightly improved though. See pics below for how mine looks.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I did try sticking the contact patch on some al-foil, then sticky taping over the top (to stop it shorting on the backplate), then taping that to the top of the battery. In wifi settings, it said it was getting good reception with the AP, but as soon as it tried to authenticate it would drop out. Undo'ing my work, got it going again though. Going to wait till this weekend to play anyway. I have read of people soldering in a cheap laptop antenna they get off ebay. I am thinking I might try drilling a hole in the backplate near the antenna patch and covering it up so dust/dirt doesn't get in.

Btw, I gave you the wrong rom download, which has Chinese language as default. There is a English language default rom (same version) at http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=462033&uk=2956444697&third=15. I figure you got it worked out though :)

12. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Yes it was a Chinese firmware, easy to change the language when you have an Android phone to show you the menus. I am also thinking of other mods to wifi but I will wait til the weekend. I suspect the wifi soldering is stock standard for this tablet.

13. flagger

flagger Member

Make sure to uninstall the chinese software on there. I just used titanium backup to do that (himarket is the worst offender, spams notifications constantly).

14. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I spotted that last time and used Titanium Backup before I bricked it. But I have noticiations turned off.

15. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I am doing some testing at the moment and iwifi seems to have improved, previous testing was the play store which is slow where I am, almoat the same location as last time and WiFi has one solid bar minimum. I just think WiFi on the tablet is a little slow. Sorry this is turning I to a testing thread.

16. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Sod it. I am over this piece of crap. Bricked itself again and doesnt want to work with the previous instructions, that worked.

Edit: only real change to my PC is VMWare view install.

Edit2: battery was dead...sweet mother of god, I lent the tablet to someone and the amount of Chinese rubbish installed...now constant keyboard errors...most likely a keystroke logger. 100tv... :lol:

Edit 3: got it to work and I have wiped the tablet with enough alcohol wipes to sink a battleship. Noticifactions turned off. Note to self never lend your tablet to single males...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  17. flagger

flagger Member

Same, mine has bricked itself good. Powered it down, and now it just sits at the Freelander boot logo. Doesn't show the charge icon from usb or AC when powered off no more. Can't recover via the usual method just like you.

Going to get a Nexus 7 (2013) when they are available locally. Chinese tablets can go suck it...

18. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I managed to get mine back to life. Have you updated to PS 1.7? I have and it helped get it back to life. Wifi is still average, sit next to my modem and it goes from full to -1 bar when I am less than 2.5 metres away. I have also canned Airattack as it runs a service that the idiot I leant it to turned pop up one and installed all the dodgey stuff. I have since cleaned out a bunch of apk files and it seems to run better than before.

19. flagger

flagger Member

20. flagger

flagger Member

Good news! Recovered it with ps1.7 :) actually had to leave it trying to boot for about 15 minutes.

Installed the latest ainol image (sdk 3.2) and applied root. This image is really snappy and wifi speed is heaps better, even though the range reported by the wifi icon is the same. Seems they have fixed the software side of the wifi equation.

Heaps of Chinese crap on it as usual, so you will need to root it as the single image doesn't come rooted.

Now I don't know if I should get the 2013 nexus 7 :confused: